Report - Huddersfield Town 0-1 Charlton Athletic

Huddersfield Town story posted by Sean Makin on 25/01/2014
Huddersfield Town were dumped out of the FA Cup by Charlton Athletic at a wet and windy John Smith's Stadium.Report - Huddersfield Town 0-1 Charlton Athletic

Charlton's only shot on target proved to be winner - scored by Simon Church who spent three months on loan at Town last season.

The Terriers had most of the possession and created more than enough chances but failed to take any of them. Danny Ward and Oliver Norwood were guilty of missing some clear-cut openings.

James Vaughan started his first match since the draw with Brighton back in December as Nahki Wells was cup-tied and Oscar Gobern started in place of the injured Jonathan Hogg.

It was all Town straight from the off and Norwood set up Ward who saw his shot blocked inside the penalty area.

The same two combined moments later on a Town attack but despite being in a good position, Norwood could only fire a low shot that was straight at Charlton goalkeeper Ben Alnwick.

Charlton attacks were rare in the first half and Alex Smithies didn't have much to do. Marvin Sordell wasn't troubling the goalkeeper when he connected with Simon Church's cross.

Paul Dixon and Adam Hammill were causing trouble down the flanks and Dixon's low cross was cut out by Dorian Dervite as Ward looked to pounce.

Hammill then jinxed his way to the byline before producing a lovely floated cross to the far post which found Norwood unmarked but the midfielder failed to find the target with a header.

Dixon's surge forward and smart pass set up Ward who beat his man but his shot was well saved by the out-rushing Alnwick.

Charlton were struggling to keep Town at bay with the wing backs surging forward and Adam Clayton controlling the midfield but an ugly challenge from Charlton's Dale Stephens brought Hammill's game to an end as the winger limped off injured.
Stephens received a booking but as pictures show it was an awful challenge that deserved a red card.

Jordan Sinnott came on for Hammill which made no sense in the first place and the young midfielder looked out of his depth playing out of position on the flank and was subbed early in the second half.

Tommy Smith produced a poor cross when Town had men in the box as the half drew to a close but early into the second half the defender found himself in the Charlton penalty area but Alnwick matched his shot on goal.

With Town failing to take their chances it only took Charlton's first effort on target to find the back of the net. Lawrie Wilson cut in from the right and laid the ball off for Church and the striker found the bottom corner with a low shot.

Duane Holmes and Sean Scannell were introduced in the aftermath of the Charlton goal and it nearly had an immediate impact when Scannell set up Ward who failed to find the target ten yards from goal.

The former Crystal Palace winger took matters into his own hands beating Harry Lennon for pace but his shot was parried wide by Alnwick.

Alnwick matched everything Town threw at him but as the weather got worse so did Town's performance as passes were starting to go astray.

Holmes's low cross was cut out by a Charlton defender as Vaughan looked to pounce and the midfielder himself had a good chance latching on to a through ball but his effort failed to trouble the goal.


Town: Smithies, Smith, Gerrard, Wallace, Dixon, Gobern (Holmes 64), Norwood, Clayton, Hammill (Sinnott 35; Scannell 55), Ward, Vaughan.
Subs not used: Bennett, Woods, Stead, Bunn.

Charlton: Alnwick, Wilson, Evina (Lennon 35), Stephens, Morrison, Dervite, Ajdarevic (Cousins 69), Jackson, Sordell (Green 69), Church, Harriott.
Subs not used: Thuram-Ulien, Wood, Cook, Pigott.

Referee: Stuart Attwell
Attendance: 10,120


There are currently no comments for this story. In order to post a comment, you need to be a registered Terrier Bytes member and logged in. Click here to login or here to register with Terrier Bytes.




10th Anniversary Edition - 2001 to 2011