Terrier-Bytes Mobile

Report - Huddersfield Town 0-3 Leeds United

A quick-fire double from Leeds United in first half stoppage-time did the damage as they ran out 3-0 winners against Huddersfield Town at the John Smith's Stadium.

Despite the Terriers bossing possession for the majority of the match, Leeds made it count in areas that mattered and the game sprung into life during the eight minutes of added on stoppage-time in the first half.

Mirco Antenucci put Leeds in front before Chris Wood doubled their lead moments later then a wonder striker from Alex Mowatt early in the second half killed the tie off.

New head coach David Wagner was watching from the stands and will be able to take some positives from this performance despite the scoreline.

Stand-in boss Mark Lillis made four changes; defender Joel Lynch was serving a one-match ban while Jamie Paterson was out with a hamstring injury which meant a start for both Murray Wallace and Joe Lolley.

Dean Whitehead came straight back in to the side after a one-match ban in favour of Emyr Huws, who was dropped to the bench.

There was also a change in goal as Joe Murphy was given the nod ahead of on-loan Aston Villa stopper Jed Steer.

Leeds made no changes from the side that beat Cardiff City at Elland Road in midweek.

Chances were rare in the first half but Town were having the majority of the ball but couldn't find that break through.

There was a long delay when Leeds' Liam Cooper collided with teammate Scott Wootton as the Whites prepared to take a corner, which resulted in Cooper being taken off on a stretcher.

Young midfielder Phil Billing went off after picking up a knock and was replaced by Huws on the half hour mark as Lolly, Kyle Dempsey and Harry Bunn were causing the Leeds defence problems.

Arguably, the changing point of the match was when Wootton, already on a yellow card, brought down Whitehead in the centre of the park, but referee Graham Scott gave the defender just a warning.

The sucker punch came in the added on time when Jason Davidson was caught out down the left side which saw Antenucci prod the ball home from Stuart Dalles's low cross.

Things went from bad to worse for Town when a slip from Martin Craine saw Antenucci speed away down the left, he rounded Murphy but the Town defence could only block the effort into the path of Chris Wood, who made no mistake.

It was such a blow to Town, and striker Nahki Wells could have pulled one back straight after the break; but he failed to connect with Bunn's shot at goal.

Leeds goalkeeper Marco Silvestri denied Bunn and Dempsey before Mowatt killed the game off with a superb strike from long range that Murphy had no chance with.

James Vaughan replaced Wells with just over half hour of the match remaining and the striker forced Silvestri into a one-handed save with a shot on the turn.

Gaetano Berardi was unable to cope with Bunn down the flank but when the forward got close to goal, his efforts were denied by Silvestri.

Duane Holmes, making his first appearance in Town colours this season, replaced Lolley but his energy and tenacity couldn't make the breakthrough.

A baptism of fire for the new coach Wagner as his first match in charge is away at Sheffield Wednesday before a home tie with Middlesbrough the following week.


Huddersfield Town: Murphy, Cranie, Hudson, Wallace, Davidson, Dempsey, Whitehead, Billing (Huws 31), Lolley (Holmes 72), Wells (Vaughan 57), Bunn.
Subs not used: Steer, Smith, Carayol, Bojaj.

Leeds United: Silvestri, Wootton (Adeyemi 71), Bellusci, Cooper (Bamba 18), Berardi, Dallas (Botaka 82), Murphy, Cook, Mowatt, Antenucci, Wood.
Subs not used: Horton, Erwin, Buckley, Phillips.

Referee: Graham Scott
Attendance: 17,118.


Preston North End 2-1 Huddersfield Town
Report - Brentford 4-2 Huddersfield Town
Preview - Huddersfield Town V Rotherham United
Match Preview - Huddersfield Town V Bristol City
Report - Huddersfield Town 0-3 Leeds United
Town Appoint David Wagner As New Head Coach
Huddersfield Part Company With Chris Powell
Match Report - Burnley 2-1 Huddersfield Town