Worcester City 0-1 Huddersfield Town

Huddersfield Town story posted by Sean Makin on 04/12/2005
Town grabbed a 1-0 win live on BBC 1 against non-league Worcester City to get Premier League Champions Chelsea in the next round of the F.A Cup.Worcester City 0-1 Huddersfield Town
Chris Brandon grabbed the only goal of the game and it was enough to ensure Town a next round money-spinner.
The referee, Mr Williamson, was rather card happy at the festive time of the year and sent Danny Schofield off just before the break. But with everyone thinking that the upset was on the cards after Huddersfield went down to 10 men they were mistaken as Town were in control.

The vast majority of the 4,163 crowd that crammed into St. George?s Lane came hoping for a repeat of when the knocked Liverpool out of this competition some 40-odd years earlier. Worcester being ?750,000 in debt, will have being cursing that in the next round they could have being playing Chelsea away in the next round.

Worcester had some experience in their side, Andy Preece, the player-manager was on the bench a career that has spanned over several league clubs, Graham Hyde has played for Sheffield Wednesday and Birmingham respectively and Des Lyttle has been at a few league clubs, most notably in the side that saw Nottingham Forest finish 3rd in the Premiership back in the 1994/95 season.

An unchanged side for Town that beat Forest a week earlier, Pawel Abbott not being risked.
The home side pressed hard from the start and within 2 minutes created a chance that lead to Smith poking a weak effort straight at keeper Rachubka.
In the 5th minute, with Town starting to go through the motions, Danny Schofield was booked in a bit of a bizarre incident. Taking a free kick to early according to the referee, Danny was shown a yellow card. Amount of times I?ve seen players taking free kicks before the whistle and not being booked.
Danny will now miss tomorrows match with MK Dons.

From the resulting free kick Taylor-Fletcher didn?t trouble Worcester keeper McDonnell.
Webster was then booked for a high boot on Rachubka.

A scrappy affair in midfield, with Hyde leading the front for Worcester and should have been booked for a few challenges and eventually was
Worthington went clattering into a Worcester player and there was no option for the referee to show him the yellow card.

Danny Adams took a free kick that just dipped over the bar and then Danny Schofield tested the Worcester keeper.
The ball broke free to Schofield just inside the penalty area and lashed a shot that McDonnell tipped away to safety.
Just before the break, scrappy play by the corner flag involving Booth, Schofield and two Worcester players, Schofield came away with the ball, into the penalty area and went down in what it appeared to be a challenge by a Worcester defender. The referee blew his whistle and showed Schofield his second yellow for diving then the red came out. The first booking was harsh but I must admit he did dive.

Second half

Abbott came on for Taylor-Fletcher for the start of the second half and the ten men attacked with 3 in midfield and Brandon being the most influencual.

Town were now appearing to let Worcester chase the ball and tire them out. But on 51 minutes Worcester nearly grabbed a goal.
A long ball over the top chased by Kelly and Mirfin, With Rachubka coming out from the goal, a mix-up happened but luckily Clarke was on hand to make a last-gasp challenge to knock the ball away.

Then a something out of nothing for Worcester when Rachubka?s poor clearance landed at the feet of Worcester player, Rabs saved the first shot but the ball wasn?t cleared and Webster had a shot that Mirfin blocked on the line to the relief of the Town fans there and the many Town fans watching at home.

Eventually in the 62nd minute Town got the breakthrough that they needed. Brandon took the ball just outside the Worcester area and with just a touch, he teed himself up to crack a shot low into the corner of the net. It gave Town a bit of breathing space and despite a few half hearted attempts it looked as though Worcester were starting to tire.

As the game progressed it was a scrappy affair, Worcester brought on Andy Preece but they never really troubled Town apart from the mistakes that Town made for them. Abbott wasn?t his usual self but it looked as though Town didn?t miss the 11th man as they got the goal that took them through the next round that sees the Town travel to Stamford Bridge in the 3rd round in which before the millions were spent on Chelsea, a single goal from Kenny Irons knocked Chelsea out of the League Cup in the 1999/2000 season.


Worcester: McDonnell, Smith, Lyttle, Warner, Colley (Wedgebury 86), Hyde (Clegg 64), Hines, Warmer (Preece 75), Kelly, Webster,
Subs not used: McDonald, Hodnett.

Town: Rachubka, Holdsworth, Mirfin, Clarke, Adams, Schofield (Sent Off 43), Worthington, Hudson, Taylor-Fletcher (Abbott 45), Booth.
Subs not used: Senior, Carss, T Clarke, Collins


There are currently no comments for this story. In order to post a comment, you need to be a registered Terrier Bytes member and logged in. Click here to login or here to register with Terrier Bytes.




10th Anniversary Edition - 2001 to 2011