Huddersfield Town 1 v 1 Mansfield Town

Huddersfield Town story posted by Andy Dixon on 19/03/2003
Three games without a win has plummeted the Terriers to the foot of Division Two. In a crunch game at the McAlpine Stadium, Huddersfield Town followed last Saturday?s poor 2-0 defeat at Colchester with an equally dismal performance against fellow-strugglers Mansfield.Huddersfield Town 1 v 1 Mansfield Town

Mick Wadsworth?s men failed to capitalise after taking the lead with a 51st minute strike from Martin Smith. The home side were pegged back on the 79th minute when Wayne Corden scored a controversial penalty.

8,129 football supporters witnessed what could have been the last ever Huddersfield Town match considering the club?s perilous financial predicament. The eight day deadline issued by Town Chairman David Taylor will pass this Friday if a saviour is not found soon.

Yet on the evidence of this performance, it would be hard to find anyone who went home impressed or willing to plough ?8 million into a club riddled with debt.

After a scrappy first-half which created no notable chances, disgruntled moans and groans echoed the stands as both sides left the field.

Half-time words of wisdom were needed and seemingly heard as the Terriers scored within six minutes of the re-start. A superb, curling left-foot Martin Smith effort from around 25-yards managed to evade a bewildered goalkeeper who apparently thought the attempt was destined to go wide.

Relief was etched on thousands of faces as the effort crept into the corner of the goal and provided a moment of delight in what was mainly a painstaking performance. Lack of confidence made Town vulnerable and Keith Curle?s Mansfield continued to pressure them.

Finally the inevitable equaliser came after some fancy footwork by Mansfield striker Iyseden Christie, whose crossed ball was intercepted by loan defender Jason Gavin?s raised arm. Within a crowded area, this was hard to detect but the referee pointed to the spot. Up stepped substitute Corden who buried the penalty in front of three thousand travelling fans.

Although Town weathered the storm for the remainder of the game, the single point did not stop them plunging to the bottom of the table. With difficulties on and off the pitch, even the most loyal blue and white would now be resigned to accepting relegation.


There are currently no comments for this story. In order to post a comment, you need to be a registered Terrier Bytes member and logged in. Click here to login or here to register with Terrier Bytes.




10th Anniversary Edition - 2001 to 2011