Report: Huddersfield Town 2-1 Cambridge United

Huddersfield Town story posted by Sean Makin on 16/11/2010
Huddersfield Town left to into the dying moments before ruining Cambridge United's cup dream as Town struck twice in injury time to book their passage to the second round of the FA Cup.Report: Huddersfield Town 2-1 Cambridge United
Cambridge were so close to causing an upset as Town failed to get out of first gear as Rory McAuley put the U's in front just after the break but Lee Peltier struck in the first minutes of the five minutes added on, then in the dying seconds Gary Roberts pounced to score the winner with the Town fans in the paltry 3,766 breathing a sigh of relief.

Town were without Anthony Pilkington who is going to London to try and sort out a hamstring problem that forced him to come off before the break against Oldham. This meant Gary Roberts made his first start since breaking his arm against Swindon Town back in September. Jordan Rhodes was dropped to the bench in favour of Alan Lee, so too was Joey Gudjonnson in favour for Scott Arfield who impressed in the second half against Oldham.

The nearest Town got to scoring in the first half was over-ambitious long range effort against non-league opposition. Even captain Peter Clarke was joining in the fun with a 35-yard strike and there can be little disagreement that it was Cambridge who had the better chances.

The former Yeovil striker Wayne Gray left Liam Ridehalgh for dead and then crossed for the unmarked Danny Wright for what seemed routine finish, except the U's striker managed to balloon his shot over the bar from eight yards out.

Town goalkeeper Ian Bennett was lucky to stay on the field when he came racing off his line and crashed into on-running Robbie Wilmott. It did seem though that Bennett did get to the ball but when the referee Graham Salisbury blew for a free-kick it looked like Bennett would be shown a red, the referee instead showed him a yellow which has the U's manager Martin Ling blowing a gasket on the sidelines.

But Bennett showed how valuable he was as he kept the Terriers in the game as he saved McAuley's effort before David Partridge's flick-on header bounced just wide of the post.

Bennett saved superbly to keep Cambridge at bay just before the break when Wright put Simon Russell through on goal as the sides went in at the break goalless.

Whatever Lee Clark said at the break must have fallen on deaf ears as Cambridge took the lead eight minutes after the break and again from another set-piece. James Jennings' corner was met with a powerful header by McAuley.

It seemed to inject some life into the Terriers as Scott Arfield's goal bound header was cleared by Kevin Roberts on the line and Joey Gudjonsson, on for Graham Carey, flashed a shot across the Cambridge goal with no one failing to connect.

Benik Afobe went close but Danny Naisbitt matched his shot beating the ball away from goal and the late onslaught by Town saw Naisbitt save with his legs to keep out Jordan Rhodes as the striker burst through on goal.

As the forth official held up his board for added on time Lee Peltier crashed home his first goal for Town since joining from Yeovil in the summer of 2009. A Gary Roberts' corner was not cleared and Peltier blasted the ball into the back of the net from 12 yards.

Then unbelievably, Gary Roberts was the saviour as he swooped to net the winner three minutes later.

A smash-and-grab late win for Town as they largely disappointed but they have booked their second round tie with Macclesfield Town at the Galpharm Stadium at the end of the month.

Sean's Star Man - Damien Johnson
Lead by example against Cambridge, keeping it simple and try to inject some life into Town's first half poor display. Held to together in midfield.


Town: Bennett, Peltier, P Clarke, Kay (McCombe 57), Ridehalgh, Roberts, Johnson, Arfield, Carey (Gudjonsson 68), Lee (Rhodes 57), Afobe.
Subs not used: Smithies, N Clarke, Atkinson, Chippendale.

Cambridge: Naisbitt, Roberts, Jennings, Coulson, Partridge, McAuley, Russell, Willmott, Carden, Wright, Gray.
Unused subs: Brown, Coakley, Ives, Patrick, Eades, Marriott, Hughes.

Referee: Graham Salibury
Attendance: 3,766


There are currently no comments for this story. In order to post a comment, you need to be a registered Terrier Bytes member and logged in. Click here to login or here to register with Terrier Bytes.




10th Anniversary Edition - 2001 to 2011