Huddersfield Town 3-1 Hull City

Huddersfield Town story posted by Sean Makin on 15/11/2003
Town boss Peter Jackson hailed his young side for a battling display after they gave top of the table Hull City a 3-1 drubbing.Huddersfield Town 3-1 Hull City
This was a morale booster for the Terriers to help erase the memory of the 1-0 FA Cup exit to Accrington Stanley.

Town had injury and suspension worries, Efe Sodje was suspended as to was Steve Yates and newly signed Lee Fowler, and with four men out injured including keeper Ian Gray.
Town?s suspension and injury hit, the young side romped to an unlikely 3-1 home win Town?s seventh successive win at home courtesy of some poor defending by the visitors Hull City.
This was Hull?s heaviest defeat of the season and ended their fifteen matches unbeaten run with goals from Jon Stead, Andy Booth and Danny Schofield.

The opening half hour of the game both teams didn?t create any real chances. Nat Brown?s poor back pass went out for a corner in the opening ten minutes, But Dawson?s corner swung over everyone and went out for a goal kick.

Hull?s 4,000 fans were in silence when leading scorer and homegrown talent Jon Stead blasted the Terriers ahead on 32 minutes after Schofield?s ball was knocked to the edge of the area.
Hull Keeper Alan Fettis came running out from his line failed to make contact with the ball, his teammate Marc Joseph touched the ball past him and with Stead running clear and drove the ball into an empty net for his 12th goal of the season.

Stead was causing problems for the Hull City defence his tenacity paid dividends nine minutes later as he linked neatly wide by Andy Dawson.
Huddersfield Born Stead shrugged his way clear of the defender on the line and as Hinds stumbled in making his interception, Stead?s pass inside set up Booth to stun the Hull crowd again, The Town fans went mad.

As the Tigers clawed and the Terriers snapped for supremacy, it was a tense and exciting match for the near 14,000 crowd watching it at the McAlpine Stadium.

Town shook off last weeks FA Cup defeat at Accrington Stanley to produce a great approach and hard Yorkshire graft in midfield thanks to Jon Worthington and Tony Carrs against the league leaders.
Town even overcome the loss of the inspirational Booth with hamstring trouble, while the young Jon Stead continued to impress and was watched by 11 scouts from Premiership clubs.

Another good performance from Nathan Clarke and was assisted by the height of Nat Brown that kept the Tigers Hull City at bay as Hull pilled on the pressure in the last half an hour.
With Jason Price becoming a bit of a headache for Town by hard working in the midfield, Stuart Green was unfortunate to have a fierce volley that Senior on his first start of the season brilliantly tipped the ball over the bar from a shot from about 25 yards out.

It was in injury time that Hull gained their lone breakthrough, a stunning 25-yard shot by sub Jaime Forrester gave diving Senior no chance but by then most Hull fans had left.

But it was Danny Schofield who put the final nail in the coffin for Hull. Who took full advantage of Hull?s diabolical defending 10 minutes from the end.
Schofield latched onto a sloppy back pass another error by Hull defender Marc Joseph, Schofield evaded two men and beat Alan Fettis from close range.
After the game a angry Peter Taylor was fuming with his goalkeeper

A great win for the Terriers and without such key players.

Huddersfield: Senior, Scott, Clarke, Hughes, Lloyd, Carss, Schofield, Worthington, Brown, Booth, Stead. Subs: Thorrington, Mirfin, Booty, Mattis, Martin.
Hull: Fettis, Dawson, Delaney, Joseph, Hinds, Elliott, Green, Ashbee, Price, Burgess, Allsopp. Subs: Musselwhite, Forrester, Whittle, Holt, France.
Referee: G Hegley (Hertfordshire)


There are currently no comments for this story. In order to post a comment, you need to be a registered Terrier Bytes member and logged in. Click here to login or here to register with Terrier Bytes.




10th Anniversary Edition - 2001 to 2011