Huddersfield Town 3-1 Charlton - Match Report

Huddersfield Town story posted by Sean Makin on 28/08/2010
A solid Huddersfield Town display saw off promotion-contenders Charlton Athletic on a sunny Saturday afternoon at the Galpharm Stadium. Superb goal from Jordan Rhodes, a powerful header from defender Jamie McCombe and a well-stuck volley from Gary Roberts gave Town a 3-0 lead with Matt Fry replying for Charlton in stoppage time.Huddersfield Town 3-1 Charlton - Match Report

Was a good all-round performance by the Terriers after suffering two defeats in five days with most notable the performance on Celtic loanee Graham Carey, the Irishman terrorised the Charlton defence with his pace and trickery.

Town boss gave a debut to striker Alan Lee, a £350,000 signing from Crystal Palace. Goalkeeper Alex Smithies passed a fitness test after being taken off injured in the midweek Carling Cup clash with Everton, left-back Gary Naysmith was out injured though the academy graduate Liam Ridehalgh given his debut for the Terriers at left back. Scott Arfield replaced the suspended Lee Peltier at right-back with Antony Kay coming in to the midfield. Chris Atkinson was given a place on the bench but striker Theo Robinson was dropped altogether and rumours are he could be leave Town before the transfer window shuts on Tuesday.

Charlton gave goalkeeper Ross Worner his debut while former Town favourite Pawel Abbott was spearheading the Addicks attack with another former Town player Akpo Sodje on the bench.

The match started off a tight affair, neither side having really any clear-cut chances. Arfield had his hands full against Charlton's pacey winger Kyle Reid, who scored a stunner at the Galpharm the previous season.

Carey fired a free-kick from the right side on the penalty area over the bar before finding Rhodes with another free-kick but the former Ipswich striker headed against a defender. The winger then fired just wider after bursting into the penalty area, beating two Charlton defenders along the way, only to see his shot trickle past Worner's far post.

Town started to up the tempo but Rhodes wasted a chance firing timidly at Worner but last season's top scorer made amends for his wasted chance by firing Town into the lead on 39 minutes with a superb lob.
Rhodes burst away after a long ball caught the Addicks defence out and with Worner rushing out from his goal, Rhodes calmly lobbed the ball over the keeper to notch his forth goal of the season.

Three minutes later Town doubled their lead. Seconds earlier Rhodes had been brought down by Worner for a clear-cut penalty but referee Mr Sailsbury, who had a torrid afternoon, signalled that the Addicks keeper had got to the ball. Defender Jamie McCombe avenged the injustice by powering in a header past Worner from a Carey cross after a short corner.

After the restart Reid tried to get Charlton back into the game but after beating a couple of Town players he lashed the ball miles over. Reid again had another chance for the Addicks but after beating Arfield he failed to hit the target.

Town's new signing Lee had a solid debut. Offered Town something different, winning most of the aerial battle with the Charlton defence and holding up the ball bringing his team mates into play. The 6ft 5ins front man was unlucky not to score on his debut as Worner produced a superb fingertip save to deny the former Republic of Ireland international.

Town stayed in control but Roberts fired a 25-yard volley over and midfielder Joey Gudjonsson wasted a free-kick but with eight minutes left on the clock Roberts wrapped up the game for Town. Carey again at the heart of it finding Roberts at the back post with a brilliant cross and the former Accrington Stanley man fired a crisp volley into the net.

Charlton sub Matt Fry scored in the dying moments of stoppage time. The former West Ham trainee beat two Town players before his deflected shot beat Smithies in the Town goal. It was Charlton's first effort on target.

It was a good, solid overall performance by the Terriers against a side who have their sights on promotion. Academy graduate Liam Ridehalgh gave a sound display at left-back and Scott Arfield did well at right-back even though it is not his natural position. Next up for Town is Bournemouth at the Galpharm, even without their talisman Brett Pitman the side who won promotion for League Two last season have adapted well to life in League One.

Sean's Star Man - Graham Carey
A superb display from the winger on loan from Celtic. Set up two goals and gave the Charlton right-back Simon Francis a hard time. When I saw Carey in pre-season I thought he looked the part, always willing to take players on and his crossing is excellent, I don't think many full-backs in this league will stop this lad. A bright career ahead of him I should say.


Town: Smithies, Arfield, McCombe, P Clarke, Ridehalgh, Roberts, Gudjonsson, Kay, Carey, Rhodes (Novak 68), Lee (Garner 88).
Subs not used: Bennett, Johnson, Croft, Atkinson, Goodwin.

Charlton: Worner, Francis, Doherty, Dailly, Jackson (Fry 89), Wag staff (Sodje 70), McCormack, Semedo, Reid, Abbott, Martin.
Subs not used: Elliott, Llera, Racon, Mambo, Tuna.

Referee: Graham Sailsbury (Lancs)
Attendance: 13,858


There are currently no comments for this story. In order to post a comment, you need to be a registered Terrier Bytes member and logged in. Click here to login or here to register with Terrier Bytes.




10th Anniversary Edition - 2001 to 2011