Match Report- Gillingham 2-0 Huddersfield Town

Huddersfield Town story posted by Sean Makin on 06/03/2010
Huddersfield Town travelled to Gillingham's Priestfield Stadium and after being hammered 5-0 by Southampton four days earlier, Town once again travelled back to West Yorkshire with no points as the trip to the Priestfield turned into a nightmare.Match Report- Gillingham 2-0 Huddersfield Town
Battered by the Saints, Lee Clark was looking for an immediate reaction against relegation-battling Gillingham but things didn't get any better as Gills Canadian striker Simeon Jackson scored twice and Town's on-loan striker Nathan Eccleston was shown a straight red midway through the first half.

Lee Clark made two changes from the defeat down at Southampton, Australian left-back Dean Heffernan was dropped with Robbie Williams back in the starting XI, making his first start since January. Gary Roberts was dropped to the bench in favour for Nathan Eccleston.

Town were behind after only seven minutes Gillingham had threatened the Town goal in the opening minutes but deservedly took the lead through the Gills top scorer Jackson. Adam Miller blocked Williams' clearance and laid the ball off to Jackson, who from 30-yards, found the bottom corner of the net as Alex Smithies scrambled across his goal.

Smithies had to be alert right from the kick off. Twice denying Rene Howe and was booked for a challenge on Jackson outside the box.

Miller had been stamping his presence on the game, mostly winding up Eccleston and with half an hour gone the on-loan Liverpool youngster was shown a straight red for a reckless challenge on Gills Stuart Lewis.
Eccleston had lost the possession down the left and went in two-footed on Lewis which the referee Fred Graham had no hesitation of showing an immediate red card. Miller was then going round his team mates giving high fives and pats on the back.

The sending-off did put Town under more pressure as the Gills immediately had chances to extend their lead. Defender Garry Richards headed a chance straight at Smithies and Andy Barcham put a show wide of the post.

Town did end the half well put rarely troubled Gills 'keeper Alan Julian. It was Richards, who nearly put the ball in his own net, that almost got Town back on level terms as the defender diverted Anthony Pilkington's cross just wide.

Whatever the management team said at half-time counted for nothing as just 20 seconds into the second half Jackson doubled the Gills lead.
Jackson latched onto Howe's flick and after leaving Williams for dead the Canadian slotted home past Smithies.

Lee Novak put a half effort wide minutes after the Gills second but the home side looked more threatening. Howe was put clean through by Jackson but his poor touch allowed Smithies to clean up.
Smithies then denied Jackson his hat-trick with a superb double save as the Town defence was stretched in search for a way back into the game. Lee Clark had thrown on striker Theo Robinson for Williams in 3-3-3 formation.

Town sub Gary Roberts almost found the net with 10 minutes left but his 20-yard curling shot smacked the post and wide to safety. Fellow sub Robinson came close but Julian palmed the shit wide as the visitors made a go for in the final few minutes but it was too little too late for the Terriers.

Two defeat in quick succession for the Terriers as Millwall move back into 6th place with a last-minute equalizer at Walsall leaving Town in 7th place. Leaders Norwich City are the next visitors at the Galpharm Stadium.

Sean's Star Man - Alex Smithies
One again the young goalkeeper gets the vote for the second game in succession. Again if it wasn't the talented stopper the scoreline would have been much worse.


Gillingham: Julian, Lewis, Nutter, Richards, Dennehy, Jackman, Miller, Barcham, Weston, Jackson, Howe (Oli 73).
Subs not used: Maher, Bentley, Palmer, Dickson, Walker.

Town: Smithies, T Clarke, P Clarke, Trotman, Williams (Robinson 74), Eccles ton (Sent Off 30), Kay (Collins 54), Drinkwater, Pilkington, Rhodes, Novak.
Subs not used: Eastwood, Berrett, Pearce, N Clarke.

Referee: Fred Graham (Essex)
Attendance: 5,388


There are currently no comments for this story. In order to post a comment, you need to be a registered Terrier Bytes member and logged in. Click here to login or here to register with Terrier Bytes.




10th Anniversary Edition - 2001 to 2011