Match Report - Huddersfield Town 1-0 Millwall

Huddersfield Town story posted by Sean Makin on 13/01/2014
Huddersfield Town's Nahki Wells came off the bench to grab a dramatic winner on his debut in a tight game with Millwall at the John Smith's Stadium.Match Report - Huddersfield Town 1-0 Millwall

The club record signing from local rivals Bradford City, which is due to completed on Monday after signing on loan to play against The Lions, raced on to a flick on to volley past David Forde in the 90th minute.

The match looked to be heading towards a stalemate as Town failed to break down a rugged Millwall side.

It was Ian Holloway's first game in charge of The Lions and whilst he'll be disappointed with the loss there are some positives for him to take from the game.

James Vaughan was still out injured for the Terriers also out was defender Joel Lynch with a hip injury. It was the same Town XI that had beaten Grimsby Town in the FA Cup a week prior the only change was on the substitute bench and that was Nahki Wells.

Danny Ward had two chances inside the first ten minutes but failed to find the back of net. Jonathan Hogg played in Ward but his shot was deflected off Alan Dunne and fell kindly into the hands of goalkeeper David Forde. Ward's second effort was a chipped effort that flew past the post.

Oliver Norwood's poor back pass fell to Steve Morison but the striker on loan from Leeds could only fire straight at Town goalkeeper Alex Smithies.

On the half hour mark Millwall had Forde to thank when Tommy Smith's cross into the box fell to Martin Paterson but his shot was well saved by the Milwall goalkeeper.

Forde again denied Paterson after Adam Clayton had put the striker through but Ward could not finish the follow up hitting a tame shot wide from the edge of the area.

Just before the break former Town loanee Scott McDonald had an effort that hit the post via a deflection. Richard Chaplow played the ball back into the box but Smithies was equal to Morison's header at the far post.

The Town midfield weren't on their game and the passing at times was sloppy which led to two changes early in the second half when Duane Holmes and Nahki Wells came on for Hogg and Ward respectively.

Andy Keogh replaced Scott McDonald and almost made an instant impact when from Morison's flick on the striker hit a volley from a wide angle that flew past the far post.

Another Millwall sub Liam Trotter also almost made an instant impact when Chaplow set up the midfielder inside the Town penalty area but he could only find the side netting.

It looked as though Millwall would hold on for the point but in the 90th minute Clayton's long ball was flicked up into the air by Jack Smith allowing Wells to race to the ball and fire past Forde.

Sean's Star Man - Paul Dixon
Played well in defence making some smart tackle and blocks but also linked well with the attack down that left flank.


Town: Smithies, Wallace, Gerrard, Smith, Dixon, Hogg (Holmes 56), Norwood, Clayton, Hammill, Ward (Wells 56), Paterson (Scannell 87).
Subs not used: Bennett, Woods, Gobern, Southern.

Millwall: Forde, Dunne, Lowry, Bailey, Smith, Shittu, Abdou (Trotter 72), Chaplow, Morison, McDonald (Keogh 64), Martin (Woolford 62).
Subs not used: Bywater, Wright, Beevers, Marquis.

Referee: Paul Tierney
Attendace: 12,651


There are currently no comments for this story. In order to post a comment, you need to be a registered Terrier Bytes member and logged in. Click here to login or here to register with Terrier Bytes.




10th Anniversary Edition - 2001 to 2011