Report - Huddersfield Town 0-1 Queens Park Rangers

Huddersfield Town story posted by Sean Makin on 30/08/2015
Queens Park Rangers midfielder Tjaronn Chery hit a late winner to take all three points back to West London and leave Huddersfield Town still searching for their first victory this campaign.Report - Huddersfield Town 0-1 Queens Park Rangers

Town can feel hard done by not to take a point but in truth it was a poor game in which both goalkeepers were rarely troubled.

Huddersfield had the majority of possession in the second half but failed to do anything with it when it mattered against a well-drilled QPR defence.

Chery connected with Massimo Luongo's cross with six minutes to go to snatch all three points for the visitors with their second shot on target throughout the 90 minutes.

It leaves Chris Powell with three draws and three defeats in the first six matches in all competitions.

New loan signing Mustafa Carayol was named on the bench along with young striker Flo Bojaj, but Town's other new loan signing Emyr Huws is still recovering from injury.

James Vaughan was out of the matchday squad as news comes to light that he looks likely to leave Town before the end of the transfer window.

Powell made one change from the side that drew 1-1 with Fulham at Craven Cottage. Striker Ishmael Miller replaced Harry Bunn, who was on the bench.

Among the QPR substitutes was former Town stopper Alex Smithies, who joined the West London side in a £2million deal over a week ago.

Huddersfield captain Mark Hudson was making his 400th appearance of his career.

Chery almost put the visitors in the lead inside the first 10 minutes when he got in the way of Charlie Austin's shot but the ball looped over the bar.

Tommy Smith nearly diverted Matt Phillips' shot into his own net on 12 minutes but luckily it flew inches wide of the post.

QPR goalkeeper Robert Green held onto Jacob Butterfield's low strike from the edge of the area - which was Town's only shot on target - before the Terriers wasted a free-kick in a good position.

Chery's cross was too high for Austin just before the break but the Town defence kept the England international quiet for the majority of match.

Martin Cranie came on for Mark Hudson at half-time as the Town captain picked up a knock and the former Barnsley defender came close with a header from a corner.

Joe Murphy produced a good save to deny Phillips' low effort as the Town stopper pushed the ball away to safety.

Sean Scannell was giving Paul Konchesky a torrid time down the right flank and the former Liverpool defender was booked for a challenge on the Town winger.

A player who should have been booked was Nedum Onuoha, whose persist fouling went unnoticed by referee Kevin Wright.

That was to be Scannell's last action as he was replaced by Joe Lolley on 72 minutes and new recruit Carayol replaced Nahki Wells with 10 minutes to go.

Both subs injected some pace into the Town team as Miller hit a shot that flew harmlessly wide when in a good position.

But on 84 minutes against the run of play QPR struck the winner. Jason Davidson's header fell kindly for Luongo who provided a low cross that evaded Phillips but Chery was there to slot the ball into the back of the net.

An international break means Town have to wait a fortnight for their next match - away at Cardiff City.


Huddersfield Town: Murphy, Smith, Hudson (Cranie 45), Lynch, Davidson, Hogg, Whitehead, Butterfield, Scannell (Lolley 72), Miller, Wells (Carayol 80).
Subs not used: Allinson, Dempsey, Bunn, Bojaj.

QPR: Green, Perch, Onuoha, Hall, Konchesky, Doughty, Faurlin, Phillips, Luongo, Chery, Austin.
Subs not used: Smithies, Emmanuel-Thomas, Hoilett, Blackwood, Furlong, Comley, Kpekawa.

Attendance: 11,189
Referee: Kevin Wright.


There are currently no comments for this story. In order to post a comment, you need to be a registered Terrier Bytes member and logged in. Click here to login or here to register with Terrier Bytes.




10th Anniversary Edition - 2001 to 2011