Scunthorpe United 6-2 Huddersfield Town

Huddersfield Town story posted by Sean Makin on 01/11/2003
Town?s heaviest defeat of the season came away at Scunthorpe United on Saturday. The defence on the day were somewhere else, the midfield was not creative enough and now Town have slipped to ninth in the table. Ex-Town player the prat that is Kevin Sharp and Ex-Bradford player Peter Beagrie were both winding Town fans up through out the match. Scunthorpe were a dirty, cheating team. Town were out classed in every department of the pitch. The referee Mr T Bates didn?t help either - he was the worst referee I have ever seen, and when he sent off Town Midfielder Lee Fowler in the second half, it totally changed the game for Town who looked like they were getting back into the game after being 2-0 down at half time.Scunthorpe United 6-2 Huddersfield Town

Town started off brightly in the opening 15 minutes. The Terriers were pulling the strings against a side who were struggling for form at home this season with just 2 wins out of 8, and then when Peter Beagrie scored everything just went down hill from there.

Within the opening 5 minutes Town were fighting for the ball, giving away needless free kicks, but on 5 minutes Booth had Town?s first chance of a goal. Booth broke free and drilled a shot left footed from 18 yards just inside the penalty area only to see it fly over the bar and into the Scunthorpe fans behind the goal.

On 7 minutes Beagrie, who was dangerous down the right hand side all game, won a corner for The Iron. His in-swinging corner to the far post nearly found Andy Butler but the referee blew the whistle and gave a free kick to Town as Butler was accused of pushing Steve Yates.

This game was a quiet one for Jon Stead - Scunthorpe had done there homework on him and man marked him out the game. However, on 9 minutes he broke free and had Town?s first effort on goal. His first shot was blocked and Stead went chasing after it but, from an acute angle, Stead tried an effort, which didn?t trouble Scunthorpe keeper Russell.

Town could not make their early authority count and it was Scunthorpe who opened the scoring with their first effort on 17 minutes. Danny Schofield was alleged to have fouled Beagrie on the edge of the area - it looked like a dive to me. The player-coach, Beagrie, took the free kick himself getting it over the wall and into the left hand top corner from 25 yards. Ian Gray didn?t even move, plus no-one was on the post to cover.

The first booking of the match was given to Andy Booth. The Huddersfield-born player fouled Barwick on the half way line which resulted in the referee blowing for a free kick but Barwick wouldn?t let it go. The Scunthorpe player started to get cheeky with Booth, who then argued with Barwick but a Scunthorpe player held back Boothy to stop it getting any further. Booth was booked for it. On 21 minutes Beagrie was at it again - a cross was cleared by the Town defence, it fell to Beagrie, who was on the edge of the area, he tried a volley which flew well wide much to the delight of the Town fans cheering and taunting Beagrie.

The home side nearly made it 2-0 on the 23rd minute when a deep cross from Beagrie found Matthew Sparrow from 6 yards out his effort was blocked on the line by the feet of Town defender Steve Yates. But 60 seconds later Sparrow did make it 2-0, When a cross from Scunthorpe Captain and Ex-Town loanee Mark Jackson looped into the penalty area and with the Town defence god knows where and all bunched together like sheep Sparrow hit a cracking volley from 25 yards into the left hand top corner the same place Beagrie had put his free kick in earlier. With the Scunthorpe players celebrating huddled together with Kevin Sharp provoking Town fans by waving his fist in the air towards the Town fans in the celebration.

The hot-headed Lee Fowler was booked 60 seconds later. He went in hard on a challenge on Scunthorpe goal scorer Sparrow that resulted in Fowler been booked. And then finally a Scunthorpe player was booked which had the Town fans up after the referee?s poor judgement. Scunthorpe?s Andy Butler fouled Booth on the right hand side, which has Booth rolling around holding his knee; the ref took Butler?s name and gave Town a free kick, Carrs took it left footed swinging into the penalty area it found the head of Stead from 6 yards but his header failed to trouble Russell.

On the half hour mark Town had another effort on goal this time from a set-piece play. Once again Butler had fouled Booth his time on the edge of the area, Stead took the resulting free-kick from 25 yards he curled it round the wall low but the shot wasn?t powerful enough and once again didn?t trouble Russell.
It was a scrappy game but Stead was booked as well 5 minutes from the interval, He fouled the cheeky prat Barwick who made a meal of the challenge by Stead and again the referee fell for it and gave Stead a yellow card.

MacLean could have made it 3-0 just before the interval when he fired well wide after Ian Kilford had seen a low drive blocked by Town keeper Ian Gray.
Efe Sodje was booked when it should have been the cheeky twat Barwick, Sodje slid in for the challenge and got the ball fairly, Barwick went down like he had just been shot, rolling around making a meal of it and the ref who might as well been wearing a Scunthorpe shirt by this time booked Sodje.

