Match Report - QPR 2-1 Huddersfield Town

Huddersfield Town story posted by Sean Makin on 18/01/2014
QPR's Loftus Road continues not to be a happy place to visit for Huddersfield Town as they came away with nothing despite more than matching their opponents.Match Report - QPR 2-1 Huddersfield Town

Town had some fine chances to take the lead in the first half but failed to make any of them count leading to Charlie Austin putting the home side in front early in the second half.

Town did find an equaliser through Nahki Wells on his full debut but lapse of concentration defending a corner allowed Austin to grab his second of the afternoon and seal all three points for the home side.

Only one change to the starting XI for The Terriers with Martin Paterson out with a thigh injury - Nahki Wells made his first full start since his £1.3m transfer from local rivals Bradford City.

Town took it to the home side right from the off with Oliver Norwood's clever ball over the top finding the run of Danny Ward but the winger could only fire over the bar.

Ward spurned a glorious chance to put the visitors in front just moments later. The Championship's meanest defence were caught flat footed by Norwood's through ball that sent Ward one-on-one with Robert Green but the former Bolton man skewed his shot wide.

A QPR corner nearly lead to a goal on 11 minutes but Town had Adam Hammill to thank as he was on hand to head the ball off the line after Andy Johnson's flick goal wards.

Gary O'Neil fouled Paul Dixon 25 yards from goal resulting in Norwood testing Green with a stinging free-kick that the QPR goalkeeper had to tip wide.

Wells headed straight at Green from a neat cross from Hammill but another good chance was spurned by Town when Jonathan Hogg was sent clear on goal but the midfielder could only fire straight at Green.

Town goalkeeper Alex Smithies had to scramble across his goal when Benoit Assou-Ekotto's cross was deflected and the left-back on loan from Tottenham fired wide after finding space in the area moment later after being picked out by Danny Simpson.

The home side nearly took the lead just after the half hour when Austin's header from Kranjcar's corner forced Smithies into an excellent, point blank save before Karl Henry headed the rebound to the bar.

Norwood had a chance before the half drew to a close but could only fire wide from Ward's lay off.

The second half started much the same but James Vaughan was brought off the bench to replace Danny Ward. Town's top scorer hadn't kicked a ball since before Christmas with his last appearance being Brighton away on the 21st December.

Just four minutes after Vaughan was introduced The Hoops took the lead through Charlie Austin. The ball was played into the striker's path by Johnson and after holding off Murray Wallace, the former Burnley strike powered a shot into the back of the net from just inside the penalty area.

Town fought back with Anthony Gerrard forcing Green to tip the ball over the bar from a Town corner.

The introduction of Sean Scannell resulted in the equaliser for The Terriers. The winger forced a throw-in deep in QPR territory and from the throw-in Hammill tricked his way into the box before supplying a cross that saw Wells score from close range with his head.

Matt Phillips had been brought on at half time for the home side and the winger took the game to Town but he'll be disappointed not to have done better with a header from Simpson's cross.

Gerrard smartly blocked Johnson a shot at goal and then Scannell nearly set Wells away but the striker slipped allowing QPR to clear.

Paul Dixon's poor clearance fell to the feet of Phillips and the former Blackpool man fired a long range effort that saw Smithies tip wide at full stretch.

Sure enough QPR took the lead on 79 minutes when Austin grabbed his second of the match with a close range header from a corner.

Hoops boss Harry Redknapp brought on Traore for Andy Johnson to go five in midfield to contain Town's passing threat and it had an effect as Town failed to create any clear-cut chances as the match drew to a close.


QPR: Green, Simpson, Assou-Ekotto, Dunne, Hill, Carroll, O'Neil (Phillips 45), Henry, Kranjcar, Johnson (Traore 81), Austin.
Subs not used: Murphy, Wright-Phillips, Onuoha, Diakite, Zamora.

Town: Smithies, Gerrard, Wallace, Smith, Hammill (Gobern 78), Hogg, Clayton, Norwood (Scannell 67), Dixon, Ward (Vaughan 51), Wells.
Subs not used: Bennett, Woods, Lolley, Holmes.

Referee: Simon Hooper
Attendance: 17,185.


There are currently no comments for this story. In order to post a comment, you need to be a registered Terrier Bytes member and logged in. Click here to login or here to register with Terrier Bytes.




10th Anniversary Edition - 2001 to 2011