Report - Huddersfield Town 0-0 Swindon Town

Huddersfield Town story posted by Sean Makin on 19/03/2011
Huddersfield Town were held to a stalemate at the Galpharm Stadium by relegation-battling Swindon Town. The Terriers had more than their fair share of chances but Paul Hart's Swindon dug their heels in and at times rode their luck to take share of the points back to Wiltshire.Report - Huddersfield Town 0-0 Swindon Town

The home side hit the bar twice and had a few chances cleared off the line towards the end but despite the goalless draw it extends The Terriers unbeaten run to 17 games which is the club's best in 91 years.

Huddersfield boss Lee Clark made three changes to the squad from Tuesday night's win over Brentford at Griffin Park. New loan signing Danny Ward was given his first start, Gary Naysmith was back from injury and replaced Stephen Jordan at left-back, Jordan has now had it loan deal cut short and returns to Sheffield United, and Lee Novak was given the nod to partner Jordan Rhodes in the Town attack in favour of Benik Afobe.

Right from the off Jack Hunt gave the ball away carelessly but fortunately for The Terriers, Swindon's Matt Ritchie failed to capitalise on the error as he failed to test Alex Smithies in the Town goal.
The home side responded when captain Peter Clarke headed wide from a Gary Roberts corner and in the 8th minute Rhodes struck the Swindon crossbar with a header from Ward's cross that had David Lucas in The Robins goal beaten.

Swindon's Andy Frampton denied Roberts as he was about to have an effort on goal and the winger tested the Swindon goal on 25 minutes after a smart build up play but Lucas produced a fine save to deny Town the lead. The Terriers upped the pressure and were playing, at times, some neat one-touch passing with Kevin Kilbane at the heart of it.

Roberts was booked a minute later when it looked like Mike Grella had bundled the winger down in the Swindon box and Peter Clarke's header was cleared off the line by The Robins captain Jonathan Douglas.

Scott Cuthbert made a smart intervention to deny Rhodes as he was bearing down on goal and before the break defender Jamie McCombe had a header than skimmed the post after a neat cross from the left by Naysmith.

In the second half Swindon made life more difficult for Town to play their passing game and the visitors could have taken the lead on 48 minutes. Calvin Andrew shrugged off McCombe near the byline and laid the ball off for Ritchie, but the former Portsmouth winger miscued his shot which luckily for Town rebounded off the post with Naysmith clearing the danger.

Referee Chris Sarginson was doing his best to annoy the Town faithful by giving The Terriers hardly anything and Swindon everything and when the referee adjudged that Naysmith brought down Andrews on the edge of the box, Alan Sheehan hit a well-struck free-kick straight at Smithies, had it been either side of the goalkeeper and Swindon might have been in front.

Sub Danny Cadamarteri, on for Rhodes, was causing Swindon problems and David Prutton, the man with the rather dodgy barnet, skewed his clearance but luckily for The Robins goalkeeper Lucas was alert to the danger.

Lee Novak should have hit the target from Ward's smart cross but the striker headed wide and Lee Clark towards the end threw on Afobe for Novak and Alan Lee for Ward in search of the winner.

At the second half petered out, The Terriers' chances were few and far between but suddenly the game sparked into life in the dying minutes. Kilbane's cross from the left was superbly met by the head of Alan Lee but the ball smacked the crossbar and out for a goal kick.

Then twice in a minute Town had two chances cleared off the line. Peter Clarke's effort looked like it had crossed the line and then McCombe had a similar effort cleared off the line but Paul Caddis looked like to have used to hand to deny the ball crossing the line. Referee Sarginson did nothing and that was the end of that.

Sean's Star Man - Peter Clarke
A solid rock at the heart of the Town defence, the defender hardly put a foot wrong all game and was unlucky to score at the death.


Town: Smithies, Naysmith, P Clarke, McCombe, Hunt, Roberts, Arfield, Kilbane, Ward (Lee 83), Novak (Afobe 73), Rhodes (Cadamarteri 60)/
Subs not used: Bennett, Gudjonsson, Ridehalgh, T Clarke.

Swindon: Lucas, Caddis, Cuthbert, Frampton, Sheehan (Jean-Francois 86), Douglas, Ritchie (Rose 76), Prutton, Timlin, Grella (Amankwaah 62), Andrew.
Subs not used: Benyon, Smith, McGovern, Ferry.

Referee: C Sarginson (Staffs)
Attendance: 13,907 (292 away fans)


There are currently no comments for this story. In order to post a comment, you need to be a registered Terrier Bytes member and logged in. Click here to login or here to register with Terrier Bytes.




10th Anniversary Edition - 2001 to 2011