Swindon Town 0 v 1 Huddersfield Town

Huddersfield Town story posted by Beaker (Moderator) on 05/02/2002
Ex- Swindon striker Chris Hay returned to haunt his former club on Tuesday night as Town claimed a fine 1-0 win at the County Ground.He scored the only goal of the game after 54 minutes to give Town their fifth win from six games in the league. Town welcomed back Steve Jenkins from suspension but Kevin Gray had to make do with a place on the bench as Adie Moses rightfully retained his place at centre-back after a solid display at Bristol City on Saturday.Swindon Town 0 v 1 Huddersfield Town

Both Moses and defensive partner Nathan Clarke were involved in the thick of the action from the kick-off as Swindon,employing an attacking 4-3-3 formation,started the game well.

With what felt like a force-ten gale behind them the home side threw plenty of high balls into the box and were unlucky not to score on 4 minutes,Martyn Margetson making a superb point-blank save from Danny Invincible when it looked like the Swindon striker would easily score.They also went close soon after when Steve Robinson fired over from the edge of the box when well placed.

The Terriers had plenty of defending to do and Steve Jenkins was booked on 12 minutes by referee Joe Ross for a late challenge.Kenny Irons was brought down by a similar challenge shortly after but Mr.Ross deemed that one acceptable and the Swindon player concerned escaped a caution.(A bit of consistency wouldn't go amiss Mr.Ross.)

Town started to get into the game bit by bit with Kenny Irons and Craig Armstrong working hard in the middle of the park and Danny Schofield causing problems down the left flank.It was particularly good to see Irons getting stuck in after some disappointing recent displays from the ex-Tranmere man (who is coincidentally suspended for Saturday's game against his former club.Is it me or does he never seem to play against Tranmere.....funny that eh?)

Town's best chance of the half fell to Schofield who was unlucky to see his shot cannon off the post after being set up by Andy Booth from Leon Knight's right wing cross.The Terriers had the better of the later stages of the first-half in difficult conditions.

So half-time 0-0 and the the view of the travelling contingent of about 250 Town fans was that if we could get the ball down and pass it in the second half with the wind behind us we could cause problems. And so it proved after nine minutes of the second period when Jenkins found space down the right.His cross was played into Armstrong who chested the ball down for Chris Hay and he somehow bundled the ball past the Swindon 'keeper Griemink and in off the post.It wasn't the greatest finish you'll ever see but who cares as long as it crosses the line?

Certainly not Chris Hay who endured a fair bit of stick from the home crowd every time he touched the ball.Town then spent the rest of the half playing some excellent attacking football in search of another goal.They certainly can't be accused of shutting up shop and hanging on as chance after chance went begging in an entertaining second period.

Only a last ditch tackle prevented Knight from extending the lead and then Hay was unlucky with a volley that Griemink saved well.Hay then hit the woodwork with a drive on 70 minutes after an excellent flowing move that spanned the length of the field.And Griemink was called into action again,tipping Schofield's goal-bound shot over the bar before getting down well to Knight's shot after he had broken free of the Swindon defence.Andy Booth also went close with a snap-shot over the bar as Town dominated.

In fact,I can't remember Margetson having a single shot to save in the second half,even when the home side threw towering defender Matthew Heywood up-front to try and get on the end of the long balls they were reduced to belting upfield. Just before the end,Craig Armstrong spotted Griemink off his line and with the wind behind him attempted a spectacular Beckham-esque shot from the half way line that had the 'keeper scrambling back to his goal line.(Okay....so it was probably just a lucky clearance but after a nightmare journey back I'm allowed a little artistic licence,okay?)Anyway,if it had gone in then it would be a contender for goal-of-the-season,believe me!
Okay...suit yourself.

All in all this was a terrific all round display from the Terriers with each member of the back four playing well,Armstrong adding much needed bite to the midfield and Booth,Knight and particularly Schofield causing serious problems to the home defence.As the final whistle went the players were given a standing ovation from the fans who,after only one league defeat in seventeen, are starting to believe that this team can actually go all the way. You can keep the LDV,promotion is the real aim and if we can continue to play with the confidence we did on Tuesday,then that goal is a distinct possibility.
Up the Town!

MOM: Danny Schofield-excellent in both attack and defence.Probably his most effective game for the club.


Huddersfield Town -
Martyn Margetson, Thomas Heary, Adi Moses, Nathan Clarke, Gareth Evans, Chris Hay, Kenny Irons, Craig Armstrong, Danny Schofield, Andy Booth, Leon Knight
Subs not used: Will be in the full report.

Swindon -
Swindon Town:Griemink,Wills,Gurney,Howe(Young 81),Sabin,Invincible,Heywood,Hewlett,Grazioli(Duke 65),Robinson(Edwards 88)
Subs not used: Subs not used:Mckinney,Foley

Referee: Joe Ross(looks dead like Uriah Rennie....and unfortunately referees like Uriah Rennie too.)

Half-time: 0-0

Attendance: 5,094


There are currently no comments for this story. In order to post a comment, you need to be a registered Terrier Bytes member and logged in. Click here to login or here to register with Terrier Bytes.




10th Anniversary Edition - 2001 to 2011