Report - Huddersfield Town 1-1 Blackburn Rovers

Huddersfield Town story posted by Sean Makin on 16/08/2015
Huddersfield Town had to settle for a point at home to Blackburn Rovers as substitute Nathan Delfouneso rescued a point for the visitors to cancel out Nahki Wells' first half strike.Report - Huddersfield Town 1-1 Blackburn Rovers

In truth it wasn't a great match to watch and Blackburn equalised with their first attack of the second half - only their second shot on target throughout the 90 minutes.

Former Town favourite Jordan Rhodes went off early in the second half after a bad challenge from Dean Whitehead and the initiative was their for the home side to take but they failed to do so.

Joe Murphy kept his place in goal for the second match running and it was later revealed that current No.1 Alex Smithies could be on his way to Queens Park Rangers.

Sean Scannell started after missing the defeats to Hull City and Notts County with a hamstring injury while Harry Bunn was left on the bench.

Ishmael Miller kept his place up front alongside Wells while defender Martin Cranie was dropped to the bench.

Both sides had lost their opening Championship fixture and in the League Cup to lower league opposition but it was Town who were first out of the blocks.

Scannell was causing Blackburn problems down the right and from the resulting corner captain Mark Hudson had an effort cleared off the line.

But Huddersfield got off to the start they wanted after taking the lead on 10 minutes. Scannell's low cross found Miller, who saw his shot parried by David Raya into the path of Wells who made no mistake.

Rovers almost equalised straight away when Modou Barrow, who was giving the Town defence a bit of a headache, found Craig Conway with a cut back but the Scot saw his shot fly inches wide of the post.

Jonathan Hogg played in Wells but the striker could only fire wide with a scuffed shot while Rhodes beat the offside trap at the other end but was foiled by Murphy.

Within 40 seconds of the second half Rhodes went off injured after a strong tackle from Whitehead and was replaced by Fode Koita.

It was Koita who helped set up fellow sub Delfouneso to equalise on 60 minutes. The former Aston Villa striker had been on the pitch for just a few minutes but he was in the right place to fire past Murphy after Koita's knock down from Ben Marshall's cross.

Rovers began to grow in confidence after finding the equaliser but couldn't make the pressure pay.

They were almost hit with a sucker punch when Jacob Butterfield's shot was parried by Raya into Scannell's path but his looping effort was cleared off the line by Adam Henley.

Bunn came on for Miller on 71 minutes as Jason Davidson was on hand to clear after good play from Conway.

Tommy Smith then burst down the right on 82 minutes to produce a superb cross that found the head of Wells - but the striker could only find the side netting.

Bunn jinxed his way into the Blackburn box but could only fire straight at Raya as the game petered out.

Next up for the Terriers is the visit of Brighton on Tuesday night.


Huddersfield Town: Muprhy, Smith, Hudson, Lynch, Scannell, Butterfield, Whitehead, Hogg, Davidson, Wells, Miller (Bunn 72).
Subs not used: Allinson, Cranie, Wallace, Hiwula, Dempsey, Hammill.

Blackburn Rovers: Raya, Henley, Hanley, Duffy, Olsson, Barrow (Delfouneso 59), Lowe, Guthrie (Akpan 59), Conway, Marshall, Rhodes (Koita 49).
Subs not used: Steele, Spurr, Kilgallon, Williamson.

Attendance: 11,338
Referee: Peter Bankes.


There are currently no comments for this story. In order to post a comment, you need to be a registered Terrier Bytes member and logged in. Click here to login or here to register with Terrier Bytes.




10th Anniversary Edition - 2001 to 2011