Report - Fulham 1-1 Huddersfield Town

Huddersfield Town story posted by Sean Makin on 23/08/2015
Fulham struck in the dying moments to deny Huddersfield Town their first win of the 2015/16 Championship season.Report - Fulham 1-1 Huddersfield Town

Nahki Wells put Town in front just after the hour mark with his second goal of the campaign but Cauley Woodrow rescued a point for Fulham with a strike in the fourth of the five minutes of stoppage-time.

It is now three draws in a row for Chris Powell's side but they should have taken all three points at Craven Cottage.

Sean Scannell returned from a hamstring injury and went straight into the starting XI with Ishmael Miller dropped to the bench.

Jacob Butterfield started despite speculation he had not travelled and was on his way to Derby County, who have had another bid turned down by Town.

Fulham were without Marcus Bettinelli, the goalkeeper who performed heroics at the John Smith's Stadium in the fixture between the two last season, as he had a knee injury. So too did former Leeds United forward Matt Smith.

Former Bolton stopper Andy Lonergan played in goal while highly-rated striker Moussa Dembele, who had been attracting interest from all over Europe this summer, led the line in attack.

Butterfield tested Lonergan in the Fulham goal with long-range efforts while defender Joel Lynch went close with a header from a corner.

Joe Murphy produced a top draw save to deny Jamie O'Hara's 25 yard strike as the veteran goalkeeper palmed the ball around the post.

That was as good as it got in the first half as both sides looked cautious.

Scannell should have done better after being set up by Butterfield while Dembele saw his header denied by Murphy from O'Hara's free-kick.

But it was Town who broke the deadlock on 63 minutes. Harry Bunn jinxed his way to the edge of the Fulham box and slipped the ball through for Wells, who lashed the ball into the back of the net from around 15 yards out.

Scannell went close with a header to doubling Town's lead on 70 minutes but Lonergan got down well to push the ball away.

Hudson headed over the bar under pressure from a corner while Bunn caught Fulham on the break but could not beat Lonergan.

The home fans were getting frustrated and chants began to begin calling for manager Kit Symons to go.

But substitute Woodrow rescued a point for Symons as the ball fell kindly for the striker from Dan Burn's knock down and he made no mistake from close range.

Next up for Huddersfield is a home fixture against Queens Park Rangers.


Fulham: Lonergan, Richards, Hutchinson (Bodurov 10), Burn, Voser, Cairney, Christensen, O'Hara, Kacaniklic (Woodrow 74), McCormack, Dembele.
Subs not used: Joronen, Ream, Pringle, Tunnicliffe, Kavanagh.

Huddersfield Town: Murphy, Smith, Hudson, Lynch, Davidson, Butterfield (Dempsey 80), Whitehead, Hogg, Scannell (Miller 77), Wells (Cranie 92), Bunn.
Subs not used: Allinson, Wallace, Lolley, Vaughan.

Referee: James Adcock.
Attendance: 14,283.


There are currently no comments for this story. In order to post a comment, you need to be a registered Terrier Bytes member and logged in. Click here to login or here to register with Terrier Bytes.




10th Anniversary Edition - 2001 to 2011