Terrier-Bytes Mobile

Report - Brentford 4-2 Huddersfield Town

Huddersfield Town head coach David Wagner blasted his side after an inept display as they were outplayed by Brentford at Griffin Park.

It was another poor first half display that cost Town dear as Dean Smith's side romped into a 3-0 lead inside the first half hour of the match.

Joe Lolley pulled one back just moments after the break but Brentford soon restored their three-goal lead with a penalty before Kyle Dempsey bagged his first goal for Town in stoppage-time.

"In the first half we didnít pass, lost possession of the ball too easily and had no movement. It was the worst display Iíve seen from us." Wagner told the Yorkshire Evening Post.

Wagner made four changes from the side that beat Rotherham United at the John Smith's Stadium in midweek. Ishmael Miller got the nod ahead of Nahki Wells after finding the net against the Millers, while Martin Cranie started in midfield to replace the injured Jonathan Hogg. Sean Scannell and Harry Bunn made way for Jamie Paterson and Joe Lolley.

Straight from the kick-off Brentford were in control of the first 45 minutes and took the lead with just five minutes played.

On-loan Liverpool winger Sergi Canos received a pass from John Swift, turned his man and slotted a shot past Jed Steer.

Lasse Vibe tested Steer on two occasions before getting on the score sheet on 21 minutes. The Danish striker beat Town's offside trap, latching on to a James Tarkowski pass and rifling the ball into the roof of the net.

The game was dead and buried with just 31 minutes gone. Mark Hudson handled the ball out on the left flank and Alan Judge managed to find the back of the net from the resulting free-kick with a low drive that went through everyone.

Wagner must have took the paint off the walls at half-time as he got a response from his players immediately after the restart.

Dempsey and Wells replaced Duane Holmes and Miller at the break and it was Wells who turned provider as he found Lolley who fired into the net from close range.

But any dreams of a comeback were dashed when left-back Ben Chilwell was adjudged to have pushed Judge inside the penalty area. The Irishman, who is earning rave reviews at Griffin Park this season, took the penalty himself and drilled the ball into the back of the net.

Maxime Colin went close to adding a fifth for the home side while Wells was unlucky with two efforts for Town, one of which struck the outside of the post.

In stoppage time, Dempsey bagged his first goal for the Terriers since his summer move from Carlisle United. The midfielder was in the right place to fire home after Paterson's shot was parried by Brentford goalkeeper David Button.

Next up for Town is Preston North End at the John Smith's Stadium on Boxing Day.


Brentford: Button, Colin, Dean, Tarkowski, Bidwell, Woods (McEachran 75), Diagouraga, Canos (Saunders 58), Judge, Swift (Jota 80), Vibe.
Subs not used: Bonham, Hofmann, McCormack, O'Connell.

Huddersfield Town: Steer, Smith, Hudson, Lynch, Chilwell, Cranie, Holmes (Dempsey 45), Lolley, Paterson, Carayol (Scannell 61), Miller (Wells 45).
Subs not used: Allinson, Davidson, Wallace, Bunn.

Referee: Phil Gibbs
Attendance: 10,262.


Preston North End 2-1 Huddersfield Town
Report - Brentford 4-2 Huddersfield Town
Preview - Huddersfield Town V Rotherham United
Match Preview - Huddersfield Town V Bristol City
Report - Huddersfield Town 0-3 Leeds United
Town Appoint David Wagner As New Head Coach
Huddersfield Part Company With Chris Powell
Match Report - Burnley 2-1 Huddersfield Town