Huddersfield Town 0 v 1 Burnley (AET)

Huddersfield Town story posted by Phill Rodgerson on 01/10/2002
A performance of the season from each and every player in a blue and white shirt took had Town smelling at the chance of meeting the big boys in the next round of the Worthington Cup. But cruel fate and some bad refereeing plotted against our plight to greater things and our chances of seeing the likes of Liverpool or Arsenal at the Mac within the next month have all but faded away.Huddersfield Town 0 v 1 Burnley (AET)

It took a fluky extra-time goal from the man who?s name every journalist fears ? Greek star Papadopoulos - to settle the game, and even then Town had chances to take the game into added time. It was a disappointing night in terms of the result, but all Town fans who came away can be pleased that they were one of just under 6,000 people who witnessed a truly great encounter between these two sides which will still be remembered as one of the best games come the end of this season, I?m sure.

Burnley were quick to attack down our end. Within a minute Bevan was forced to tip a defensive header over his own bar for a corner. The resulting corner was met by the head of Cox, just one of many corners won by a black and yellow shirt all night, but his header was routine for Scott Bevan as it could only be directed straight down the middle.

A very physical Burnley side were definitely out to stamp their Division 1 authority on the Terriers but referee G. Laws was having absolutely none of it. A horrendous slide tackle from Briscoe nearly took one of Baldry?s legs off as he toppled head over heels. Fortunately, he wasn?t injured from the rash challenge, but Briscoe did come away with a yellow card.

After just 6 minutes it was Town?s turn to show what a Division 2 side can do to the bigger guys. Some fantastic movement, akin to many Premiership sides, resulted in a half chance for Stead. It was Stead who started the move with a cheeky step-over freeing the ball to Mattis who bravely got a foot in to knock it wide to Baldry down the right. A wonderful 40-yard cross field pass was controlled brilliantly by Smith who lobbed it into the area for Stead who?d made up the ground, but he couldn?t get over his shot well enough and only narrowly hit it over the bar.

Some good work by the hard-working (for once!) Baldry down the right gained him space to slip a low ball across the area. Left by Stead for the better positioned Martin Smith, it allowed a cracking shot, that caught ?keeper Beresford rooted, flashed past his right post.

Burnley danger-man Robbie Blake looked threatening early on but his antics were soon figured out by Nat Brown. The experienced striker managed to squeeze in a superb header aimed just inside the post but it was well stopped by the man on the post Kevin Sharpe who managed to hook the ball away from danger.

Ian Moore came close just minutes later. A flick on header by Davis put him through, tussling with Jon Dyson, and his shot was deflected slightly wide by Bevan and with Blake closing in for the scraps it was bravely plucked away from his feet by the sprawling Bevan who had a magnificent game.

Some good work down the wing by Steve Jenkins allowed Schofield a chance at goal, but with his head down he missed his opportunity and dallied on the ball. It squirmed loose to Baldry waiting for the initial pass just to the left of him but he could only watch in frustration as his drive was deflected wide by a Burnley defender.

Out of nothing Burnley almost created a one-man-goal on 27 minutes. Tony Grant, from approximately 30 yards out, cracked a great long-ranger at goal catching the whole Town defence asleep. Luckily for Town his effort was off-target and the scores were deservedly kept level.

Having seen Grant?s effort Sharp decided to get in on the act just a minute later. Just outside the Burnley box he let fly with his left foot but his shot was only met by jeering from the Burnley fans as it was weak and miles from hitting the target.

Martin Smith continuously demonstrated his great set piece taking abilities. I thought Kenny was decent at taking corners but he?s just living in the shadows of Smithy. Two quick corners in succession half an hour into the game flashed across the face of the goal crying out for someone to throw their body at it. But no-one looked brave enough to take that chance and Smith?s fantastic balls, which remained consistent throughout the night, went unmatched by a finish.

On 34 minutes the first of two questionable decisions by the referee occurred. Schofield, through on goal, trying to shrug off Gnohere was suddenly tugged back. The rule quite clearly states that being the last man he should?ve been sent off, but the referee saw nothing wrong with the foul, and Gnohere got away with his blatant foul. It wasn?t to be the last decision of the night to cost Town the game.

Again a chance was created from nothing by Burnley, this time as half time neared. Ian Moore, this time, was the man getting in on the action. A well controlled volley settled nicely in the air for the Burnley striker and his half volley was very well struck but just narrowly wide ? again shocking the defence as they realised the prospect of a Burnley goal could come from just about anywhere on the pitch.

