Oldham Athletic 1 v 1 Huddersfield Town

Huddersfield Town story posted by Beaker (Moderator) on 03/11/2001
A first half Danny Schofield goal earned Town a hard fought 1-1 draw against managerless Oldham Athletic on Saturday. But Town's defence had to be at their best as the Latics enjoyed the majority of possession and chances in a scrappy encounter at Boundary Park,although it took them until fourteen minutes from time to force a deserved equaliser.Oldham Athletic 1 v 1 Huddersfield Town

Town,still without the injured winger John Thorrington,started with Chris Holland replacing him on the right wing with Danny Schofield back on the left. Kenny Irons partnered Dwayne Mattis in the centre of midfield. But it was Oldham who forced the pace with Lee Duxbury at the heart of many of their better moves. And it was the ex-McAlpine man that had the games first real effort,firing in a low shot from the edge of the box that Town 'keeper Margetson smothered on the line.

Shortly after Margetson was called into action again,brilliantly tipping over John Eyre's fierce drive before parrying a shot round the post from David Eyres. The Terriers then survived a huge let off as Carlo Corazzin completely missed his kick six yards out with only Margetson to beat. It was one-way traffic early on and Town's midfield failed to get to grips with the greasy surface,depite being roared on by over 3,000 travelling fans. So it was completely against the run of play that Town went in front with their first real attack. Leon Knight was given far too much space and sped into the box,firing a delected shot past Oldham 'keeper Gary Kelly that was knocked into the empty net by Danny Schofield for his fifth goal of the season. This was to be the visitors only real chance of the half as too many times passes went astray and Oldham's well-drilled offside trap frustrated the forwards time and time again.

Into the second half and it seemed that Lou Macari's men were settling for 1-0,defending far too deep and encouraging Oldham to get forward. Only dogged defending from Jenkins,Gray and Clarke kept them out and Boothy spent most of his time helping out the defence from corners and free-kicks.Irons and Mattis were fighting a losing battle in the centre of midfield.

And when Town did manage to get into good positions some appalling decisions from the officials went against them. Free-kicks were given for the slightest contact and some of the offside decisions were a joke.(I know I'm biased but these guys were watching a different game to the rest of us.)

And on 57 minutes,Booth took a knock and had to be replaced by Chris Hay.(Please don't let it be serious!)Hay went wide left with Schofield joining Knight upfront. The pair battled well but without the aerial power of Booth they found it hard going against the Oldham defence. Too many times balls were lumped up to them from the back and with Schofield not being particularly good in the air and Knight being,well,not exactly Niall Quinn this was a pointless tactic. Even Nathan Clarke's long throws were aimed at Knight's head when a simple ball to feet would surely have been the better option. With sixteen minutes left on the clock and Town fans wondering if they could hang on,Oldham equalised. But it was more by luck than judgement as veteran substitute John Sheridan floated in a free-kick and Clarke's attempted clearance appeared to rebound off Stuart Balmer and into the net. It was cruel luck on Town but to say it had been coming would be an understatement. The Latics went after the winner and were unlucky when substitute Tipton headed wide with Margetson flapping at Eyre's cross from the left.(Although he made some good saves he still looks suspect from crosses and his kicking was poor at times.)

Town managed to hang on and claim a valuable point which moves them into fifth position in Division Two.But I'm sure Lou Macari will be looking for a much-improved performance when the Terriers entertain Notts County next Friday night.


Oldham Athletic:Kelly,McNiven,Balmer,Holden,Armstrong,Eyre(J.Sheridan 73),Duxbury.D.Sheridan,Eyres,Richards(Tipton,57),Corazzin(Allott,69).

Huddersfield :Margetson,Heary,Gray,Clarke,Jenkins,Schofield,Mattis,Irons,Holland,Booth,(Hay 57),Knight.

Referee:Mr M.Dean (useless)


Beaker's MOM:Steve Jenkins.


There are currently no comments for this story. In order to post a comment, you need to be a registered Terrier Bytes member and logged in. Click here to login or here to register with Terrier Bytes.




10th Anniversary Edition - 2001 to 2011