Huddersfield Town 1-1 Scunthorpe United

Huddersfield Town story posted by Sean Makin on 04/11/2006
Town battled for a draw as they came back from behind to rescue a point. Peter Jackson returned to the 4-1-4-1 formation but Matt Sparrow, who has scored against the Terriers in the past put the Irons in front. It took a trademark Andy Booth header to share the points.Huddersfield Town 1-1 Scunthorpe United

A new number of changes were made to the team after a disastrous 3-0 defeat by Brighton a week earlier at the Galpharm, Nathan Clarke, Andy Holdsworth and top scorer Gary Taylor-Fletcher were all back in the starting line up. Mark Hudson and Andy Booth were in the 4-1-4-1 formation with youngster Joe Skarz making his debut for the suspended Danny Adams. Luke Beckett and Pawel Abbott were sat on the bench.

Town had the first chance after a couple of minutes as the ball was worked around in the Scunthorpe area. It fell to Schofield but with his back to goal he turned to shoot, but the ball went wide of the target. The next chance fell to Town again in the 6th minute with Hudson hitting a shot that was easily collected by Murphy.

Both side were being easily broke down going forward, with Scunthorpe constantly trying to hit Town on the break. The young Joe Skarz was kept busy by the quick and skilful Iron Cleveland Taylor.
Taylor wiggled past Skarz with 20 minutes played only to see Nathan Clarke throw himself in front of the shot.

Andy D?Urso the former Premiership referee then gave a bizarre decision when advantage should have been played even though Hudson was brought down as Andy Booth had a one-on-one with the keeper the referee blew for a free kick on the edge of the box, confusing and irritating the Town fans.

Billy Sharp had a good chance to put Scunthorpe one up with 25 minutes gone. Taylor broke free from Skarz and clipped in a delightful cross which found the lively Sharp who planted a header straight onto the Town cross bar. Sharp is League One?s leading goal scorer with 12 goals. As the ball bounced back off the bar Sparrow fired over it to the relief of the Town players.

With 1 man up front it didn?t seem to be working, Booth is not the quickest and most of the time was helping back with defensive duties.
Collins had to go off to get a cut above his eye stitched and Town had to hold on as they played with ten men until Collins returned sporting a bandage around his head eight minutes later. There was a spate of bookings as three players saw yellow as the half drew to a close. So far the system had just about worked as Town went in with a clean sheet despite a few scares.
Not much action in the first half.

No changes for the second half as the night was closing in. A Town corner found Clarke who planted a header straight at Murphy.
Then with ten minutes of the second half gone when a cross found the head of Booth, a cross that should have been bread and butter for the Town favourite, he planted the header wide of the post. Agonizing

But five minutes later Scunthorpe ran up the other end and scored through Matt Sparrow, Another Taylor cross found Ex-Leeds United trainee Andy Keogh who headed back across goal from the back post and with the Town defence ball watching Sparrow smashed the ball past Glennon to put the Glanford Park side into a 1-0 lead.

It took Jackson another ten minutes to make a change to salvage something from this game, Collins was subbed off for striker Luke Beckett as Town reverted back to the 4-4-2 formation.
Almost immediately brought a goal when Hudson was sent clear only for the Murphy rushing out to somehow manage to stop the ball with his foot.

As Town pushed for the equalizer, Scunthorpe threatened to score on the break. With only four minutes left, a good passing movement down the right lead to a Taylor-Fletcher cross in which Booth rose high and headed the ball into the back of the net for the equalizer to the delight of the 10,000 Town crowd which roared Town on for the goal.

Town couldn?t find a winner but I think most Town fans would have settled for a point after that performance against Brighton a week earlier.

Sean?s Star Man- Jon Worthington

Town: Glennon, Holdsworth, Clarke, McIntosh, Skarz, Schofield, Worthington (Young 90), Collins (Beckett 66), Hudson, Taylor-Fletcher, Booth.
Subs not used: Rachubka, McCombe, Abbott.

Scunthorpe: Murphy, Williams, Crosby, Foster, Hinds, Morris, Sparrow, Baraclough, Taylor, Sharp, Keogh.
Subs not used: Lills, Byrne, Goodwin, McBreen, Mulligan.

Attendance: 10,456
Referee: Andy D?Urso


There are currently no comments for this story. In order to post a comment, you need to be a registered Terrier Bytes member and logged in. Click here to login or here to register with Terrier Bytes.




10th Anniversary Edition - 2001 to 2011