Huddersfield Town 0-0 Bradford City

Huddersfield Town story posted by Sean Makin on 19/11/2005
Derby day came to Town yesterday but both teams fired blanks in a midday kick off at the Galpharm Stadium.Huddersfield Town 0-0 Bradford City
A season best so far of 17,331 turned out in force to the Galpharm as Bradford broke Town?s remarkable run of scoring in 31 consecutive games since stopping them 2-0 back in early March, clinching a League One double last season over Town at Valley Parade.

Mark Hudson was suspended for Town after being sent off the previous week down at Yeovil with Tony Carss taking his place, Chris Brandon was on the bench after recovering from injury so Gary Taylor-Fletcher started in midfield, Adnan Ahmed was on the bench after been out since pre-season.
Bradford has Ben Muirhead suspended after he was sent off the previous week against Barnsley, Bobby Petta who scored against Town at Valley Parade was on the bench, Bridge-Wilkinson was back in the side after injury and Owen Morrison was playing, the man who scored the only goal for Bradford at the Galpharm last season.

It was never a classic but a thriller in that, it included touches of skill and was pack with hard graft and full blooded tackling.
Dean Windass was booked within the opening five minutes and Town at times were playing attractive stuff.

Before the match was held a minutes silence in respect of the tragic shooting of two women police officers in Bradford the previous day but the downside was some sets of supporters showed no respect.

Town fans might have been celebrating in the first minute as Taylor-Fletcher wormed his way free on the right to get in a loss cross that Donovan Ricketts, who was on trial at Town a few year ago, dived on the ball before Pawel Abbott could pounce.
Town has most of the play but seemed to try to walk the ball into the net rather than shoot as Bradford packed their defence.

On the quarter hour mark Town should have scored, a nice link on the left between Taylor-Fletcher, Danny Adams and Danny Schofield, Schofield jinked clear to cross from the by-line with David Mirfin guided his close-range header into the side netting which should have put Town ahead.

Taylor-Fletcher headed a opportunity over the bar, and Bradford?s only real threat was Danny Cadamarteri , who?s pace the Town defence at times couldn?t handle, and when he jinxed his way through a crowd of Town defence, keeper Paul Rachubka blocked at the feet of Cadamarteri.
Dean Windass was kept quiet by Nathan Clarke, but the pace of Owen Morrison and Cadamarteri at times caused the Town defence panic.

Both sets of defenders held firm at the half time whistle loomed and it was no surprise that the game was goalless.

Second half:

After the half time break, it seemed Town had nodded off. This led to some Bradford pressure and they nearly drew first blood.
A free-kick was put into the Town area and Mark Bower got his head to it, Rachubka was rooted to the spot but luckily for Town fans it smacked the stump of the post and out to safety.

It was becoming clear as the game went on that only one goal would win this game, Abbott was taken off on 66 minutes to be replaced by Chris Brandon. Abbott didn?t have the best of games, he was trying to hard at times but had looked to have picked up a knock in a challenge.
Taylor-Fletcher was pushed up front along side Booth and Brandon slotted in at his usual right midfield.

With Town still trying to walk the ball into the back of the net, On 75 minutes Nathan Clarke decided to have a crack, a lopping shot from the edge of the area landed on the roof of the goal.
Bobby Petta then came on for Morrison with 12 minutes left.

In the 80th minute Town nearly grabbed the winner. Schofield let fly and the ball was heading for the top corner when it hit Crooks to deflect for a corner. Three minutes later, with Town gunning for a winner, Booth won a cross but couldn't direct the ball goal wards. It wasn't to be and both sides seemed content with honours even as the referee blew the final whistle.


Town: Rachubka, Holdsworth, Mirfin, N Clarke, Adams, Taylor-Fletcher, Worthington, Carss, Schofield, Booth, Abbott (Brandon 66)
Subs not used: Senior, T Clarke, Ahmed, Collins.

Bradford: Ricketts, Stewart, Wetherall, Bower, Emanuel, Bridge-Wilkinson, Schumacher, Crooks, Morrison (Petta 79), Cadamarteri, Windass.
Subs not used: Howarth, Kearney, Claridge.

Referee: Lee Mason (Lancs)

If you would like to e-mail me feel free.


There are currently no comments for this story. In order to post a comment, you need to be a registered Terrier Bytes member and logged in. Click here to login or here to register with Terrier Bytes.




10th Anniversary Edition - 2001 to 2011