Huddersfield Town 1-1 Stockport County

Huddersfield Town story posted by Sean Makin on 10/08/2008
Town kicked off their Centenary campaign with a disapointing 1-1 draw with newly-promoted Stockport County.Huddersfield Town 1-1 Stockport County
Andy Booth had put Town into the lead with a trademark header from the Town favourite but County equalized right on half time.

The expentation level with a 15,000 crowd were high but Town failed to deliver, It was thanks to Town stopper Matt Glennon who denied Stockport all three points. Town boss Stan Ternent was less than impressed with his team that started with six of his new signings in the starting line-up.

New signing David Unsworth was straight into the starting line-up at left back after impressing in friendlies against Sheffield United and Arsenal, New captain Lucketti and Andy Butler, making his debut, started at centre back.
Gary Roberts made his debut on the right wing for Town and largely impressed, Goodwin partnered Collins in midfield and Michael Flynn started on the left. Danny Cadermarteri started up front with Andy Booth.

County were the first to threaten, Pilkington's angled shot was spilled by Glennon but new County striker Peter Thompson lofted the ball over the bar.
Williams then came to the rescue for Stockport when Michael Collins made a breakthrough midfield, and had a deflected shot that Williams had to stretch to tip over the bar.

Gary Roberts was always lively on the right wing, troubling the Stockport defence and their keeper with a couple of attempts on goal.
It seemed as though the players didn't settle into the system Ternent was playing, Cadamarteri often drifted out wide and will be disapointed with his performance, the from distance but lacked accuracy and Michael Flynn had a debut to forget and was substituted in the second half.

It was a typical Andy Booth header to give Town the opener, Gary Roberts's corner found the head of the Town legend to put Town in the lead. Boothy has been doing that all his career.

Ternent has made it public that he is looking for another striker with ariel ability as a long-term replacement for Booth.

It looked as though Town would go on and kill the game off but Stockport levelled in injury time of the first half, Town lost possession in midfield and when defender Jon Millins slid in a low cross, Tommy Rowe neatly sidefooted into the corner of the net despite a packed Town penalty area.

Another Roberts corner almost led to Town second soon after the break but keeper Williams blocked at his near post, Stockport made a few changes and it was them that looked the better team in the second half.
Gleeson and substitute Carl Baker both going close, Andy Booth has a low header saved and was then replaced by Luke Beckett.

Stockport looked to have snatched it at the end when Baker has a superb curling shot saved by the stretching Glennon who neatly palmed the ball away from goal.

Still early days and the Town team needs to gel with the new signings, I won't be suprised if a few players come and go in the next few weeks.

Sean's Star Man – Gary Robetrs, the £250,000 signing from Ipswich made an excellent debut, jinxing runs, taking on defenders and has that match winner abilty. He was a handful for Stockport and if he keeps that up he'll be a handful against any defence in this league.

My prediction this season for Town is to finish 4th, It could be a long hard season but I think we'll make the play-offs.


Town – Glennon, Holdsworth, Lucketti, Butler, Unsworth, Roberts, Goodwin, Collins, Flynn (Worthington 60), Booth (Beckett 75), Cadamartri.

Stockport – Williams, Mullins, Owen, McNulty, Rose (McNeil 46), Pilkington (Baker 46), Dicker, Raynes, Gleeson, Rowe, Thompson.
Referee: A Haines (Tyne & Wear)
Attendance: 15,578


There are currently no comments for this story. In order to post a comment, you need to be a registered Terrier Bytes member and logged in. Click here to login or here to register with Terrier Bytes.




10th Anniversary Edition - 2001 to 2011