Match Report- Huddersfield Town 2-2 Leeds United

Huddersfield Town story posted by Sean Makin on 27/02/2010
Another fine West Yorkshire derby took place between Huddersfield Town and Leeds United on midday Saturday afternoon kick-off and the 21,764 at the Galpharm Stadium saw a great game between two promotion-chasing sides in what was a great advertisement for League One football.Match Report- Huddersfield Town 2-2 Leeds United

Leeds now haven't been Town in their last five attempts as Town starved off a first home league defeat of the season to their local rivals with Gary Roberts scoring a late equalizer for the Terriers to share the points and keep Town in the running for that automatic second spot.

Having gone 2-1 down, Town showed their fighting spirit to grab a point but the Terriers had the better of the chances and the better of the play. A dodgy 20 minutes after the re-start saw Leeds grab two goals to go in front.

Town boss Lee Clark named an unchanged line-up after three, yes three, successive away wins which slotted Town back into the League One play-off places.
While Leeds manager Simon Grayson made one change to his team, replacing 18-year old Aidan White with on-loan Birmingham winger Gary McSheffery. Tresor Kandol was on the bench after recovering from a hamstring injury.

Town got off to a great start after only 12 minutes. Winger Anthony Pilkington received the ball around 25 yards from goal and hit a shot that took a deflection which looped over Leeds goalkeeper Casper Ankergren and into the net. Ankergren's body language showed that he was beaten long before the ball hit the net.

Town kept up the momentum, their confidence was brimming through the Town team but their lead was threatened twice in the 20th minute when Town goalkeeper Alex Smithies turned Robert Snodgrass' 20-yard shot round the post and then watched Luciano Becchio nod the resulting corner into the side netting.

Leeds found chances rare in the first 45 and Pilkington came within inches of grabbing his second goal of the game on 28 minutes. Beating Shane Lowry and curled a shot around Ankergren's goal with an effort he would have not got to had it been on target.

Lowry was soon booked for hacking down Pilkington as the former Stockport player gave the left back a torrid time and Grayson's defence had to withstand Town's attacking pressure.
Howson had a chance to get Leeds back into the game when he robbed Dean Heffernan on the right wing and sprinted into the Town box. His cutback was intended for Jermaine Beckford but instead it rolled to Peter Clarke who cleared to safety.

Town's top scorer Jordan Rhodes should have killed the game off minutes before the break. Gary Roberts and Lee Peltier linked well to slice open the Leeds defence and Peltier's cross fell nicely for Rhodes. With only Ankergren to beat the former Ipswich man blazed over from around eight yards out.

It took an urgent challenge from Howson to stop Rhodes smashing home Lee Novak's lay-off in first half injury time and Novak himself stroked an effort narrowly wide just seconds from the break.

Ankergren kept Leeds in the game early in the second half by rushing out to dispose Rhodes after the striker left Patrick Kisnorbo trailing but as Town began slack passing, Leeds began to get more into the game. Beckford missed a chance when he headed over Michael Doyle's cross as for the first time the Town stopper had been badly exposed.

Howson made the most of it in the 61st minute as the dangerous Snodgrass was given time and space on the left to whip in a cross that found the unmarked Howson, who nodded past Smithies to put the away side level.

Just five minutes later the away side took the lead. While Jermaine Beckford spent most of the game on his backside and looked as useless as Ashley Cole's excuses, Becchio looked the more threatening striker.
Again Snodgrass was at the heart of Leeds' second goal with a corner that was flicked on by Richard Naylor leaving Becchio to dispatch from point-blank range.

It looked as though the confidence would be drained out of Town's young team but the Town fans became the 12th man that inspired Lee Clark's men. As Town started to play it on the floor they looked threatening going forward every time.

It was a response that will have pleased Clark as Town's skipper Peter Clarke hit the post from a right wing cross, Antony Kay fired a half-volley just wide from 20 yards out and Novak forced Ankergren into a superb one-handed save.

But with time running out up stepped Roberts to guide a side footed finish past Ankergren from a deep Pilkington corner.

Sorry for the late report I have been snowed under with work.

Sean's Star Man - Anthony Pilkington
Scored one and set up another, Pilks had a good game and gave Shane Lowry a nightmare game in the process.


Town: Smithies, Peltier (T Clarke 90), P Clarke, Trotman, Heffernan, Pilkington, Kay (Collins 90), Drinkwater, Roberts, Novak, Rhodes.
Subs not used: Eastwood, N Clarke, Pearce, Robinson, Eccleston.

Leeds: Ankergren, Hughes, Naylor, Kisnorbo, Lowry, Snodgrass, Doyle, Howson, McSheffery (Johnson 77), Becchio (Kandol 80), Beckford
Subs not used: Martin, Kilkenny, Grella, Gradel, Bromby.

Referee: K Friend (Leicestershire)
Attendance: 21,764


There are currently no comments for this story. In order to post a comment, you need to be a registered Terrier Bytes member and logged in. Click here to login or here to register with Terrier Bytes.




10th Anniversary Edition - 2001 to 2011