Classy Terriers knock Black Cats out

Huddersfield Town story posted by Garfield (Admin) on 24/09/2003
Huddersfield Town progressed to the third round of the Carling sponsered League Cup after a classy 4-2 victory over Mick McCarthy's Sunderland. A 3-5-2 formation which created goals from Tony Carss, Jon Stead, Andy Holdsworth and Andy Booth secured the impressive win at the Stadium of Light.Classy Terriers knock Black Cats out

The match, being watched by 13,516 fans, began with Jon Worthington being brought down by Ben Clark within the first minute of the game. Tony Carss stepped up to take the resulting free-kick and scored from a sublime left-foot strike which shot in to the top right-hand corner of Michael Ingham's net. Even Zinedine Zidane would be proud of a free-kick like that!

After Carss' goal, until the 20th minute of the game, Sunderland created a few chances and went close on a few occasions. Jon Stead then gave the Black Cats a lesson on clinical finishing. Mirfin hit a ball to Booth, he layed it into the path of Stead, who then curled the ball into the right-hand side of the net. It was a strike which will have left a few Premiership scouts drooling.

Four minutes later Sunderland clawed a goal back through Scottish International striker, Kevin Kyle. After a series of well-cleared set-pieces, John Oster sent in a pin-point corner which met the head of Kyle who neatly placed into the back of the Terriers' net.

Now until half-time Sunderland created a few chances, mainly through their midfield dynamo, Sean Thornton, but Town defended well and made sure they kept their lead. The determination and character of the players was superb.

At half-time Darren Williams replaced Joachim Bjorklund in the Sunderland side. Town made no changes and came back out feeling confident of a win.

Nine minutes into the second half Town went 3-1 up and the place in the third round was looking very realistic indeed. Andy Booth's header was blocked on the line by Ben Clark, before Andy Holdsworth tucked away the rebound, before it became apparant that Ben Clark had handled Booth's header. The referee sent off Clark, after allowing play to continue.

With Town flying, Marcus Stewart came on for Proctor in the 60th minute to a glorious reception from both home and away supporters. However, as good as he is, or was, he couldn't find a way past Ian Gray.

In the 87th minute Booth added Town's 4th goal of the night to the scoresheet. The Huddersfield-born striker, nicknamed 'Wooden Legs' by some fans, capitalised on a mistake by Darren Williams and headed the ball over the top of the stranded Ingham straight into the back of the net. The Town fan's went delerious.

In stoppage time Kevin Kyle scored his second of the night to make the score 4-2. However, it was too little too late for the Black Cats as they was left out in the cold by the mighty Terriers who looked way better than Third Division level.

The only thing that worries me about tonight's win, though, is that the team always seem to perform at good grounds with good pitches. However, when it comes to pokey little grounds they seem to struggle, which is very worrying considering the amount of those there are in the Third Division!


Sunderland: Ingham, James, Clark (OFF 55), McCartney, Bj?rklund (sub 46, Williams), Clark, Butler, Whitley, Thornton, Oster (sub 71, Leadbitter), Kyle, Proctor (sub 60, Stewart). Subs: Poom, Babb.

Huddersfield: Gray, Schofield, Mirfin, Scott, Yates, Carss, Worthington, Fowler, Holdsworth, Booth (sub 88, Brown), Stead. Subs: Booty, Senior, Newby, Mattis.

Attendance: 13,516

Man of the Match: Tony Carss


There are currently no comments for this story. In order to post a comment, you need to be a registered Terrier Bytes member and logged in. Click here to login or here to register with Terrier Bytes.




10th Anniversary Edition - 2001 to 2011