Nearly on the stroke of half time a great free kick whipped in by Martin Smith found Jon Stead at the back post, but the young striker, not renowned for his aerial ability knocked the ball well wide of the goal, when, realistically, in so much space he should?ve at least hit the target.

Into the second half and Moore continued where he left off in the first half. Again, the striker tried his luck with a long range rocket at goal, only to see similar results from the first half with it going the wrong side of Bevans goalposts. Once again, Moore was a threat, ten minutes in when McGregor?s cross found him in acres of space only six yards out. He really should?ve tested Bevan but it was the same old story of ?just wide? for an unlucky Moore.

The early second half spell of Burnley was counteracted by the great effort and commitment shown by young striker Stead. Seeing his midfield and defence struggling to get the ball forward to him he decided to take matters into his own hands by tracking back and nicking the ball for himself. His inspired effort spurred the team and the fans and turned the momentum of the game back in Town?s favour.

On 66 minutes one of the most blatant and down-right sly dives by Robbie Blake transpired. A ball played into a crowded penalty box was latched onto by the former Bradford man, but instead of going for goal he decided to go for the penalty. In a moment that should be considered an embarrassing act for the established striker, he threw himself to the ground quite clearly having no Town player anywhere nearby. This went unpunished by the referee and as play went on the ball slipped to Davis who unleashed a savage shot which produced the best from Bevan.

Almost immediately Town were on the counter attack. A mistake by McGregor allowed Jon Stead in on goal who was initially blocked by goalkeeper Beresford. The ball dropped to Danny Schofield on the right, who took it round a grounded Beresford and left him with only the back of the net to hit. Unfortunately, on his weaker left foot, the ball trickled towards goal and was very easily cleared off the line. It was undoubtedly a shocking moment when either of the players could?ve scored, but it seemed harder for Schofield to miss than score!

The seventy minute period seemed to awaken a dormant Gareth Taylor who had been ineffectual for most of the game. Two good chances found their way to the striker but both weren?t taken fully. After getting goal side of Jon Dyson and outpacing the testimonial man he disappointed with his final output when he hit his shot wide. A bit later and Bevan was called into action to make a great stop after Lee Briscoe?s cross was met by the towering Taylor.

The final 20 minutes also saw two changes for Stan Ternent?s men and two for Town with Thorrington and Scott entering the field of play, replacing Baldry and Holland respectively. The two never really seemed to get into the game as much as the starting 11 had but definitely gave their all to take Town through to the next round of the cup.

On 78 minutes Thorrington was at the centre of another controversial moment. Again it was Gnohere who was the lucky man not be sent off. After robbing Ian Cox of the ball too close to his own area and outpacing the defence it left Gnohere no choice but to drag Thorrington down just outside the box. Knowing the importance of the decision G. Laws definitely bottled it. There?s no doubt that he made the wrong decision, and Town were done an injustice for a second time by the officials.

An eventful finish to the match could?ve seen either side snatch a late winner. In added time a long ball up towards Stead by Smith was almost met by the Academy graduate. It was just slightly too long for him though and ended up in the nervous but relieved arms of Beresford. His ball out resulted in an immediate counter attack. Burnley?s substitute Graham Brance drove a great shot to the right of Bevan catching the keeper at full stretch to tip it wide and to take the game into extra time.

The game progressed with two 15 minute periods of extra time and it seemed unlikely that either team would break the deadlock due to Town?s players snatching at chances and Burnley being restricted to long range shots against an on form Scott Bevan.

A good run down the wing by American John Thorrington was passed into the feet of Schofield who released it to Smith in just a bit of space. His shot was unconvincingly fumbled wide by Marlon Beresford, with the resulting corner coming to nothing.

Graham Branch came close to breaking the goalless draw on 8 minutes when he was gifted with a looping ball over the Town defence. Bevan rushed off his line to close down Branch, and he spotted his opportunity for a lob but the enormous keeper was too much height for Branch to get over as he skied his shot onto the roof of Town?s goal.

On 13 minutes Town were dealt a cruel blow when confusion ensued at the back for Town. A mixup between inexperienced players Scott and Brown resulted in the two colliding with each other when trying to reach the same ball. This allowed the pacey Papadopoulos through on goal with only Bevan to beat. The big keeper was no match this time as the Greek coolly slotted home into the bottom corner to give Burnley a very underserved lead.

The second half started with Wadsworth giving one last push to reclaim something from the tie. He introduced Paul Macari, for the best player on the pitch who had given his all and was probably a little exhausted after such a long match ? Martin Smith.

