Huddersfield Town 2-0 Cheltenham Town

Huddersfield Town story posted by Sean Makin on 13/01/2007
Two first half goals from strikers Luke Beckett and Andy Booth saw off Cheltenham is a vital win at the Galpharm Stadium on a windy Saturday afternoon.Huddersfield Town 2-0 Cheltenham Town
Beckett has not figured regularly in manager Peter Jackson?s plans but an impressive performance for the reserves in midweek promoted Jackson to pair him with Booth to spearhead Town?s attack against Cheltenham.

Jackson brought in Beckett and Joe Skarz was at left back in favour for transfer listed Danny Adams, McIntosh was back in the team so to was captain Jon Worthington who partnered Matt Young in the centre of midfield.

Martin McIntosh has been told he can find another club along with Danny Adams, who boycotted yesterdays game, While McIntosh played along side David Mirfin and their central defensive partnership was a key to Town?s success, McIntosh particularly giving a good performance despite having stitches put in a head wound.
This was a game Jackson had impressed upon his men as one that was vital, providing the chance to widen the gap between Town and second bottom Cheltenham.

Town could have been on the victory path in double quick time as the lively Gary Taylor-Fletcher and Booth threatened while Robins keeper Shane Higgs pulled off an outstanding save to deny Taylor-Fletcher at the end of a grand run by the wide man.

But Cheltenham themselves might have stolen a head when Steve Gillespie broke clear but Matt Glennon saved in style then kept out the follow up by David Bird.
Cheltenham cracked on 31 minutes when Taylor-Fletcher?s throw-in was back headed by McIntosh at the near post and Beckett demonstrated his predatory skills from close range to fire Town into the lead.

Jackson?s ?85,000 summer signing scored his seventh goal in 15 games this season but this was his first start in 9 games.
The hard working Booth doesn?t score many with his feet as he used to but his 43rd minute strike provided Town with a great cushion was a gem.

When Robins defender Mike Townsend was pressurised by Matt Young when challenging for a high ball he could only head out as far as Booth, stationed just inside the box.
The veteran front man spun in style to lash a cracking volley wide of Robins keeper Higgs.

It was just reward for the Terriers who with the strong wind at their backs, dominated affairs, though it was disappointing that they didn?t have a bigger lead by the break.

It became a tougher call in the second half, though Cheltenham were unable to take advantage of the conditions, even though enjoying much more possession. Booth at times had to drop back and help out his defence while skipper Jon Worthington, back from a two match injury absence, also defended stoutly while Mirfin pulled off the tackle of the game in robbing Gillespie when he looked certain to score.

Town however, might have added to their lead for Taylor-Fletcher put in a dazzling run that left two defenders in a daze but when he played the ball for Booth, the striker got in a tangle.

Chris Brandon, who earned a hug from his manager when he came off on 90 minutes following an outstanding second half display, was unfortunate to see a cracking drive bounce to safety off the woodwork.

Sean?s Star Man: Gary Taylor-Fletcher


Town: Glennon, Holdsworth, Mirfin, McIntosh, Scarz, Taylor-Fletcher, Worthington (Hardy 74). Young, Brandon (Schofield 90), Booth, Beckett.
Subs not used: Rachubka, McCombe, McAliskey.

Cheltenham: Higgs, Caines, Duff, Townsend, Low (Melligan 58), Bird, Finnigan, Armstrong, Brown, Odejayi, Gillespie (Reed 76).

Referee: M Thorpe (Norfolk)

Attendance: 9,813


There are currently no comments for this story. In order to post a comment, you need to be a registered Terrier Bytes member and logged in. Click here to login or here to register with Terrier Bytes.




10th Anniversary Edition - 2001 to 2011