Match Report: Huddersfield Town vs Swindon Town

Huddersfield Town story posted by Sean Makin on 18/01/2009
Town moved up to eighth in League One after a 2-1 victory over woeful Swindon Town, who were reduced to 10 men half way through the second half.Match Report: Huddersfield Town vs Swindon Town
Even though Swindon did give Town a few scared, goals from midfielder Michael Collins and defender Andy Butler were enough to see off the Robins. Simon Cox scored a cracking consolation for the visitors.

An un-changed line-up from the 1-1 draw at Sixfields last week, Town dominated the game virtually from start to finish, it was only when Robins defender Dan Kayuka was sent off in the 65th minute for a professional foul that Swindon started to threaten.
It was astonishing that Swindon were still level at the break after Town pressed start from the off with Swindon making just two serious forays into Town's penalty box.

Chances came and went for Lee Clark's men, winger Gary Roberts in particular running the Robins ragged with jinxing runs giving the Swindon right-back Jack Smith a torrid time.
It was as if Town wanted to pass the ball into the back of the net, no one willing to have a pop at goal. Phil Jevons set up Keigan Parker through on goal but Parker fired wide, Jevons himself firing a curling shot straight at Robins keeper Peter Brezovan.

Robbie Williams had a glorious chance for Town with only 10 minutes gone glancing a header wide from a Roberts corner.
It is evident that Town are crying out for a new striker, Town have the midfield that can create the chances but need someone who can fire them in.

Early in the second half Parker headed the ball straight at Brezovan from a Jevons cross but Parker made up for it setting up Michael Collins to break the deadlock.
On 51 minutes Collins making his trademark runs from deep, linked with Parker, took the return and clipped a shot off the post that had Brezovan routed to the spot, who otherwise proved outstanding for the Robins.

Likewise Brezovan had no chance when Butler make it 2-0 on the hour mark, Swindon failed to clear a Town corner and as the ball was clipped back in from the left Butler rose with a towering header that left Brezovan with no chance.

With Town fans able to station behind the goal in the South Stand, it generated a fantastic atmosphere, an atmosphere I haven't seen like that for years at the Galpharm. The Mexican Wave went round the ground a few times to the delight of the Town fans.
Chants of "there is only one Dean Hoyle" rang out for the South Stand, the Chairman-elect has caught the imagination of the Town fans, being a passionate Town fan himself (apparently he threw his season ticket book back at the ticket office when we sold Marcus Stewart) Hoyle has created a buzz around the Galpharm in pumping money into the club to get rid of Ternent and Co to replace them with Lee Clark and such highly experienced coaches in Terry McDermott and Derek Fazackerley, who are getting Town to play good, attractive football and it was clear in the atmosphere yesterday.

Swindon were then reduced to 10 men, Jim Goodwin was through on goal, Robins defender Kanyuka was pulling back the hard working midfielder giving referee Mr Gibbs no choice but to show Kanyuka his marching orders.
It was when the Robins were reduced to 10 men that they started to pick up.

Sub Blair Sturrock hit the post with nine minutes left, former Town loanee Jerel Ifil had a header from a corner that was blocked on the line by his own teammate Simon Cox on the line.
Cox's response was to fire home from 18 yards in the dying seconds for his 14th goal of the season.

Sean's Star Man - Gary Roberts Just had to be Roberts, he was simply superb yesterday, worked hard all game, gave the Swindon defence a torrid time. Could defiantly play at a higher level. Firmly on the way to becoming a fan favourite (if not already!)


Town: Smithies, Holdsworth, N Clarke, Butler, Williams, Cadamarteri, Collins, Goodwin, Roberts, Parker (Craney 82), Jevons (Flynn 90).

Swindon: Brezovan, Smith, Ifil, Kanyuka, Amankwaah, McGovern (McNamee 64), Pook (Easton 73), Peacock, Timlin, Paynter (Sturrock 68), Cox.

Referee: P Gibbs (West Midlands)

Attendance: 13,414


There are currently no comments for this story. In order to post a comment, you need to be a registered Terrier Bytes member and logged in. Click here to login or here to register with Terrier Bytes.




10th Anniversary Edition - 2001 to 2011