Huddersfield Town 2-2 AFC Bournemouth

Huddersfield Town story posted by Sean Makin on 01/10/2005
Huddersfield Town threw away a 2-goal lead against Bournemouth on Saturday to draw 2-2.Huddersfield Town 2-2 AFC Bournemouth
Town broke a 73-year record by scoring for 22 consecutive games but left Town fans going home broken hearted by squandering 2 points against the Cherries. Two goals to the good at the break but the Town defending of last season come back to haunt Town as the Cherries grabbed a draw.

Town sat in 3rd place in League One before the Bournemouth game and after the game they were still 3rd but are now 2 points behind Southend United and League One leaders Swansea City.
Town made one change to the side that beat Tranmere Rovers at the Galpharm just four days earlier, Andy Booth was rested to the bench for Gary Taylor-Fletcher. The same 4-4-2 formation with Tony Carrs still keeping his place in the centre of midfield.
John McAliskey wasn?t on the bench as he is on a month?s loan to lowly League Two side Torquay United.

Bournemouth have had a few injury problems this season, Ex-Town midfielder Marcus Browning was in the starting line-up for the Cherries, Bournemouth had sold two of their keys players during the summer Wade Elliot and Gareth O?Connor were sold to Burnley but James Hayter started who is always a threat to any side.

Town started off quite brightly, putting early pressure on the Cherries, Abbott who has not been on fire as late, wasted a shot as early at the third minute.
But it looked a matter of time before the Terriers scored and they did on 14 minutes. Worthington teed up Schofield after some good passing by Town and Schofield rifled in a cracking shot on the edge of the penalty area, curling the ball into the top corner for his 6th goal of the season.

Bournemouth looked to have no rhythm at all and were all over the place, good play down the flanks by Town resulted in another goal with only 21 minutes played. A Danny Adams cross found Pawel Abbott?s head, caused panic in the six yard box and Taylor-Fletcher picked up the pieces with a looping header over keeper Stewart and into the net and by this time Town were cruising.

But Bournemouth were starting to pick themselves up a little up and had a few chances and could have easily pulled one back before the break after some dodgy moments.
Steve Foley shot straight at Rachubka on a one-on-one situation and James Hayter got clear only the blaze the ball high over the bar but did well in driving a low cross that threatened dander until Nathan Clarke cleared.

Second half:

Town had chances to add to their goal tally but quite frankly just blew it.
Abbott landed a 48th minute header on the roof of the net after good work and cross from the right byline by Chris Brandon but as Tranmere, Town?s moves break down in the final third.

When chances were created they were woefully wasted. Danny Schofield, by far Town?s best player that day on the park, cut inside from the left after good work by Danny Adams, only to be denied by a splendid save by Bournemouth keeper Gareth Stewart.

Stewart went on to produce man of the match performance, which he said himself, was his best ever.
60 seconds after Schofield went close, Bournemouth were back in business. On 66 minutes, Tom Clarke dived in wrecklessly to haul down Andy Surman on the right hand side of the penalty area near the byline. James Hayter, who scored past Town at the Galpharm last season, put the penalty away via the post. The Town fans hoping Town could hang on

A great chance for Town to regain a two goal edge was wasted when Brandon broke free but went for glory when Abbott was unmarked to his left and Stewart pulled off an outstanding block.

It proved a costly miss for the Terriers, within seconds, Bournemouth were on the break and a long curling ball from the left just inside the their own half by Foley, found James Hayter, always a threat and with the Clarke brothers defending more like the Chuckle brothers, Hayter had time and space and buried the ball into the bottom corner to put the Cherries level. Man-marking defending more like to-me-to-you defending.

Schofield went off for Andy Booth and Worthington was replaced by Mark Hudson, The Town fans hoping they could snatch the win like against Brentford a fortnight earlier.
Abbott wasted another chance on 72 minutes only for Stewart to force the ball wide for a corner.

But Bournemouth could have gone home will all 3 points. On 83 minutes an Andy Surman cross from the right caught out everyone except for Bryan Stock at the far post but he headed wide when it seamed easier to score.

With minutes left on the clock, Brandon finally beat Stewart with a low shot only to the see the ball trickle centimetres wide.

Over 13,000 Town fans who were at the game on Saturday left the Galpharm Stadium disappointed as Town threw away a 2 goal lead and in the end could have lost it. We all hope that it doesn?t happen at Bradford City, a week on Monday live on Sky TV.

Sean?s Star Man: Danny Schofield- By far Town?s best player on the field.


Town: Rachubka, Holdsworth, T Clarke, N Clarke, Adams, Brandon, Worthington (Hudson 75), Schofield (Booth 73), Carrs, Taylor-Fletcher, Abbott (Mendes 84).
Subs not used: Senior, McCombe.

Bournemouth: Stewart, Young, Gowling, Hart, Keene (Rodrigues 66), Browning, Stock, O?Connor, Foley, Hayter, Surman (Cooper 88).
Subs not used: Cooke, Coutts, Pitman.

Referee: M Pike (Cumbria)

Attendance: 13,522


There are currently no comments for this story. In order to post a comment, you need to be a registered Terrier Bytes member and logged in. Click here to login or here to register with Terrier Bytes.




10th Anniversary Edition - 2001 to 2011