Doncaster Rovers 1-2 Huddersfield Town

Huddersfield Town story posted by Sean Makin on 29/08/2005
Town went top of the league with a 2-1 win at the Belle Vue on Monday, Town?s first win there since 1989.Doncaster Rovers 1-2 Huddersfield Town
Chris Brandon and captain Jon Worthington put the Terriers 2-0 up in the first half, a half which Town were cruising. But just as Hartlepool on Saturday Town let the opposition pull one back, this time through a penalty to put a nail biting finish to the game in which Doncaster had a man sent off late in the second half.

Town stuck with the same team that beat Hartlepool at the Galpharm on two days ago and stuck with the same bench.
Doncaster had Ex-Sunderland and record signing Shaun Thornton in their side but left out there summer ?125,000 striker Paul Heffernan on the bench along with Leo Fortune-West who seems to good record scoring against Town.

Doncaster kicked off in there what is now known at the Earth Stadium but Town forced a corner within the 1st minute. The corner was headed out of the area and picked up by Chris Brandon, as he turned on the ball he riffled a shot from 20 yards which flew into the back of the net for his first goal of the season and to put Town 1-0 up inside the first two minutes.

Doncaster woke up a bit and put pressure on Town with Michael McIndoe being the driving force behind the attacks. Rachubka made a good low save from shot from the edge of the area but Doncaster wasted chances blasting them over the bar.

Town were very much in control of the game, passing it around well and at times ripping Doncaster apart. Hughes was booked after constantly fouling Chris Brandon in which it became a personal battle throughout the game.
The referee was giving Doncaster most of the free kicks, everytime a red shirt went down they?d get a free kick which meant putting pressure on Town as Donny searched for an equalizer but the Clarke brothers held firm.

Chris Brandon was tripped in the penalty area and all appeals were turned down by the referee in which saw Andy Holdsworth talk himself into the referee?s note book.

With half an hour played Town were dominating and playing some good football. Danny Schofield, a Doncaster lad himself, was causing the Donny defence all kinds of problems with his skills.
Jon Worthington stung the keepers hands with a 20 yard rasping shot and then after good work from Brandon and Abbott, Abbott?s shot was blocked by Warrington?s body.

Six minutes before half time Town made it 2-0 with a cracking goal from captain Jon Worthington.
Another corner was headed away from goal and Worthington smashed the ball on the volley from the edge of the area that keeper Warrington had no chance.
Town made sure Donny didn?t squeeze in a goal before half time and Tom Clarke headed a half chance from a corner over the bar.

In the second half Town were looking to take off from where they had left in the second half, Rachubka had a problem with his kicking. Brandon was booked for a late challenge on a Doncaster player.
Doncaster started to come back into the game and the match was evened out but with only 15 minutes of the second half played Doncaster pulled on back.

Lewis Guy was brought down by Rachubka, who was the last man, and the referee had no hesitation into pointing to the spot.
Rachubka got lucky and was only shown a yellow card, Michael McIndoe stepped up and sent Rachubka the wrong way to pull one back for Donny.

Town were pegged back as Donny searched for that equalizer. Rachubka made a fantastic save from a Donny free kick to push the ball out for a corner. But on 74 minutes Lewis Guy was sent off and raising his hands to Tom Clarke after a tackle in which the referee produced a straight red.

On 78 minutes the Town fans hearts were in their mouths as McIndoe raced through clear on goal by Rachubka made a fantastic low down save to take the ball away from McIndoe?s feet.
At the other end Taylor-Fletcher had a headed that hit the crossbar and despite Doncaster a man down they were still going for it.

Donny then threw on two strikers in Paul Heffernan and Leo Fortune-West came on but it was too late for them to make an impact and with a few minutes left Brandon was replaced with Carss.

Carrs then blasted a free kick over and in the 3 minutes of added time Abbott could have won the game trying to lob the keeper that was easily saved by Warrington. The final whistle was greeted with a massive roar from the travelling supporters.

A vital 3 points has now put us top of the table now but we can?t get carried away. A tough game on Friday against Scunthorpe as they are having a good start to the season from coming up from League Two.
Town played some fantastic football on Monday and we if play like that we will rip and defence apart in this division and will defiantly have no trouble being there or there abouts near the top of League One.

Sean?s Star Man- Danny Adams- Kept his cool under the Doncaster pressure, made some good passes and crosses and got stuck in when the tough got going.


Donny: Warrington, Mulligan, Foster, Fenton, Ryan, Coppinger(Predic 38), Hughes, Thornton (Heffernan 79), McIndoe, Roberts (Fortune-West 79), Guy.
Subs not used: Budtz, Ravenhill.

Town: Rachubka, Holdsworth, T Clarke, N Clarke, Adams, Brandon (Carrs 85), Collins, Worthington, Schofield, Abbott, Taylor-Fletcher.
Subs not used: Senior, McAliskey, Mendes, McCombe

Attendance- 7222
Referee: Mr Beeby

If you have any comments about this match report please e-mail me at


There are currently no comments for this story. In order to post a comment, you need to be a registered Terrier Bytes member and logged in. Click here to login or here to register with Terrier Bytes.




10th Anniversary Edition - 2001 to 2011