Huddersfield Town 0 v 0 Bradford City

Huddersfield Town story posted by Garfield (Admin) on 07/08/2001
Manager Lou Macari took the opportunity to run the rule over a fresh pair of triallists in the final game of Town?s pre-season programme. Defender Gareth Evans played the full 90 minutes of the goalless draw and midfielder Simon Osborn made a second-half appearance from the bench in a thorough workout for Macari?s men.Huddersfield Town 0 v 0 Bradford City

The home side, with several first teamers missing through injury, dominated from almost start to finish Chris Hay, who continued his strike partnership alongside Andy Booth with Delroy Facey ruled out by a back injury, was a constant menace for the City rearguard before the break.

Aidan Davison denied him early on when the Scot warmed the City keeper?s hands with a snap-shot from 20-yards after Booth flicked the ball into his path.

Midfielder Kenny Irons also gave the Bradford back-four a torrid time down the right flank.

The veteran started out wide with Craig Armstrong on the opposite flank in the absence of Martin Smith and Simon Baldry.

Evans began the game at left- back with the Town bench also containing yet another triallist in Micheal Balding, who featured in Friday?s friendly at Grimsby.

After a brief lull City came close to drawing first blood in the 15th minute through M?Saddek Senoussi.

Chris Holland conceded a free-kick on the edge of his area after dragging Brian Teverden to the ground.

Senoussi unleashed an unstoppable right-foot shot which cannoned off the crossbar. And before Gareth Grant could pounce on the loose ball it was hooked clear by Kevin Gray with Martyn Margetson struggling to get back across his goalmouth.

City gradually gained in confidence and Tevreden dragged a low shot wide from distance on 19. But in the 24th minute Town returned to the offensive to keep Davison busy for the rest of the first-half.

Armstrong exchanged passes with Booth down the left before bearing down on the City keeper. His path was blocked by defender David Wetherall only for Chris Beech to seize on the loose ball. And with a clear sight of goal the midfielder drilled a low shot straight at Davison who let the ball slip from his grasp then watched it ghost past his left-hand post.

Irons played a deep ball back into the area after the resulting corner was only partially cleared. Booth raced in to challenge Davison and sent a looping header crashing off the keeper?s crossbar.

Then Irons forced a smart save from the City custodian at the near post after linking with Steve Jenkins to get past Tevreden to the by-line.

Town piled on the pressure in the hope of breaking the deadlock just before the break. Armstrong almost connected with a cross from Jenkins at the far post after the Welsh defender got the better of Lewis Emanuel down the right.

A fierce shot from Hay on 37 followed as Davison?s goalmouth came under a virtual bombardment. Hay then forced Davison into pulling off a point-blank save on 40 to keep the scoreline intact.

Beech slipped in a low cross from the right after getting the better of Mark Bower. And Hay arrived in the area to meet the midfielder?s centre only for Davison to palm the Scot?s shot over his upright.

Defender Gray got in on the act just before the interval when he brought Davison to his knees with a first time shot from an Irons cross.

The heavens opened at the start of the second-half as Town continued to pressure City. An Irons drive from the right flashed wide of Davison?s left-hand post in the 47th minute.

A few minutes later manager Lou Macari threw on defender Adi Moses and triallists Balding and Osborn.

Balding slotted straight in on the left side of midfield to allow Armstrong to move into the centre.

Osborn, formally with Wolves and Tranmere Rovers, replaced Holland and took up residence on the right flank.

Balding almost scored with his second touch when Davison pushed away his header from Osborn?s corner.

A rare foray forward from Bradford on 67 resulted in Grant blasting over from distance.

Then Margetson easily dealt with a Senoussi free-kick which had been conceded by Gray 25-yards out.

A brave save from the former Manchester City keeper on 76 denied Jamie Lawrence an opener for Bradford.

Margetson came charging off his line to dive at the winger?s feet after he sprinted away from his marker to chase Lee Sharpe?s ball into the area.

Macari threw on Australian full-back Fausto De Amicis and Dwayne Mattis with 12 minutes remaining to add a fresh pair of legs.

Booth and Hay made way for the pair as Balding pushed forward from midfield. The pair made little impression in the final few minutes as City tightened up at the back. But Town had one final chance when Balding shot wide from a difficult angle on the left.


Town: Margetson, Jenkins (Moses 51), Evans, Beech, Lucketti, Gray, Irons (Osborn 51), Holland (Balding 51), Booth (De Amicis 78), C. Hay (Mattis 78), Armstrong
Subs not used: Scott, P. Senior

Bradford City: Davison, Atherton, Emanuel, Bower, Wetherall, Senoussi, Jorgensen, Teveden, Lawrence, Grant, Sharpe
Subs not used: Lee, Clarke, Fishlock, Morgan, Jones

Referee: Uriah Rennie

Half-time: 0-0

Atttendance: 4,435

Match Rating: 7/10


There are currently no comments for this story. In order to post a comment, you need to be a registered Terrier Bytes member and logged in. Click here to login or here to register with Terrier Bytes.




10th Anniversary Edition - 2001 to 2011