Parker Snatches The Win For The Terriers

Huddersfield Town story posted by Sean Makin on 01/11/2008
Keigan Parker grabbed a dramatic winner to ease the pressure off Town boss Stan Ternent, After going 2-0 up Crewe managed to fight back with two goals from ex-York City striker Clayton Donaldson, both looked a touch of offside, but this made the atmosphere hostile as certain sections of the Galpharm stadium booed and called for Ternent's head before Parker stole the show.Parker Snatches The Win For The Terriers

Parker then got sent off for a second yellow card for alleged handball, ironically it was the third time he had been sent off by the Lincoln referee Darren Drysdale.

Club captain Chris Lucketti was back from suspension but was left on the bench in favour of the Clarke-Butler partnership, Andy Holdsworth actually started at right back in favour of Jim Goodwin and Keigan Parker kept his place in the side.
No place on the bench for Luke Beckett who scored a hat-trick in the reserves in midweek.

The first half wasn't a very entertaining game of football, actually most of the match wasn't attractive football. Crewe were awful in the first half, they appeared to have no shape and their defence often went missing. It was all Town in the first 20 minutes and it paid off albeit with a scrappy goal, A Gary Roberts cross was flicked on by Liam Dickinson for Andy Butler to get in a header that was blocked on the line, then his follow up shot was blocked but bounced off the Crewe 'keeper Collis and over the line.

On 39 minutes Town went 2-0 up thanks to midfielder Ian Craney with an excellent goal, a weak header by Billy Jones fell at feet of Craney who adjusted himself and curled a shot beautifully into the top corner.

After going two down it seemed to spark Crewe into life, Jones had a free-kick turned over by Matt Glennon then Bryon Moore should have done better with a great chance but his touch was too heavy.
Donaldson and Moore both had bags of pace that stretched the Town defence at times and it was Donaldson who pulled one back in the 41st minute.

Midfielder James Bailey played a ball over the top for Donaldson to win a challenge with Town stopper Glennon and run in the loose ball as angry Town fans protested he was offside.

After the break it was Crewe who looked more dangerous as Town went to sleep and Donaldson took full advantage.
The big striker equalized for the Alex, though again there was a suspicion of offside, was sent clear by Moore and Donaldson calmly stroked the ball under Glennon.
The atmosphere was hostile and their appeared to be something thrown from the crowd at the linesman.
Donaldson was a constant threat to Town, he wriggled free again from Nathan Clarke to set himself up in a good position but fired hire.

Ternent and the 11,000 Town fans breathed a sigh of relief as Roberts set up Parker in space at the back post area on the right, With two minutes to go Parker bent a great left footed shot past Collis into the top corner for his first goal since signing from Blackpool in the summer.

As the ball hit the back of the net for the Terriers out came the "Holland Out" banner from the travelling Crewe supporters.

Town made hard work of it, Crewe were there for the taking in the first half. The defence is still shocking how we miss Rob Page.
Keigan Parker will be suspended for the Cup tie against Port Vale next Saturday, as too will Jon Worthington. Liam Dickinson hasn't been given permission by Derby County to play and it looks the same with Steve Jones from Burnley respectively. Is Ternent going to give some fringe players a chance? Perhaps Michael Collins, James Berrett and Luke Beckett might get a chance to prove their worth to the team because as I see it some players that Stan has brought in aren't better than what we already had.

Sean's Star Man - Keigan Parker - Worked hard all game, his pace troubled the Crewe defence and his first goal in Town colours was well deserved.


Town: Glennon, Holdsworth, Clarke, Butler, Williams, Flynn (S Jones 63), Craney, Worthington (Goodwin 77), Roberts, Parker, Dickinson (Jevons 71).
Subs not used: Skarz, Lucketti.

Crewe: Collis, Brayford, O'Donnell, Baudet, B Jones, Miller, Bailey (Zola 90), Schumacher, Grant, Donaldson (Pope 89), Moore.
Subs not used: Abbey, Woodards, Carrington

Referee: D Drysdale (Lincolnshire)
Attendance: 11,679


There are currently no comments for this story. In order to post a comment, you need to be a registered Terrier Bytes member and logged in. Click here to login or here to register with Terrier Bytes.




10th Anniversary Edition - 2001 to 2011