Hartlepool United 3-1 Huddersfield Town

Huddersfield Town story posted by Sean Makin on 10/03/2006
Town?s automatic promotion charge took a massive dint when Hartlepool stormed to a 3-1 win over the Terriers on a cold night in the North East.Hartlepool United 3-1 Huddersfield Town
David Graham equalised with his 6th goal in 8 games for Town after Adam Boyd, often a habit of scoring against Town, put Hartlepool in front. But in the second half Hartlepool looked the hungrier side and won 3-1 and if wasn?t for the lately impressive Senior, Town would have lost by more than 3 goals.

Town made changes from the last performance against Doncaster Rovers at the Galpharm nearly a week ago. Smith and Holdsworth both out of the side, Smith wasn?t even on the bench with some people questioning if Kevin Ball, the caretaker manager up at Sunderland, has recalled the left midfielder.
Danny Adams started his first game since the 2-1 defeat at Tranmere at the start of February, Mark Hudson started in midfield and Danny Schofield was back on the left midfield after recently signing a new two-year contract with Town. Gary Taylor-Fletcher was sat on the bench, Chris Brandon was back on the right midfield and Pawel Abbott was out of the squad with a back injury.

On a freezing cold night in the North-East the teams tested each other in the first few minutes, the pitch was in a good condition despite the heavy rain. David Graham fired wide from a corner on six minutes and it looked like Town were pretty comfortable until Hartlepool?s first real threat with only 10 minutes gone.
A quick free kick led the ball to the unmarked Adam Boyd who slotted the ball past Phil Senior to put the Monkey Hangers 1-0 up.

Hartlepool looked the hungrier of the two sides, Hartlepool trying to survive in League One and Town trying to get promotion from League One. The Town defence trying to hold out a pushing forward Hartlepool side.
On 17 minutes good work by Chris Brandon set up Graham who didn?t strike the ball cleanly in which allowed keeper Konstantopoulos to gather the ball easily.

Graham made up for that weak effort with getting Town back on level terms on 22 minutes, Brandon again the provider, teed up Graham who cut inside from the right and from the edge of the Hartlepool rifled a shot into the back of the net in which keeper Konstantopoulos had no chance of saving.
Town relished getting back in contention but Hartlepool gave the Terriers a fright.

Within five minutes of Town scoring Adam Boyd rattled the post and then it was Town?s turn to scare Hartlepool when Andy Booth smashed the ball against the cross bar 3 minutes later.
Just after the half hour mark Town won a free kick right on the edge of the Hartlepool box, David Graham stepped up and drove a low shot at goal which keeper Konstantopoulos saved.

Town kept the pressure up on the home side, Hudson had a shot blocked by a defender and then Graham broke free only to be denied by the big Greek Konstantopoulos.

With half time ten minutes away Town were putting together some good passing moves with Hartlepool looking threating when they broke to Town's end. Town were getting good possession but most of their chances were not too clear cut. In the 45th minute Clarke put in a good tackle just outside the area but was penalised by the referee. The free kick was collected easily by Senior. So the first half ended all square.

Second half:

Town made no changes at half time and it was Hartlepool who looked dangerous. They threatened in the 49th minute, Senior came to the rescue in the 51st minute blocking a close range shot from Boyd and then Hartlepool did take the lead on the 53rd minute, Maidens had time and space and looped a shot that Senior just couldn?t reach and that put the North East side 2-1 up.

On 56 minutes Senior kept Town in the game when he saved well from a Hartlepool free kick as Hartlepool kept the pressure on Town surging for that one goal to kill Town off.
Then at the other end after the hour mark, Graham broke free into the area and was brought down by the big Greek Konstantopoulos but the officials waved away any Town protests and no penalty was given.

Town were trying to get back into the game, Hartlepool made changes midway through the second half and then Peter Jackson sent on Jon McAliskey and Andy Holdsworth for Hudson and David Mirfin.

Hartlepool caught Town out but squandered the chance on 76 minutes. Town won a free kick with just 10 minutes left in which David Graham fired wide but the game was set and matched on the 81st minute when the substitute Porter wacked a smashing volley past Phil Senior to cap a disastrous night for the Terriers.

As disappointed fans started on their way out of the ground, the home side were still looking for more goals as their fans roared them on. Senior tipped over a shot from Humphreys as the keeper added to his good night. The home side were just rolling the ball around because the game was wrapped up. Town still had another four added minutes to suffer. But in that extra time Senior was still there saving even more shots.

A massive dint for Town?s automatic charge as some fans look towards the play-offs, not long left now but if Town want automatic promotion the next Saturday?s home match against struggling Rotherham United is a must win game.

Sean?s Star Man: Phil Senior

Hartlepool: Konstantopoulos, Williams D, Nelson, Clark, Humphreys, Maidens(Robson), Bullock, Turnbull, Llewellyn, Williams E(Porter), Boyd(Foley)
Subs not used: Provett, Tinkler

Town: Town: Senior, Mirfin(Holdsworth), Clarke N, McIntosh, Adams, Brandon, Worthington, Hudson(McAliskey), Schofield, Graham, Booth
Subs not used: Rachubka, Taylor-Fletcher, Collins

please e-mail me: sean.makin@terrier-bytes.com


There are currently no comments for this story. In order to post a comment, you need to be a registered Terrier Bytes member and logged in. Click here to login or here to register with Terrier Bytes.




10th Anniversary Edition - 2001 to 2011