Huddersfield Town 1 v 0 Kidderminster

Huddersfield Town story posted by Sean Makin on 01/10/2003
Jon Stead's goal sealed Huddersfield Town their third successive victory in eighteen months. It was not the greatest of performances by the Terriers but Jon Stead grabbed his ninth, and the only goal of the game, which sent them to 11th in Division 3, only two points behind a play-off place.Huddersfield Town 1 v 0 Kidderminster

It was a scrappy game that Town, if they played to their full potential, would have walked four or five nil. But, still, they picked up the full three points which really matters. If it's a similar result at Southend on Saturday, then I certainly won't be complaining about anything.

Anyway, back to the game...

Within the first few minutes Stead had the first chance of the game for the Terriers. Booth knocked the ball down to Schofield, who then played it to Stead, who then chipped the ball from 30 yards out but failed to hit the target.

Kidderminster had the first attack of the game on 10 minutes. Williams effort deflected wide, Town dealt with the corner but resulted in a yellow card for Worthington when on the break for a foul on Shilton.

2 minutes later Stead made it 1-0 to the Terriers. A good run by Schofield into the box, his shot was blocked then on the rebound passed to Yates in the 6 yard box, his effort was blocked by the keeper it fell to Stead who tapped it in from close range.

Booth had a chance to make it 2-0 on 27 minutes. A good cross on the left by hard-working Carrs, Booth rose perfectly but his header went straight into the arms of Brock.

Harriers' striker, Williams, will be kicking himself for the wasted effort on the half hour mark. The long-haired Dutch man, Henriksen, ran at the Town defence on the right, cut inside and squared it back to Williams but he miss-kicked the ball.

Schofield went clean on goal minutes later but under pressure from Betts only to see his shot smartly saved by Brock.

Into the second half and with 48 minutes played Booth fired a shot from 12 yards out over the bar.

It should have been 2-0 to Town on the hour mark but thanks to the Linesman it wasn't to be. Schofield's low cross from just inside the penalty area found Stead who put it the back of the net from six yards out but was ruled out for offside. Stead was then booked for arguing with the linesman.

Willams minuted later headed over the bar from a free-kick from 30 yards out.

On 72 minutes Booth had two chances within minutes to make it 2-0 to the Terriers. A low shot from around 10 yards in the box was tipped around the post by Brock. The corner came in from the left by Mirfin, Booth rose and headed it but it was tipped over the bar by Brock.

10 minutes from the end Holdsworth came off for Efe Sodje who got a roaring reception from the 8000+ McAlpine crowd for his first appearence after a 3 match ban.

A minute later a good run by Stead on the right, cut inside and from 18 yards drilled a shot past the post.

An attacking run by Stamps on the right crossed in the penalty area which found Shilton but his header flew over the bar from 6 yards out.

Town held out for the remaning 7 minutes of the game with Fowler and Schofield trying to hold the ball up in the corner of Kidderminster's half. Booth was fouled by Stamps on the right but Schofield's free-kick flew over everyone and out for a goal kick.

So, it was not the greatest performances by the Terriers but at least we got 3 points. However, in all honesty, Town should have hammered Kiddiminster.

Its down to Southend on Saturday and it should be another 3 points and our first win away from home that we need.


There are currently no comments for this story. In order to post a comment, you need to be a registered Terrier Bytes member and logged in. Click here to login or here to register with Terrier Bytes.




10th Anniversary Edition - 2001 to 2011