Lincoln City 1-2 Huddersfield Town

Huddersfield Town story posted by Sean Makin on 15/05/2004
In the 1st leg of the play-off semi-final at Lincoln on Saturday Veteran Iffy Onuora inspired the Terriers to a battling win over last year play-off finalist Lincoln at Sincil Bank.Lincoln City 1-2 Huddersfield Town
Ten years since leaving Huddersfield, Iffy Onuora who was part of the 1991/92 team that lost in the play-offs to Peterborough made a magical return to be a Town hero. Iffy, brought in on a free transfer from Tranmere in March just before the transfer deadline, Grabbed a forth minute header which stunned Lincoln and sparked the Terriers to a priceless lead going in the match, the 2nd leg on Wednesday night at the McAlpine.

Town played well and all the players played a part and deserve credit, Defender David Mirfin summed up the battling qualities of Town by grabbing the winner (not for the first time this season) giving Town a vital lead after Gary Fletcher scrambled in a second half leveller.
If Town had any pre-match nerves they were quickly vanished by Onuora?s header within four minutes. It stemmed from the second of two corners and with another old boy in the side Rob Edwards his first start since January, Swung in swinging corners which the Lincoln defence and goalkeeper Marriott miss-timed his punch from an Efe Sodje throw in as he clattered in to his own defender.

Town travelled in numbers, a total of 2,260 made the trip across the Pennines and packed in the little stadium and were on their feet in delight after only four minutes as Edwards in swinging corner from the right and Onuora thumped in the header at the near post beating the keeper.
Moments before, Schofield tried an effort that was straight at Marriott, then Booth had a chance to shock the Imps further when Edwards, an impressive figure in Town?s midfield, delivered a free-kick that Booth headed wide.

Paul Rachubka rescued Town by diving at the feet of giant striker Marcus Richardson when he was sent clear by Futcher, But it was a strong show by Town as the packed the midfield with experience and youth with Booth and Onuora causing problems up front and for the Lincoln defence with there show of strength. Schofield who surged forward at every opportunity to support the front two.

As Lincoln stepped up the pressure in the second half, Sodje who was battling Richardson throughout the match, Mirfin and Yates stood firm at the back. Town had a scare when Futcher turned a free-kick from Ellison inside and Richardson poked it wide from yards out.
Simon Yeo also headed wide as Lincoln pilled on the pressure in a desperate search to get an equalizer.
The Lincoln Crowd thought Yeo should have done better then a drive straight at Rachubka who then combined with Holdworth in blocking the threatening Fletcher.

Lincoln?s pressure paid off on 51 minutes, Fletcher ramming in a loose ball from close range after Rachunbka blocked efforts from Ellison and Richardson when a long thrown caused the Town defence problems.
Rachubka then brilliantly turned over a fierce drive from Yeo
Lincoln pilled on the pressure to make it 2-1 with and on 68 minutes nearly did that just so, Yeo broke past Sodje to deliver a low cross that Richardson failed to connect with the goal at his mercy.

But then the home fans were shocked into silence on 71 minutes with Mirfin grabbing Town?s second vital goal which proved to be a winner.
Schofield?s corner was met superbly by Booth, whose header which Marriott failed to hold and with the Lincoln defence trying to clear the ball Mirfin slid in and squeezed the ball in at the far post.
When Rachubka failed to hold on to Ellison?s stinging drive. Sodje crisply cleared the danger.

Then Town?s keeper had to race well out the box to deny Ellison as Lincoln pilled on the pressure with pumping the ball long from the back.

Town stood firm after air raid long balls from Lincoln into the Town penalty are, Yates was replaced by Paul Scott with a cut head. The Town fans chanted ?Going up? in the last few minutes and the Town fans headed back to Huddersfield in a joyful mood.

Lincoln City: Marriott, Weaver (Wilford 81), Bloomer, Futcher, Bailey, Butcher, Gain, Ellison, Fletcher, Richardson (Green 86), Yeo

Town: Rachubka, Mirfin, Sodje, Yates (Scott 90), Holdsworth, Schofield, Worthington, Edwards, Lloyd, Booth, Onuora (Abbott 75)

Sean?s Man Of The Match:- This was hard to pick between Danny Schofield and Rob Edwards but I decided to go for Rob Edwards who battled hard in midfield and caused the Lincoln defence problems from corners and free-kicks.


There are currently no comments for this story. In order to post a comment, you need to be a registered Terrier Bytes member and logged in. Click here to login or here to register with Terrier Bytes.




10th Anniversary Edition - 2001 to 2011