Report: Huddersfield Town 4-1 MK Dons

Huddersfield Town story posted by Sean Makin on 23/11/2010
A solid performance by Huddersfield Town saw off MK Dons at the Galpharm Stadium and lifted The Terriers back into the play-off spots with a convincing victory that was a much needed confidence booster.Report: Huddersfield Town 4-1 MK Dons
The match has been dubbed the '70s night' by the commercial department and rolling out the great players of yesteryear in the likes of Frank Worthington and Malcolm Brown, the spirit must have rubbed off on the Town players to lift moral after the dismal defeat to Exeter on Saturday.

The former Town greats were paraded on the pitch at half-time having already sunk a few pints and must have been worse for wear come the final whistle but Town did give them reason to cheer with a deserved victory. Goals from Antony Kay, Gary Roberts and a brace from Jordan Rhodes secured the comfortable victory with Aaron Wilbraham scoring the consolation for the McDonalds.

Town boss Lee Clark made three changes after the defeat to Exeter. Goalkeeper Alex Smithies returned to the starting XI for the first time in 12 games at the expense of Ian Bennett, defender Jamie McCombe partnered the skipper Peter Clarke in defence which resulted in Antony Kay pushed up into midfield in place of Joey Gudjonsson. Lee Peltier failed a late fitness test so Scott Arfield slotted in at right back and Joe Garner was recalled to partner Jordan Rhodes in attack.

MK Donalds were without Luke Chadwick and Sam Baldock, who has been a thorn in Town's side in the past, so Dons manager Karl Robinson recalled Sean O'Hanlon and Lewis Guy.

Town started brightly with Rhodes and Roberts testing David Martin in the Dons goal but the Dons gave Town a real scare again from a corner.
The corner shouldn't have been given in the first place when Jabo Ibrehe's shot was deflected but a Dons player was standing in a offside position, the linesman flagged but referee Mr Webb gave a corner.
From the resulting corner Danny Woodard's header was blocked on the line and Peter Clarke put his body on the line to prevent Dean Lewington from pouncing in a crowded goalmouth.

Town began to turn the screws and pushing MK Donalds back and a diving header from Anthony Pilkington saw Martin produced a superb one-handed save.
Rhodes was proving a handful for the Dons defence testing Martin again but it was midfielder Antony Kay that broke the deadlock on 24 minutes.

Pilkington's ball caught out Mathias Doumbe and he knocked the ball into the path of Kay who had no trouble dispatching past Martin from around 10 yards out.

Gary Roberts doubled Town's advantage eight minutes later, Roberts nipped in front of Garner to notch an easy header into the goal after Pilkington's corner was knocked back into the six yard box by Damien Johnson.

It was a much better performance by Town than the one on Saturday. We looked better with two up front with the Town players were getting crosses into the box and willing to shoot rather than walk the ball into the net. McCombe and Clarke playing well at the back and Johnson was breaking down any Dons attack. Arfield was reliable as ever at right-back.

Michael McIndoe hit a superb free-kick from the edge of the Town box inches wide just before the break, had it been on target it would have beaten Smithies, but Town deserved their lead at the break.

It was pretty much cut and dry just minutes after the break when Pilkington's low cross found Rhodes who turned and hammered the ball into the net for his second of the night.

Dons manager Robinson made two substitutions and one of those, Aaron Wilbraham, scored with his first touch of the ball. A poor kick by Smithies resulted in the Town defence and midfield getting muddled up and Wilbraham lashed home to put the Dons back in the game.

The Dons had rarely troubled throughout and when the other sub Daniel Powell marched through the Town defence to fire a shot straight at Smithies which started to play on the nerves of the Town fans.

The Dons danger soon swiftly over as Lee Clark threw on Benik Afobe for Garner and the on-loan Arsenal striker fired into the side netting with a crisp shot from the edge of the area.

Minutes later the 17-year old burst through on goal but his shot hit the post and fell kindly to Rhodes who easily dispatched for his 10th goal of the season.

Damien Johnson and Stephen Gleeson got into a rather comical exchanges of slaps in the latter stages of the games but the referee kept his cards in his pocket.

It was the second 4-1 defeat for the MK Donalds in three days having been beaten by Sheffield Wednesday by the same scoreline on Saturday and they rarely tested the Town goal as Town dominated. The swagger of the free-scoring side of last season has glimpses coming through but this win was a much needed confidence boost for the whole club after a bit of doom and gloom lately.

Next up for The Terriers is the FA Cup second round tie at home to Macclesfield Town on Saturday.

Sean's Star Man - Jordan Rhodes
Gave the Dons defence trouble all night and deserved his two goals. Much need confidence boost for the striker as he looked like scoring every time he got the ball. Played well with Garner up front. Damien Johnson and Jamie McCombe also deserve some credit for a solid performance.


Town: Smithies, Arfield, McCombe, P Clarke, Carey, Pilkington, Johnson, Kay, Roberts (Ridehalgh 57), Garner (Afobe 57), Rhodes.
Subs not used: Bennett, Lee, Croft, N Clarke, Gudjonsson.

MK Dons: Martin, Woodard, O'Hanlon, Doumbe, Lewington, Gleeson, Carrington (Wilbraham 55), Leven, McIndoe (Johnson 66), Guy, Ibehre (Powell 55).
Subs not used: Searle, Chicksen, Hamann, MacKenzie.

Referee: D Webb (County Durham)


There are currently no comments for this story. In order to post a comment, you need to be a registered Terrier Bytes member and logged in. Click here to login or here to register with Terrier Bytes.




10th Anniversary Edition - 2001 to 2011