Huddersfield Town 2-0 Boston United

Huddersfield Town story posted by Sean Makin on 17/01/2004
Town made it five wins out of five on the spin with a 2-0 win over lowly Boston United at the McAlpine. Earlier in the season in August Town had drawn 2-2 with the only American team in the football league down at York Street.Huddersfield Town 2-0 Boston United
Two-second half goals and both first ever goals for Huddersfield Town came from defender Efe Sodje and young full back Anthony Lloyd to sink battling Boston.
Sitting in my seat in the Kilner Bank i found out that Town made a few changes to the side that beat Cambridge United 2-1 at the Abbey Stadium. Lee Fowler replaced the injured Rob Edwards in the centre of midfield, Ian Gray was on the bench in his recovery from his injured hand and Jon Newby who had been out since September was on the bench after recently scoring 2 goals in the reserves against Bradford City last Wednesday.
Boston United?s first ever visit to the McAlpine and they brought with them the well-travelled Neil Readfearn. The former Barnsley, Bradford and Doncaster player is well known to the Town fans and once nearly signed for the Terriers and also applied for the managers job 2 years ago.

As soon as the ball was kicked for kick off you could tell that Boston were playing for a point with playing the long ball. The Terriers made it hard work in the first half against a side that was 17th in the league. To be fair to Boston they did battle hard but it was one of the ?old men? in the side Efe Sodje that broke the deadlock in the 71st minute.

Jon Stead was once again eyed by a number of scouts. The question is can Town keep hold of the talented young striker or once again sell our best players? Stead failed to add to his 18-goal tally this season but his skills and determination lit up the grey afternoon. Jackson wont let him go cheaply.
Boston?s only real threat came from the veteran hard shooting midfielder Neil Reafearn, He shocked the home fans with a 10th-minute shot that beat the diving Phil Senior and struck the stump of the post and out to safety. He then fired dangerously with free kicks that were awfully close.
Town tore hard in midfield Lee Fowler back from suspension and replaced the injured Rob Edwards commanded the midfield, pulling the strings with hard tackles and superb passing and as ever Jon Worthington produced once again another grafting display.
The Pilgrims survived a 3 minute spell in which Town forced seven successive corners which saw Worthington go close with a deflected shot that was tipped round the post by Boston keeper Paul Bastock. Who minutes earlier tipped a fantastic strike by Danny Schofield over the bar.
Holdsworth, Stead, Worthington and Brown all put in efforts as Town strived non stop to make the breakthrough that the Terriers deserved. Nat Brown still looking for that first goal in more those 50 appearances for the club.
Town were denied which would have certain hit the back of the net for the Terriers, Stead released Schofield who took it round Bastock but he was stopped by the whistle of the referee and was called back for taking the free-kick to early.

Finally the frustration was broken on 71 minutes. Sodje popped up on the far post to head home a flick on from Nathan Clarke.
Stead was the provider for the second goal 4 minutes from end. A great through ball by the young striker, Anthony Lloyd raced onto it, charged in the penalty area from the left hand side and hit it hard and low under the Boston Keeper Bastock with a quality finish!
Jon Newby was given a run out 2 minutes from the end; He replaced Jon Stead that supposedly had a hamstring injury.

Town deserved the win but made hard work of it, A short trip to York this Sunday lets hope we can get revenge for that 1-0 defeat down at the McAlpine last August.

Town: Senior 7, Holdsworth 7, Sodje 7, Clarke 8, Yates 7, Lloyd 8, Fowler 9*, Worthington 8, Schofield 8, Stead 8 (Newby 88) 6, Brown 7

Boston United: Bastock, Beevers, Ellender, Greaves, Hocking, Potter (Thompson 82), Bennett, Redfearn, Rusk (Weathermore 76), Douglas, Boyd (Duffield 70)

Referee: P Robinson (East Yorkshire)

Sean's Man Of The Match: Lee Fowler


There are currently no comments for this story. In order to post a comment, you need to be a registered Terrier Bytes member and logged in. Click here to login or here to register with Terrier Bytes.




10th Anniversary Edition - 2001 to 2011