Report: Huddersfield Town 2-1 Yeovil Town

Huddersfield Town story posted by Sean Makin on 30/08/2009
Town got back to winning ways with a hard fort victory over Yeovil Town. After Yeovil took the lead through a wonder goal, Town keeper Alex Smithies saved a penalty to keep Town in it, that proved the turning point as goals from Theo Robinson and Michael Collins made sure that Town took all three points.Report: Huddersfield Town 2-1 Yeovil Town

Lee Peltier was fit to face his former club after been ruled 50-50 during the week after suffering a cheek injury in the game against Newcastle. Danny Drinkwater was not in the starting 18 through a thigh injury. Tom Clarke is going to be out for more than three months after been ruled out through knee surgery which resulted in Michael Collins, making his first start since the opening day, partnering Antony Kay in the Town midfield. Lionel Ainsworth started in place of the suspended Gary Roberts. The Town starting 11 was, in goal, Smithies, back four of Peltier, Peter Clarke, Butler and Skarz, the four man midfield of Ainsworth, Kay, Collins, Pilkington with Rhodes and Robinson leading the attack.

With Town beginning to find to their feet a little, with just six minutes on the clock Yeovil took the lead. Andy Butler's headed clearance from a Yeovil corner fell nicely for Kieran Murtagh, around 25 yards from goal, Murtagh hit a right-footed shot that fizzled into the back of the net giving keeper Smithies no chance.

Town boss Lee Clark felt most of his side were physically and mentally drained from their exertions in that terrific tie at Newcastle and that certainly looked the case as Town's woeful passing saw them rarely fashion anything decent against their West Country opponents who came out of the blocks fast and furious.

Peter Clarke could have got the equalizer for Town six minutes later but he snapped at the shot which resulted in an easy save for Alex McCarthy. A minute later with some help from the shocking referee Simon Hooper, Yeovil were awarded a dubious penalty.

The Glovers striker Jon Obika, on loan from Tottenham, appeared to have kicked fresh air inside the Town box and tangled with ex-Glover Lee Peltier, Obika went down and referee Simon Hooper had no hesitation pointing to the spot which angered the Town faithful.

Gavin Tomlin stepped up, but Smithies dived to his left to block the shot and recovering fast to smother the loose ball, in which justice was done.
Tomlin throughout the game was repeatedly falling to the floor doing his Didier Drogba impression I suspect, which went missed by the officials.

England Under-21 boss Stuart Pearce was in the crowd and must be impressed with what he saw with the young Town goalkeeper. It was the teenager keeper's second penalty save in successive league games.

Town struggled at the back at times, Joe Skarz and Andy Butler not having the best of games, Peter Clarke managed to keep it together as Town found themselves at tomes under pressure far too often for comfort.
But the game gradually turned thanks to Theo Robinson, a real battler and with his runs that worried the Yeovil defence, got Town back on level terms.

With 33 minutes gone on the, Robinson snapped up at Anthony Pilkington cross that evaded the Yeovil defence for his sixth goal in Town colours.

It was still hard work all the way, though Lionel Ainsworth in his first start produced some good work and trouble Yeovil with his pace, it was tough to break down a Yeovil defence that stopped anything played over the top aimed for Robinson.

Clark made the changes, eventually employing all his four strikers, but it was midfielder Michael Collins, in his first start since Southend on the opening day, came up with what proved to be the winner on 65 minutes.

Ainsworth found space on the right and was picked out with Antony Kay's great cross-field pass. The winger placed his cross perfectly for Collins ghosting into the penalty box to plant a firm header past McCarthy.

At the death Smithies had to pull off a special save to deny Andy Welsh after Robbie Simpson missed a one-on-one chance with McCarthy.

Alex Smithies' penalty save proved to be the turning point of the match and Town did capitalize on it, it was important to get back to winning ways after a disappointing defeat at Bristol Rovers last week. The win against Yeovil has propelled Town to 4th in League One but a tricky trip next week to 3rd place MK Dons which will prove a real test for Lee Clark's men.

Sean's Star Man - Theo Robinson
Ran himself into the ground, worked hard and terrified Yeovil with his pace and timely runs. Well deserved his goal.


Town: Smithies, Peltier, P Clarke, Butler, Skarz, Ainsworth (Simpson 66), Kay (Goodwin 81), Collins, Pilkington, Rhodes (Novak 57), Robinson.
Subs not used: Glennon, N Clarke, Williams, Berrett.

Yeovil: McCarthy, Alcock, Caulker, Forbes, Jones (Welsh 72), Murtagh, Mason (O'Callaghan 81), Smith, Schofield, Obika, Tomlin (Williams 72)
Subs not used: Martin, Stam, Murray, Lindegaard.

Referee: Simon Hooper (Wiltshire)
Attendance: 12,646


There are currently no comments for this story. In order to post a comment, you need to be a registered Terrier Bytes member and logged in. Click here to login or here to register with Terrier Bytes.




10th Anniversary Edition - 2001 to 2011