Report: MK Dons 1-1 Huddersfield Town

Huddersfield Town story posted by Sean Makin on 11/03/2009
Town snatched a draw from stadium:mk last night but could have taken all three points back to West Yorkshire in the dying minutes.Report: MK Dons 1-1 Huddersfield Town
After MK Dons had gone ahead on the hour mark through striker Sam Baldock, Town fought back and a deflected header from Andy Butler got the Terriers back on level terms with 10 minutes left.
Substitute Michael Flynn had a shot which his both posts in the dying minutes with the Town fans and players protesting it had gone over the line but referee Steve Cook waved play on.

Andy Booth was back in the starting line up for the first time since November in place of Lukas Jutkiewicz who was dropped to the bench. A rare start for Tom Clarke in a 4-1-4-1 formation. Lionel Ainsworth wasn't in the starting 16 due to personal reasons (which have since been explained in the Huddersfield Daily Examiner). James Berrett won a place back on the bench as too did midfielder Michael Flynn who has featured in the starting 16 since Lee Clark took over as Town boss.

The first half Town held the League's highest goalscorers at bay, Playing some neat and tidy football with Booth holding up the ball well but once again lacking that killer punch.

Jason Puncheon used an outrageous piece of skills to beat his man then making a menacing run towards the Town box letting fly a shot that smacked the Town post.
Town did create some pressure in the late stages of the first half that almost resulting in a mistake in the Dons defence but the first half ended goalless.

The Dons upped the tempo in the second half, the Dons now having drawn their last 3 home games before they played Town.
Puncheon skipped past Robbie Williams on the left but dragged his shot wide of the post, then on the 60 minute mark the Dons took the lead.

Jude Sterling played a through ball which was dummied by Aaron Wilbraham, on-loan Luke Chadwick raced onto the ball one-on-one with Alex Smithies but coolly squaring for Sam Baldock for a simple tap-in.

It forced Town to up their game, Lee Clark threw on Flynn for Ian Craney to try and get something out of the game.

Anthony Pilkington blazed a volley over the bar, then a Pilkington corner found the head of Booth only to see the header go wide but another Pilkington came to success.
The 20-year old whipped in a corner, finding the head of Butler and with an aid for a deflection found the net to put Town level.

Don's Ali Gerba found himself one-on-one with Smithies but the England U-19 international saved well at his feet. Then with a minute to go Wilbraham headed over.

It was so close for 3 points for Town when a Cummins mistake lead to a Town break, Flynn had a crack at goal only to see the ball hit both posts that left everyone baffled.

Sean's Star Man - Andy Booth Held up the ball well and brought the midfield into play giving the Dons defence problems in the process.


MK Dons: Gueret, Cummings, O'Hanlon, Llera, Stirling, Chadwick (Johnson 81), Navarro, Leven, Puncheon, Baldock (Gerba 71), Wilbraham.
Subs not used: Abbey, Regan, Belson.

Town: Smithies, Holdsworth, Lucketti, Butler, Williams, T Clarke, Collins, Pilkington, Roberts, Booth (Jutkiewicz 87), Craney (Flynn 68).
Subs not used: Eastwood, Jevons, Berrett.

Referee: Steve Cook (Surrey)
Attendance: 9,707


There are currently no comments for this story. In order to post a comment, you need to be a registered Terrier Bytes member and logged in. Click here to login or here to register with Terrier Bytes.




10th Anniversary Edition - 2001 to 2011