Report - Huddersfield Town 0-0 Cardiff City

Huddersfield Town story posted by Sean Makin on 22/02/2015
Clutching at straws in writing anything of significance at this uneventful stalemate between Huddersfield Town and Cardiff City at the John Smith's Stadium.Report - Huddersfield Town 0-0 Cardiff City

Chances were few are far between and the draw means the Terriers have failed to win in their last three homes matches.

Meanwhile Cardiff's winless run has extended to seven games and they have now drawn four matches in a row.

Chris Powell made two changes to his Town side as he recalled striker Nahki Wells and midfielder Jonathan Hogg to the starting XI in place of Harry Bunn and David Edgar, who were both on the bench.

Russell Slade named an unchanged side which included former Town players Lee Peltier and Sean Morrison.

Town had the most possession but failed to do anything with it when it mattered.

The visitors were forced into a change on 24 minutes when left-back Scott Malone went off injured and was replaced by Matthew Connolly.

The first meaningful chance fell to Cardiff on 28 minutes. Matthew Kennedy's superb left wing cross found the head of Eoin Doyle but Town goalkeeper Alex Smithies denied the Irishman with a smart save.

Cardiff winger Craig Noone then set up Morrison but the defender blazed over the bar from around 12 yards out.

Town's best chance fell to former Bluebirds captain Mark Hudson. The defender saw his header flash just wide of David Marshall's goal from Jacob Butterfield's corner.

James Vaughan looked to have put Wells through on goal only for Marshall to pounce on the loose ball but the talking point of the match came in first half injury time.

Cardiff caught Town on the counter-attack and Tommy Smith brought down Kenwyne Jones on the edge of the Town box as the striker was about to have a goal scoring opportunity. A free-kick was given but Smith was shown a yellow card by referee Mark Heywood despite protests from the Cardiff players.

Murray Wallace was in the right place early in the second half to block Peter Whittingham's goal bound effort and moments later the defender pulled off a superb tackle to deny a Cardiff chance at goal.

Wells made way for Ishmael Miller on 67 minutes but the former Blackpool striker made little impact.

The second half petered out as neither side looked threatening and Powell's substitutions of Harry Bunn and Joe Lolley with just two minutes remaining was very much too little too late.

Town have a chance to claim a first home victory in four when Reading visit on Tuesday night.


Huddersfield Town: Smithies, Smith, Hudson, Wallace, Scannell (Bunn 88), Hogg (Lolley 88), Coady, Butterfield, Robinson, Vaughan, Wells (Miller 68).
Subs not used: Murphy, Edgar, Gobern, Majewski.

Cardiff City: Marshall, Peltier, Ecuele Manga, Morrison, Malone (Connolly 25), Kennedy (McAleny 70), Gunnarsson, Whittingham, Noone, Doyle (Revell 83), Jones.
Subs not used: Moore, Adeyemi, O'Keefe, Harris.

Referee: Mark Heywood
Attendance: 12,798.


There are currently no comments for this story. In order to post a comment, you need to be a registered Terrier Bytes member and logged in. Click here to login or here to register with Terrier Bytes.




10th Anniversary Edition - 2001 to 2011