Southampton 4-1 Huddersfield Town: Report

Huddersfield Town story posted by Sean Makin on 29/12/2010
A dismal day for Huddersfield Town on the south coast as The Terriers crashed to a 4-1 defeat to the hands of fellow promotion-chasers at St. Mary's Stadium.Southampton 4-1 Huddersfield Town: Report
After a disappointing 1-0 defeat two days earlier at home to Hartlepool United, Town boss Lee Clark was hoping for a reaction against the Southampton but our dismal record at the Saints continues despite taking the lead early on in the match.

Town remain in third place in League One after failing to pick up any points in the last two games and could have gone in the automatic positions had they beaten Hartlepool on Boxing day as it was the only match that had beaten the big freeze in League One.

Clark ran the changes to the Town side. Out came Jamie McCombe, who was ill, to be replaced by Tom Clarke for his first start in months. Lee Peltier returned from a one-match ban to slot in a right-back which meant Scott Arfield was pushed up in to midfield in favour of Joey Gudjonsson. Alan Lee and Lee Novak spearheaded the Town attack in favour of Joe Garner who was dropped and Jordan Rhodes was placed on the bench.

The Saints nearly took the lead but Peter Clarke saved Town with an acrobatic header after Adam Lallana volley smartly over Alex Smithies.

Town started brightly after the scare with Lee hitting the post with a header from an Arfield cross and Arfield himself wasted a glorious opportunity to put The Terriers in front after good work from Novak, but, Novak wasn't to squander his chance as he put Town in the lead with 15 minutes played.

Gary Roberts' cross picked out Novak who planted his header past Kelvin Davies in the Saints goal.

The Saints levelled 13 minutes later as Rickie Lambert ended his goal-drought. The ex-Bristol Rovers striker latched on to a Dan Harding throw-in to lash a crisp 18-yard drive past Smithies in the Town goal.

Just three minutes on from Southampton equalizing they took the lead through highly-rated Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain. The Liverpool-target jinxed his way through a crowded Town box and slotted the ball into the bottom corner. 2-1 to The Saints.

Lallana then hit the bar before bringing a smart save from Smithies and Peltier went close for Town just before the break but just five minutes into the restart the game was dead and buried for The Terriers.
Experienced defender Radhi Jaidi rose highest to head home from a Lallana free-kick on 51 minutes.

Clark through on Benik Afobe and Gudjonsson to try salvage something from the match but the final nail was put in Town's coffin when Richard Chaplow powerful drive hit the back of the net on 72 minutes.

Two games in three days and two defeats and The Terriers head to the happy hunting ground of Brunton Park, the home of Carlisle United on New Years Day (Saturday) and two days later the Yorkshire derby against Sheffield Wednesday at the Galpharm in front of the Sky cameras.

A new signing is to be announced in the next week or so but Town need to be more consistent if they are to challenge for promotion this season.

Sean's Star Man - Lee Novak
Took his goal well and as always gives everything to the Town cause. Gave the Southampton defence a headache throughout and was involved is some nice build up play.


Southampton: Davis, Harding, Fonte, Butterfield (Richardson 46), Jaidi, Schneider in (Chaplow 55), Guly, Hammond, Lallana, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Lambert.
Unused Subs: Bialkowski, Barnard, Seaborne, Connolly.

Town: Smithies, Peltier, P Clarke, T Clarke (Gudjonsson 70). Roberts, Kay, Pilkington, Arfield, Carey (Ridehalgh 31), Lee (Afobe 58), Novak.
Unused Subs: Bennett, N Clarke, Rhodes, Atkinson.

Referee: JJ Linington (Isle of Wight)


There are currently no comments for this story. In order to post a comment, you need to be a registered Terrier Bytes member and logged in. Click here to login or here to register with Terrier Bytes.




10th Anniversary Edition - 2001 to 2011