In first half stoppage time the Terriers had two chances on goal, The first came from Danny Schofield he ran with the ball and from 25 yards out he tried a shot but miss hit it but it just flew past the right had post.
Then the idiot (Well without swearing) Kevin Sharp made a horrendous challenge on the right wing on Holdsworth, Sharp should have been booked then but Fowler took the free kick quickly it bobbled around in the area and eventually fell to Mattis 20 yards out he lashed at the shot which flew over the bar.

Half Time Scunthorpe United 2-0 Huddersfield Town

The Terries needed to make a flying start to the second half and could not have wished for a better opening.
The goal timed at 45 minutes and 39 seconds, Tony Carrs with fancy footwork down the left side and got away from his man and provided a perfect cross for Andy Booth to find the far corner of the net with a glancing header. The Town fans went ecstatic and looked like Town were on the verge of getting something from the game.

But then the match turned the comeback on its head for Town. On the 55th minute Town won a free kick on the half way line when Booth was fouled but Town loan man Lee Fowler went after the ball and stupidly made a horrendous tackle on Ex Bradford scum Beagrie, Kevin Sharp went running over and pushed Fowler when everyone joined in to break it up Sharp had his hands raised to Fowler?s face after all the dust was clear the ref gave Fowler his marching orders and just give the prat that is Kevin Sharp just a yellow card.

And within a minute of Fowler being sent off Scunthorpe made it 3-1. Kilford split the Town defence like a knife through butter for the cheeky twat Barwick to run onto the through ball and into the ball and steered a right foot shot into the bottom corner for his first goal for the club. From then on the ref was digging himself a grave with Town fans as he kept giving Scunthorpe free kicks for nothing.
2 minutes Yates was subbed off to be replaced by Chris Holland

But within 2 minutes on Holland coming on MacLean took centre stage for Scunthorpe, MacLean made it 4-1 in the 59th minute after a mix up between Sodje and Gray enabled the young striker on loan from Rangers stretched out a foot and steered the shot in from 12 yards into an empty net.
MacLean was unlucky not to strike again in the 62nd minute when Scunthorpe striker Steve Torpey found him free on the edge of the box to rattle in a right foot shot that Gray managed to turn against the woodwork.

A minute later Town won a corner, Kevin Sharp was marking the near post with the Town fans behind the goal, Town fans were booing like made as he turned around to the Town fans looking and laughing which really winded Town fans up with Town fans responding by chanting ? Kevin Sharp your a w*****?.
Town then took off Stead and was replaced with Nat Brown, Stead looked to have picked up a knock.

MacLean did make it 5-1 in the 68th minute with a simple header at the far post after the Town defence had been opened up again by a left wing cross from Ex Town player the prat that is Kevin Sharp that rubbed salt into the wounds.

Booth then did get on the score sheet again. Hard working Chris Holland who had played well since coming on as a sub. Holland crossed from the left wing, which found the head of Booth who stuck it away in the right hand bottom corner to make it 5-2.

The tackles kept flying in from both sides but the referee giving most of the free kicks Scunthorpe?s way both Linesmen didn?t help. But Scunthorpe exploited Town with a man down pushing forward and looked a threat every time Scunthorpe went forward and the prat that is Kevin Sharp and Peter ?The Peado? Beagrie were getting more involved in the game, Beagrie was running rings round Holdsworth on the right hand side throughout the match.
Tony Carrs was unlucky on 85 minutes. Dirty Andy Butler fouled Nat Brown on the edge of the area and from 25 yards out Carrs took the free kick, drilled it with his left foot and saw it rattle the crossbar and out for a goal kick.

4 minutes from time on 86 minutes Scunthorpe had the final say of the game, MacLean completed his hat-trick after a long clearance from keeper Sam Russell it split the Town defence like a knife through butter again the Town defence was on a different planet. MacLean was one on one with the keeper, Gray came rushing out and MacLean lobbed him from the edge of the area.
Nat Brown had a header saved by Russell about 2 minutes later and then my mates and me left Glanford Park we?d seen enough.

Town were really poor they were a disgrace only player that deserves some credit is Andy Booth, Holland didn?t play to bad when he came on. We couldn?t string two passes together, The defence was on another planet and the midfield was simply not creative enough.
The Town players looked as if they haven?t seen each other before it was a disgrace to the blue and white shirts of Huddersfield Town

Final Score Scunthorpe United 6-2 Huddersfield Town


Scunthorpe: Russell, Jackson, Byrne, Butler (Ridley 87), Barwick (Graves 81), Sparrow, Kilford (Keegan 72), Beagrie, Sharp, MacLean, Torpey. Subs not used Evans,Hayes

Huddersfield: Gray, Yates (Holland 58), Sodje, Clarke, Holdsworth, Fowler, Mattis, Schofield, Carss, Stead (Brown 64), Booth. Subs not used Senior, Mirfin, Lloyd,

Referee: T Bates (Stoke on Trent).

Attendance: 4175


There are currently no comments for this story. In order to post a comment, you need to be a registered Terrier Bytes member and logged in. Click here to login or here to register with Terrier Bytes.




10th Anniversary Edition - 2001 to 2011