York City 0-2 Huddersfield Town

Huddersfield Town story posted by Sean Makin on 26/01/2004
Two goals in the last three minutes put the Terriers to fifth in the table the highest so far this season and a sixth win on the trot, Unbeaten in 2004 (I hope I haven?t spoke too soon!)York City 0-2 Huddersfield Town
A game that was re-arranged for Sunday due to Scarborough?s FA Cup tie with Chelsea, Town knew if they won they would jump three places up the table to 8th going above Torquay, Lincoln and Yeovil who lost 2-0 the day before.
After an hour on the supporters? coach from the McAlpine we arrived at Bootham Crescent to arrive to more like a cattle market than a football stadium with the terrace (where the Towns fan were stood) having a 7-foot fence around it.
The team had changed to the one that beat Boston United a week earlier, 18 goal hitman Jon Stead was out with a supposed hamstring injury, Andy Booth who all week the Examiner and Town websites said that he would be on the bench for the York City game, He wasn?t and watched the game from the stands.
This meant that Jon Newby had his first start since 20th of September along side Nat Brown up front with a 5 man midfield of Holdsworth, Fowler, Worthington, Schofield and Lloyd and the ?3 musketeers? at the back of Yates, Sodje who was captain and Nathan Clarke.
York City has back Chris Smith and Ex-Town player Darren Edmondson who both went straight into the side against Town having lost to Northampton Town 2-0 a week ago. The well-travelled Lee Nogan was in attack for York and is also assistant to manager Chris Brass.

Danny Schofield and David Mirfin grabbed the goals in the dying minutes of the game left.
Mirfin stole the show with his quality finish to send home the 3,000 plus from West Yorkshire going home with delight and realising that automatic promotion could really happen.
Mirfin produced magic stuff after 87 and ten minutes of being on the pitch, His flick fooled two York defenders, Both chased after Mirfin but he shook them off well, He fired a shot from the edge of the area York keeper Ovendale made a right howler of it and Danny Schofield was in the right place at the right time to simply slot it into the back of net from around 6 yards, The Town fans went bananas I for one could not hide the joy. Jackson leaping in the area in the dugout he could not hide it either.
It was deafening behind the goal as Town fans sung their hearts out and less than a minute later the substitute David Mirfin put the final nail in the coffin and killed the game off. Mirfin broke free again and once again shook off two York defenders; The Young Mirfin charged into the penalty area and coolly slid the ball under Ovendale and into the net what a quality finish for a lad that?s meant to be a defender. Mirfin?s face lit up if Brown hadn?t had jumped on him he?d have probably climbed over the fence to the Town fans that?s how much it meant to him.

But 12 minutes earlier before Mirfin came on the pitch, Senior made a fantastic game that would have changed the game it if had of gone in, A cross in from the right from Smith after linking with Edmondson the ball bobbled around in the area, Bullock lashed a shot that was heading for the bottom corner but Senior got down brilliantly to tip it round the post.
Mirfin too should have got a second. Deep into stoppage time he shook off defenders again, Ovendale came rushing out, Mirfin tried to chip it over the keeper but unfortunatly it went straight into the arms of Ovendale.
It didn?t matter to the Town fans we?d bagged the 3 points and a further push towards an automatic promotion spot. But the side in the second half every player deserved credit.
In the first half it was a scrappy game with easy side lacking that killer touch and both teams final ball was poor but Town made sure they got stuck in this time, the midfield made sure York was under pressure chasing the ball and charging them down making sure York couldn?t play and didn?t lye down like they did when York came to the McAlpine last August.
There was no little action in the first half the best chance Town had was in the 7th minute when a Holdsworth cross found Schofield who didn?t hit it with enough venom which resulted going straight into the arms of Ovendale. York had a real chance early on when the ball bobbled round in the area from a corner which a York player hit it well but Senior got down well and did very well to keep hold of it.
Ovendale was in goal, which the Town fans were behind in the second half and he got some stick from the 3,000 plus crowd-throwing stuff at him he turned around and said thanks and picked something up which I did not quite see what it was.
During the first 10 minutes of the second half a player went down injured and with Town fans calling Ovendale a fat b****** he turned around and grabbed his belly and pulled a funny face which gave the Town fans a laugh.

Town came out will all guns blazing for the second half attacking and keeping possession and Schofield was unlucky and it would have been one of the goals on the season if that went in, A cross from the left by Fowler found Schofield waiting on the edge of the area, He hit it on the volley which Ovendale brilliantly tipped it over the bar.
Worthington and Lloyd both had chances so too did Efe Sodje who caused problems from a free kick. Poor Johnny Worthington went down when a blasted Schofield shot hit Worthington but unfortunately it hit him where it hurts (every fella will know what I mean) that must of made his eyes water.
Then it was York?s turn to pile on the pressure and with Town on the back foot we looked like we were playing for a point and even more so when we took off Newby for David Mirfin.
Darren Dunning should have scored with an easy header put he planted in the York stand behind the goal and Bullock thought he?s scored with 10 minutes to go on to hold his head in his hands when Senior tipped it round the post.

Schofield and Mirfin then got the party started with 2 goals in the last 3 minutes for s storming finale with Mirfin stealing the show. The players at the end huddled together before celebrating in front of the 3.000 plus crowd that came to watch.
The defence of Yates, Sodje and Clarke played brilliantly the team spirit must be booming. The team played as one and every player that played deserves credit.

Bring on Bristol Rovers next week!
York: Ovendale, Edmondson, Merris, Brass, Hope, Ward, Cooper, Dunning, Smith, Bullock, Nogan (Yalcin 77)

Town: Senior 8, Holdsworth 7, Lloyd 7. Yates 8, Sodje 8, Clarke 10*, Fowler 8, Worthington 8, Schofield 9, Brown 7, Newby 7 (Mirfin 77) 8

Town subs not used: Gray, Edwards, Holland, Mattis


There are currently no comments for this story. In order to post a comment, you need to be a registered Terrier Bytes member and logged in. Click here to login or here to register with Terrier Bytes.




10th Anniversary Edition - 2001 to 2011