Report: Brentford 3-0 Huddersfield Town

Huddersfield Town story posted by Sean Makin on 11/04/2010
A horror show at Griffin Park has put a massive dent in Huddersfield Town's play-off hopes as old foes Brentford stuck the boot in.Report: Brentford 3-0 Huddersfield Town
Brentford's Charlie MacDonald struck twice and Lewis Grabban added one in between MacDonald's double and Town's Gary Roberts summed up the day for the Terriers by blasting a 91st minute penalty over the bar.

After a smash-and-grab 2-0 win over Oldham Athletic at the Galpharm on Tuesday night, Terriers boss Lee Clark had to make two changes, Anthony Pilkington has to come off during the Oldham match and still wasn't fit to face Brentford, a rare start was giving to midfielder James Berrett. Lee Peltier injured himself during the warm-up at Griffin Park which resulted in Tom Clarke filling in at right-back.

The home side made the most of the early running, Sam Wood's free-kick was the first test for the Town defenders, while at the opposite end Theo Robinson headed wide. Robinson, who had scored 4 in his last 4 games before this match, failed to hit the target as the Brentford defence failed to deal with Roberts's cross.

Grabban had the first shot on target after Alex Smithies' clearance fell straight to the winger but the Town keeper made up for his error by parrying the ball away to safety.

Brentford did have the ball in the net just after the hour mark when MacDonald's long range shot was deflected into the net by Grabban, but the goal was chalked off by the linesman's flag.

Town started the second half well but Robinson wasted a good chance to put the Terriers in front. Roberts' determination provided a chance for the 21-year old but he fluffed his shot wide. Jordan Rhodes had a good chance but headed over the top moments later.

Roberts forced a fine save from Brentford's on-loan goalkeeper Wojciech Szczensy, and the on-loan Arsenal keeper had to be alert to deny Michael Collins, before diverting a Robinson shot wide and Tom Clarke headed inches wide from the resulting corner.

The Bees had a penalty appeal waved away when Grabban was flattened in the box, but the home side were awarded a spot-kick moments later after Dean Heffernan handballed from a Brentford corner.
MacDonald made no mistake from 12 yards, easily dispatching past Smithies.

Lee Clark threw on Nathan Eccleston for Berrett to try and inject a fight back into the Terriers, but it was the home side who were in control as Myles Weston forced Smithies into a good save.

Roberts wasted a excellent chance to grab an equalizer for Town soon after but the former Ipswich Town man shot straight at Szczesny from close range. It was the turning point for Town as moments later Carl Cort set free Grabban, who fired past Smithies from around 15 yards out.

MacDonald killed the game off with his second of the game late on to wrap up the points for the home side.

Neal Trotman headed against the bar in the dying moments but Town had a chance to get a consolation in injury-time when Szcezesny came charging out from his goal to chop down Roberts.
The winger stepped up to take the penalty himself, but Roberts ballooned the shot way over the bar to crown a miserable away day for the Terriers.

Lee Clark criticised his side's defending after the game and to make matters worse for Town and their loyal supporters, Colchester United pulled off a surprise 3-0 victory over promotion-chasing Swindon Town. This defeat has put a massive dent into Town's play-off chase, Colchester are now on the same points as Town in 7th position and Town only have a 3 goal better difference.

Town's next three games include two at home against Walsall and the on-fire Millwall and away to recently-relegated Stockport County. These next three games are crucial if Town are to going to fight to stay in the play-offs.


Brentford: Szczesny, Foster, Osborne, Legge, Wood, Grabban (Saunders 87), Bean, Diagouraga, Weston, Cort, MacDonald.
Subs not used: Price, Hunt, Stevens, Blake

Town: Smithies, T.Clarke, P. Clarke, Trotman, Heffernan (Williams 83), Roberts, Collins, Drinkwater, Berrett (Eccleston 74), Robinson, Rhodes.
Subs not used: Eastwood, N. Clarke, Hunt, Pearce, Chippendale.

Attendance: 5,209
Referee: Andy Hall (West Midlands)


There are currently no comments for this story. In order to post a comment, you need to be a registered Terrier Bytes member and logged in. Click here to login or here to register with Terrier Bytes.




10th Anniversary Edition - 2001 to 2011