Huddersfield Town 1 - 0 Sheffield Wednesday

Huddersfield Town story posted by Neil Armstead on 29/03/2005
Jon Worthington fired home the only goal of the game to gift Town a fairly comfortable, if not slender, win over local rivals Sheffield Wednesday who had been reduced to 10 men late in the first half after Alex Bruce's lunge at the impressive Adnan Ahmed, which earned him his first red card of the season. That made it three consecutive wins and another shut-out from Paul Rachubka.Huddersfield Town 1 - 0 Sheffield Wednesday
Town started with Rachubka in goal, with a back four of Mirfin, Edwards, Tom Clarke and Holdsworth. The midfield four consisted of Brandon, Ahmed, Worthington and Mendes, who was placed in a slightly more attacking role wide on the right. Up front were ex-Owls Andy Booth, and top scorer with 22 goals this season Pawel Abbott. New signing Adams was left on the bench.

The first 6 minutes were uneventful, the two teams engaging in a midfield battle and cancelling eachother out. However, after the Town midfield had taken control of the ball, some excellent linkup between Ahmed and Brandon saw the ball roll perfectly into the run of Worthington on the edge of the D, who drilled home a low shot from 20 yards into the bottom right of Gallacher's goal.

The midfield battle was started up again, which produced some end to end play without any real chances being created. It was another 18 minutes until the next action, where Town had the ball in the back of the net for a second time. However, Booth's Maradona attempt did not go unnoticed by the linesman who flagged immediately to silence the Galpharm crowd who were on their feet cheering Andy Booth's "header". Booth was booked for his attempt.

It wasn't until after 33 minutes that the Owls fashioned a shot on goal, when, to the delight of the crowd, Alex Bruce blazed high and wide from outside the area. Bruce's day was only about to get worse. After 42 minutes Adnan Ahmed and Alex Bruce went in for a challenge on what looked a 50:50 ball, however, Bruce's lunge at Ahmed was mistimed and very dangerous and he was duly dismissed from the game by referee Mason.

Just before half time Abbott had a golden chance to double the lead, but after good work by Booth, Abbot skied over the bar. There was a claim for a penalty by Abbott who thought himself to be pulled down by the Wednesday defender, but the referee waved play on.

Half Time
Now was the time that Town should be able to press home their one man advantage. It's also worth pointing out that Sheffield Wednesday had been a dirty team all through the first half, the scoreboard showed a foul count of 13-3 just before Bruce was sent off.

The first chances of the second half fell to Town, the first to Booth on 47 minutes who's towering header was saved well down low, and then n 48 minutes when tricky midfielder Chris Brandon was played through after interchange between Abbott and Booth on the right. His powerful effort flew just wide of the right hand upright. Another chance fell to Booth 2 minutes later after he connected with an Ahmed freekick but headed over. Ahmed then had a chance for himself, but his shot resembled a conversion on a rugby pitch.

Wednesday's first shot on target was easily caught by Rachubka, but it was Town who continued to dominate with chances for Booth, the first of which resulted after a brilliant run by Worthington who crossed low to the feet of Booth. Unfortunately, it had the supporters in row ZZ of the Panasonic Stand ducking for cover.

Abbott was replaced by Schofield after 61 minutes, and for the Owls Talbot replaced Barrett after 68 minutes, with Wednesday hoping to press for an equaliser. However, it was the Terriers who came closest to grabbing the a second goal of the game, after an inswinging corner by Ahmed was headed at the front post by Schofield. His attempt seemed to loop over the keeper but was met with disappointment from the Town faithful as it clipped the bar. Town were picking up more bookings as the game drew on, Ahmed, Holdsworth and Clarke had all found their way into Mason's book.

After 78 minutes Wednesday had their best chance when Peacock raced away from the defence. Mirfin had the pace to get back and then flung himself in front of the ball with a great challenge just as the striker was pulling the trigger. He was on hand seconds later to win back the ball again for Town, and Brandon was able to use his pace to dribble the ball clear. The last two chances fell to Mendes and Ahmed, both failing to trouble Gallacher in goal.

A great win for Town over a strong opposition. Every player gave his all, noteably Ahmed, Mirfin and Edwards who all played well. There are two players who deserve the man of the match, Ahmed and Mirfin. Ahmed was the engine in midfield and never ducked out of a challenge. His set pieces become more and more dangerous with every match, and he is growing in confidence with the experience. Mirfin was a rock at the back, and really showed how much he has come on in the year and a half he has been playing in the first team. The Wednesday attack never got past him.

Final Score
Huddersfield Town 1 - 0 Sheffield Wednesday

Huddersfield Town
P Rachubka, A Holdsworth, T Clarke, D Mirfin, R Edwards, C Brandon, A Ahmed, J Worthington, J Mendes, A Booth, P Abbott (63 D Schofield)
Subs: P Senior, L Fowler, D Schofield, N Brown, D Adams

Sheffield Wednesday
P Gallacher, A Bruce, L Bullen, R Wood, Z Aranalde, G Whelan, C Rocastle (75 C Brunt) , S Adams, L Peacock, G Barrett (69 A Talbot) , J McGovern (58 P Collins)
Subs: A Talbot, P Collins, P Heckingbottom, M Hamshaw, C Brunt

Ref: L Mason
Att: 17292


There are currently no comments for this story. In order to post a comment, you need to be a registered Terrier Bytes member and logged in. Click here to login or here to register with Terrier Bytes.




10th Anniversary Edition - 2001 to 2011