Huddersfield Town 2 Bristol City 1

Huddersfield Town story posted by Jonny Helliwell on 12/08/2006
The mighty Terriers made it two wins in a week in a hard fought clash with one of the division's favourites, Bristol City.Huddersfield Town 2 Bristol City 1
Things didn't start well for Town, however, with Glennon being tested twice by the lively McAllister, with two long range strikes, the second drawing a great save from the former St. Johnston stopper, which he parried for a corner.
From the resulting corner, though, Town made a quick break down the left with Brandon, whose cross into the box caused panic in the Bristol defence with Beckett lurking, but the ball just wouldn't drop to anyone.
Town continued to attack, and a Beckett header from twelve yards was saved easily by Brazilian keeper, Basso.
Despite having most of the posession, Town just couldn't break down a resolute Bristol side.

Half Time: Huddersfield 0 Bristol City 0.

The second half kicked off, and within minutes the best move of the game, involving the superb Gary Taylor-Fletcher, who laid the ball into Abbott's path who had his powerful strike saved.
Moments later though, Bristol took the lead. Following some atrocious defending in the box, Jevons was left free to stroke the ball into the far corner for an undeserved lead.
Huddersfield continued to press forward, and a spectacular overhead kick by Abbott just landed on the roof of the net.
Bristol can count themselves unlucky not to double their lead shortly after, however. Jevons, left free to run at the Town defence struck a thunderbolt from 25 yards, which Glennon parried magnificently onto the bar.
Town continued to battle away, and were rewarded by a great curling effort from the edge of the box, by Beckett, whose strike nestled in the far right corner. From here Town dominated the game, and Bristol City's frustration showed when Town were awarded a free kick on the left, with sub Lee Johnson believing it should have been a throw. Johnson tried to grab the ball from Peter Jackson, who reacted angrily and grabbed Johnson's face which sparked a mass confrontation, leading to Jackson being sent to the stands, and facing further disciplinary action.
After the dust had settled, Town continued to attack, with a glorious chance falling to Taylor-Fletcher in the box, but the former Lincoln man smashed it over the bar.
Town's dominance finally paid off in the 90th minute, with a goal that will surely prove controversial. Abbott struck a low shot towards the far corner, and it seemed as if the ball had been cleared off the line. However the Referee ruled it had crossed the line and the fightback was complete.

Town have a tough trip to Brentford next, and will no doubt be full of confidence going into the game at Griffin Park.
However, away form has been a major stumbling block for Town over the past few seasons, which has no doubt cost us a Championship place.
Maybe that is about to change?

Attendance: 10,402

Man of the Match: Gary Taylor-Fletcher. Full of energy and always a willing runner. Unlucky not to score.

Ref Watch: Mr P. Taylor. Stuggled to control a physical game, but made a crucial decision to award Abbott's goal at the death. 6/10


There are currently no comments for this story. In order to post a comment, you need to be a registered Terrier Bytes member and logged in. Click here to login or here to register with Terrier Bytes.




10th Anniversary Edition - 2001 to 2011