Huddersfield Town 0-0 Tranmere Rovers: The Report

Huddersfield Town story posted by Sean Makin on 14/08/2010
After an impressive 3-0 victory away at Notts County the previous weekend and scalping a 1-0 victory away to Carlisle United in the cup during the week, Town returned in buoyant mood to the Galpharm Stadium for their first home game of the season against Tranmere Rovers only to disappoint the home fans in a frustrating 0-0 draw.Huddersfield Town 0-0 Tranmere Rovers: The Report

The only positive to take from the game was the performance of Joey Gudjonsson and the fact it the first time since the 1960s that Town had kept clean sheets in their first three games.

Rovers, who had just avoided relegation the previous season, were well-organised and made it anything but easy for the Terriers and came close to give Town a couple of scares. Town themselves just never got going, slopping passing and unable to cope with Tranmere's packed midfield.

Town boss Lee Clark started with the same line-up that had beaten Notts County the previous week. Tranmere set the stall out with a 4-5-1 formation which included new signings Showumni, Welsh and Labadie. Veteran Ian Thomas-Moore looks set to stay at Prenton Park despite handing in a transfer request in midweek.

The game started sloppy with neither side able to string more than two passes but Rovers midfielder Terry Gornell forced Town keeper Alex Smithies into a flying save after Gornell hit a crisp 30-yard half volley that was destined for the net.

Smithies got away with it minutes later after Showumni chased down a pass back but the young Town keeper's clearance cannoned off Showumni and into the side netting.

With the help of Joey Gudjonsson, Town showed signs of life and the Tranmere keeper Joe Collister saved Rovers bacon after Jordan Rhodes broke away after some sloppy defending but Collister flung himself to turn away a fierce drive.

Gudjonsson himself had a angled free-kick blocked in the goalmouth and Scott Arfield should have but Town in the lead just before the break when the Scottish midfielder weaved his way into the box but the finish was lacking as the ball rolled past the post with Collister beaten.

The breakthrough Town were wanting was lacking conviction and Lee Clark sent on Lee Novak for Joe Garner, Theo Robinson for Rhodes and Damien Johnson on for Scott Arfield.

With ten minutes to go Anthony Pilkington burst past Ian Goodison down the left and from the byline he delivered a great low cross that Collister dived on to deny Robinson.

It was one of those days for Town after Gary Naysmith, on his home debut, was given a second yellow for a follow on Rovers' Kayleden Brown with 5 minutes to go.

Robinson had a great chance to win the game for Town from Pilkington's cross but the striker headed wide as Collister came out flapping from his goal line.

Sean's Star Man - Joey Gudjonsson
His passing is excellent but unfortunately against Tranmere Rovers, none of his teammates were switched on like he was. For me he's the standout player in the Town team.


Town: Smithies, Peltier, P Clarke, McCombe, Naysmith, Pilkington, Gudjonsson, Arfield (Johnson 74), Roberts, Garner (Novak 62), Rhodes (Robinson 70)
Subs not used: Bennett, Kay, Croft, Carey.

Tranmere: Collister, Darville, Goodison, Wood, Cresswell, Thomas-Moore, Welsh, Labadie, McLaren (Blanchard 75), Gornell, Showumni (Brown 75)
Subs not used: Miotto, Bakayogo, McGurk, Power, Fraughan.

Referee: G Eltrington (Tyne and Wear)
Attendance: 13,707


There are currently no comments for this story. In order to post a comment, you need to be a registered Terrier Bytes member and logged in. Click here to login or here to register with Terrier Bytes.




10th Anniversary Edition - 2001 to 2011