Town Humilated By The Posh

Huddersfield Town story posted by Sean Makin on 26/10/2008
A Town side that lost 5-3 to Hartlepool United in midweek was run ragged and humiliated by Peterborough United on a wet Saturday afternoon at London Road.Town Humilated By The Posh
The wrong end of a four-goal massacre making it nine goals conceded in their last two games. It left the travelling Town faithful voicing their anger at the end and Town skipper, Chris Lucketti, facing a ban after being sent off in added time.

Under pressure from the off, Town simply couldn't cope with it, Boss Stan Ternent rotated his line-up (yet again!) and brought back Chris Lucketti for his 600th appearance and giving Andy Holdsworth the wide right midfield role.
But it was Peterborough who were in command, giving Lucketti and his fellow defenders a difficult time.

Posh attacked hard and often, with pace and determination that they deserved their 12th minute lead thanks to Aaron McLean.
The pacey striker smashed a 10-yard drive high into the net from a George Boyd cross after Town failed to follow up a good clearing header by Jim Goodwin.

Nathan Clarke, Andy Holdsworth and Gary Roberts lost out on reasonable close-in chances, but Town raids were too few compared to those of the Posh.

It was no surprise when the hosts broke quickly with Paul Coutts sending Boyd away that exposed Town's right defensive flank very badly.
Boyd has all the time in the world with the ball with no a single Town player closing him down, Boyd just simply cut inside and blasted a shot through the legs of Matt Glennon.

Town were awful, some compare it to the time a certain Mick Wadsworth was in charge.

Town were fortunate not to be more in arrears at the break but they soon fell further behind on 55 minutes as Boyd, who terrorised the Town defence all afternoon, crossed from the left to punish more statue style defending and Whelpdale roared in at the back post to plant the header into the net to make it 3-0.

Ternent threw Phil Jevons on to join Liam Dickinson in a two-pronged striker role with Jon Worthington being sacrificed. But Town's troubles weren't over with McLean notching his second of the game on 63 minutes, latching on to a Coutts pass and drilling a shot that took a slight deflection off Lucketti and flew between Glennon's legs.

Roberts twice put in good runs on the left and delivered inviting crosses but no Town player cashed in on them.

Dickinson then managed a header from a Holdsworth cross, one of a few efforts on target but goalkeeper Joe Lewis safely held onto it.

As the game went into stoppage time, Mackail-Smith, who has been linked with big money moves to Premiership clubs, broke clear but was brought down behind by Lucketti who received a straight red by Mr Penn.

From the resulting free kick, Russell Martin brought a great save out of Matt Glennon.

Sean's Star Man - Paul Ogden, for his radio commentary.

Please e-mail me and tell me what you thought of Stan Ternent's reaction to this defeat, I found it a bit bizarre.


Posh: Lewis, Martin, Morgan, Zakuani, T Williams, Whelpdale, Lee, Coutts (Hyde 66), Boyd (Torres 66), McLean (Batt 64), Mackail-Smith.

Town: Glennon, Goodwin, Clarke, Lucketti, R Williams, Holdsworth, Craney, Worthington (Jevons 60), Flynn, Roberts, Dickinson.

Referee: Mr A Penn (West Midlands)

Attendance: 7,064


There are currently no comments for this story. In order to post a comment, you need to be a registered Terrier Bytes member and logged in. Click here to login or here to register with Terrier Bytes.




10th Anniversary Edition - 2001 to 2011