Tranmere Rovers 2-2 Huddersfield Town

Huddersfield Town story posted by Sean Makin on 26/09/2006
Town starting in the face of defeat at half time some how pulled it back to 2-2 and in the end could have won it.Tranmere Rovers 2-2 Huddersfield Town
On the two visits I have been to Prenton Park(which I have to say is not a bad ground I?ve been to a lot worse!) Town both lost, one by a good Tranmere side that won 3-0 and should have gone up that season and last season when an ex-Town player scored a winner 6 minutes from time. But coming away with a draw from being 2-0 down let alone Tranmere I thought was a very good result for Town.

Peter Jackson stuck with the same side that got a shock 2-1 victory down at Swansea the previous Saturday, 4-5-1 formation with Tom Clarke in front of the back four and Andy Booth playing at the lone front man.
The only change was on the bench as McCombe was sat there instead of Nathan Clarke.
Tranmere have being doing quite well so far this season, Since Ronnie Moore was installed as manager in the summer, Moore has being wheeling and dealing in the transfers 5 of them were in the starting line up against Town, Chris Shuker who has been a thorn in Town?s side in his Barnsley days swapped South Yorkshire for the Wirral so too did ex-Rotherham players Paul McLaren and John Mullin.
Also in the team was Chris Greenacre, the Wakefield born striker smacked a hat trick past Town for Mansfield in 2002 and has been a troublesome opponent for the Terriers.

In the opening few minutes Town forced two corners in quick succession but to no avail but the home side showed what they were about with some good passing moves that created chances for Shuker and Goodison and eventually Tranmere took the lead after only ten minutes played.

Shuker clipped in a good cross and with Town defenders stood like statues the ex-Newcastle Calvin Zola headed the ball past Glennon to put the home side in front.

The quarter of an hour mark passed by and Town weren?t looking in control with Town fans behind the goal worrying when the next Tranmere goal was going to come.
Tranmere were looking a team full of pace and sharpness but it was thanks to keeper Matt Glennon that Town did not concede. As he blocked a close ranger header.

Tranmere seemed to hit Town on the break, easily breaking down Town?s attacking flows.
Danny Schofield came off on the 29th minute, looked as thought he had picked up a knock and was replaced by Matt Young who immediately slotted in on the left side of midfield.
Andy Booth then knocked a header over the bar that could have got Town back into the game ad Tranmere left Town players dizzy with their pace.

And with 36 minutes played Town paid the price for some sloppy football as Chris Greenarce put Tranmere in what seemed to be a comfortable 2-0 lead.

Chris Shuker, again causing Town problems with his pace was able to get in a cross that Greenarce was allowed to hit in on the turn.
Then on the half time mark Greenarce had the ball in the net again only to be ruled out for offside and which in hindsight cost them dear.
As the referee blew for half time the Town fans called for Jackson to make changes.

In the second half Jackson brought off Tom Clarke to throw on Pawel Abbott to try salvage something from the game and reverted back to the 4-4-2 formation meaning Abbott and Booth were partnered up front.

Tranmere then threw on Sherriff to replace McGready and the home side looked to have carried on from where they had left off when Shuker rattled the Town upright on the 53rd minute but two minutes later Town were back in business.

Town won a corner down the other end of the field and when the cross came in Tranmere keeper Gavin Ward fumbled the ball right onto Booth?s big right toe to stab the ball into the back of the net to keep Town?s hope alive.

As the hour mark went by Tranmere looked rattled and looked to have bottled it as Town began to take control, Matt Young linking well with Danny Adams, fired a shot into the side netting, still looking for his first goal for the Terriers but Glennon was called into action on the 65th minute to keep the score still 2-1.

Shuker then broke free and raced away from the Town defence only to see his shot saved by Glennon?s legs as a golden opportunity for the home side was wasted.
Booth was then taken off to be replaced by Luke Beckett and he soon made an immediate impact on the game.

In the 76th minute Beckett had the ball in the right hand corner of the box and squared it nicely to Gary Taylor-Fletcher who put the ball away to the delight of the travelling fans from West Yorkshire, that was Taylor-Fletcher?s 7th goal of the season and levelled the game up at 2-2.

The goal seemed to lift Town, Beckett was unlucky with 10 minutes to go as his low shot was blocked by the legs of keeper Gavin, Mirfin then gave away a free kick the Shuker took that had Town hearts in mouths as the game drew to a close there was still chance of either side nicking all three points but the referee has seen enough and blew for full time.

Great character and spirit shown by Town to come back from 2-0 down. If we played like we did in the second half throughout the 90 minutes maybe we could have won but consistency has been Town?s glaring fault for the last few years.
Morale should be lifted now after a troublesome few weeks in which say protests outside the Galpharm and hopefully get a win against Bournemouth on Saturday in which an old foe of James Hayter will be kept at bay.
Keep the faith!

Sean?s Star Man- Matt Young- Linked up well with Danny Adams down the left, showed pace and hunger that should stamp his authority on the team.

Tranmere: Ward, Stockdale, McCready (Sherriff 60), Goodison, Tremarco, Shuker, McLaren, Mullin (Jennings), Ellison, Zola, Greenacre.
Subs not used: Achterberg, Davies, Jones.

Town: Glennon, Holdsworth, Mirfin, McIntosh, Adams, T Clarke (Abbott 45), Schofield (Young 29), Hudson, Collins, Taylor-Fletcher, Booth (Beckett 72).
Subs not used: Rachubka, McCombe.

Attendance: 6,702
Referee: Mr A. Hall


There are currently no comments for this story. In order to post a comment, you need to be a registered Terrier Bytes member and logged in. Click here to login or here to register with Terrier Bytes.




10th Anniversary Edition - 2001 to 2011