Hull City 0-0 Huddersfield Town

Huddersfield Town story posted by Sean Makin on 24/04/2004
Town held out for a point at the KC Stadium in a sunny and hot day. A Town side which was unchanged from the 1-0 win down at Northampton last Tuesday spoiled the Tigers promotion party by a Town side that fought for every ball but there were chances for Peter Taylor?s side who were the better at creating chances but just simply didn?t nail them down.Hull City 0-0 Huddersfield Town

Junior Lewis had a first half goal chalked off for shirt pulling for the delight of the 4,000+ travelling Town fans and Hull?s on loan midfielder suffered agony again at the death when Town keeper Paul Rachubka who had a fantastic game performed heroics to keep the out his header.
The Terriers could have nicked the points themselves just after the break when the young John McAliskey spurned a golden opportunity from close range. Town didn?t really make any clear cut chances but kept the Tigers at bay with excellent defending and hard work all round but once again the veteran Steve Yates had another great game.

In the end, both sides must wait for the points that will see them promoted, Doncaster look sure to be champions after beating relegation threaten York City while Town need four points out the games with Mansfield at home and Cheltenham away to see them promoted but Town could make it with a win or possibly a draw with Mansfield but Torquay must lose to Kidderminster who have beaten Town and play well against sides who are near the top.
While the Town made the more confident start from the kick off. With Tony Carrs sending a 30-yard free-kick over the bar and McAliskey ballooning the ball over the bar with a shot on the turn from eight yards out which looked a difficult angle, The game was nervy with the players feeling the tension among both sets of supporters.

Hull struggled in the first quarter of an hour to create any worthwhile, But finally awoke when Danny Allsopp got on the end of Green?s centre cross to flash a header wide.
Before Town could regroup, Hull?s Allsopp was once again in the thick of it as he forced keeper Rachubka to desperately block his shot from six yards, The home side then pilled on the pressure but the Town defence stood firm as Alton Thelwell?s driven effort evaded both Allsopp and fat Burgess as it flew across goal and well wide.

Town were restricted to isolated breaking forward, They had Rachubka to thank with 24 minutes gone, When he superbly turned aside Stuart Elliot?s header which looked certain to hit back of the net from a Green free-kick which was pinpoint from the left wing.
From the resulting corner from the Rachubka save, Lewis planted a header into the back of the net only to his joy to turn to despair as the referee ruled out his goal for an alleged shirt pulling by a Hull City player which brought a huge sigh of relief to the travelling Town fans. The referee was one of the best I?ve seen in this division all season!

Having weathered the storm, Town responded when Booth forced Boaz Myhill into a diving save with a close range volley as half time approached.
The Terriers missed a great chance to take the lead early in the second half on 53 minutes, Anthony Lloyd hung up a cross beyond the far post, Booth headed the ball back across goal but McAliskey miscued his shot from only three yards out which game the Hull keeper Myhill no trouble.

Minutes later Hull was a fraction away from taking the lead, Allsopp cut open the Town defence, He only had Rachubka to beat, His shot beat Rachubka only to see it roll inches past the post and out for a goal kick.
Urged by the Hull fans, Hull created another chance shortly afterwards, but once again Rachubka came to the rescue diving at Burgess feet, Burgess came worse off out of the two and had to be carried off.

Eight minutes left, Town dozed off from a Hull corner kick from the right taken by Green, but the ball wouldn?t land quickly enough for Lewis as he lashed at the ball over to see it harmlessly fly well over the bar.
With seconds ticking down in added time, the chance that Hull had been pressing for came their way, Skipper In Ashbee floated a delicious cross to the far post, Lewis met it with a firm header but the Tigers turned away in utter disbelief as Rachubka performed heroics to cling on to the ball on the line.

A good result for Town seeing as they never made any clear cut chances, The promotion party will have to hang on until this Saturday against Mansfield or in over a week away at Cheltenham, I personally don?t want it to go down to the last day of the season lets hope we win against Mansfield but they are playing for a play-off place and lets hope Kidderminster do us a favour and bear Torquay come on Kidderminster! I would also like to say that the police at Hull was outrageous letting both set of supporters out at the same time knowing that trouble had been long brewing before the match.

Sean?s Man Of The Match: Paul Rachubka ? Made some fantastic saves to keep the Tigers at bay I agree he could be the best on loan keeper we?ve had since Steve Harper.

Hull: Myhill, Thelwell, Joseph, Delaney, Dawson, Green, Ashbee, Lewis, Elliott, Allsopp, Burgess. Subs: Musselwhite, Walters, France, Forrester, Hinds.
Huddersfield: Rachubka 9*, Yates 8, Sodje 8, Mirfin 8, Lloyd 7, Carss 7, Schofield 7, Worthington 7, Holdsworth 7, McAliskey 7, Booth 7. Subs: Senior, Edwards, Hughes, Scott, Harkins.
Referee: P Danson (Leicestershire).


There are currently no comments for this story. In order to post a comment, you need to be a registered Terrier Bytes member and logged in. Click here to login or here to register with Terrier Bytes.




10th Anniversary Edition - 2001 to 2011