With the game looking beyond Town, out of nowhere popped up Nat Brown on the edge of the area. Some good work, obviously reminiscent of his days as a striker for the reserves, gave him room to shoot long range. It looked destined for the bottom corner but it ricocheted agonisingly off the post. All wasn?t lost and it seemed Brown?s hard work wasn?t to waste when the ball fell to Stead with everything to go for. He wrongly chose to place his shot and it was too easy for Beresford to collect and proved to be the last chance for Town in taking the game to penalties.

With one last chance at gaining something from the game the Town fans urged big Bevan up the field for a corner. The big ?keeper put himself about a bit and caused the Burnley defence all sorts of problems but it just wasn?t enough to get Town back in the game so late on.

Player Ratings:

Scott Bevan (7.5): Very much a spectator for most of the match, but nothing to fault for and some really good saves. Never met corners though, which he usually does, which worried me a bit with such big lads.

Kevin Sharp (7): Got about a bit. Actually realised his defensive responsibilities for once and put in some good sliding challenges on the wingmen.

Nat Brown (8): A very assured performance. Won nearly every header and was always very physical with an experienced Robbie Blake. Troubled a bit with crosses though, but dealt with play down the middle easily.

Jon Dyson (7): Sturdy enough but still caught out for pace on occasions. Often looks the younger of the pair on the pitch between him and Brown and is too quiet for my liking. Needs to be much more dominant at his age.

Steve Jenkins (8): A very good skippers performance. Defended solidly and always kept goalside. Also got forward a lot and put some good balls in.

Simon Baldry (7): Much better from Baldry ? contract anyone? Attacked effectively and the ball in the first half was sublime.

Dwayne Mattis (8.5): Very solid and assured. Never rushed with the ball and always quick thinking. Kept the midfield 3 / 4 together very tightly.

Chris Holland (7): Did the simple things well. Still gets caught out not being ambitious enough. At one point he spotted a run but didn?t dare make the pass and instead turned his back to pass the ball back.

Danny Schofield (7.5): A very good game from Danny after some bad outings. He seemed much more suited playing with the young lads and they?re all on a similar thinking level and link up well ? suits him a lot more. Should?ve scored though.

Martin Smith (9): Exemplary! This is what the young ?uns have to aspire to. A very fine performance placed Smithy well above anyone else on the pitch and his great ability complimented by his work rate resulted in an astounding performance.

Jonathan Stead (8): Always trying hard and showed some fancy tricks in his closet. Still looking to find the net though and is somewhat snatching at his chances now in desperation.

John Thorrington (6): Run John, run! I actually now prefer Baldry to Thorrington, he came on and looked lost on the field and often out of ideas even though he had a fresh pair of legs. Unfortunate to be pulled down though.

Paul Scott (6.5): A bit better than John but not enough time to prove himself. Tried hard enough but didn?t get involved in any of the major events of extra time.

Paul Macari (6): Should?ve been introduced much earlier, say on 90 minutes. Nowhere near enough time to show his current goalscoring ability.


Huddersfield Town:

1. Scott Bevan
2. Steve Jenkins (C)
22. Kevin Sharp
27. Nat Brown
23. Jon Dyson
11. Simon Baldry (off 72)
7. Danny Schofield (YEL 111)
33. Dwayne Mattis
6. Chris Holland (off 90)
19. Martin Smith (off 108) (MOTM)
14. Jon Stead


33. Phil Senior
12. Kevin Gallacher
31. Paul Macari (on 108)
10. John Thorrington (on 72)
28. Paul Scott (on 90)


22. Marlon Beresford
26. David Arthur Gnohere
5. Steve Davis ?
14. Ian Cox
23. Mark McGregor
28. Alan Moore (off 85)
19. Lee Briscoe (YEL 19)
12. Tony Grant (off 116)
27. Robbie Blake (off 75)
16. Ian Moore (YEL 90)
9. Gareth Taylor


8. Paul Cook (on 116)
10. Andy Payton
29. Dimitrios Papadopoulos (on 75)
6. Gordon Armstrong
15. Gramham Branch (on85)

Referee?s rating ? G. Laws (7) ? Bottled it twice, in favour of Burnley each time. Other than that ran the game pretty well and kept Burnley?s nutter Briscoe under control for the match. Still only a Division 2 level ref though, and maybe a Premiership ref would?ve had the guts to send Gnohere off.


There are currently no comments for this story. In order to post a comment, you need to be a registered Terrier Bytes member and logged in. Click here to login or here to register with Terrier Bytes.




10th Anniversary Edition - 2001 to 2011