Report - Charlton Athletic 0-1 Huddersfield Town

Huddersfield Town story posted by Sean Makin on 16/04/2011
Joey Gudjonsson's second-half thunderbolt was enough to make sure Huddersfield Town took all three vital points against Charlton Athletic to keep up with the race for automatic promotion. The win proved crucial as Southampton, Peterborough and MK Dons all won and with Rochdale's defeat at home to Brentford, ironically, Robbie Simpson on-loan from the Terriers scoring the only goal at Spotland, Town secured a play-off spot.Report - Charlton Athletic 0-1 Huddersfield Town
With seven minutes to go the former Burnley midfielder lashed home a well-struck free-kick from the edge of the Charlton penalty box in a game that either side had chances in the second 45 as The Terriers stretch their unbeaten run to 21 matches.

Town boss Lee Clark stuck with a tried and tested method away from the Galpharm sticking with the 4-3-3 system. After scoring a dramatic equalizer against Peterborough, Jack Hunt was back in the starting XI in favour of Danny Ward who was on the bench. Jordan Rhodes was left on the bench with Benik Afobe favoured to spearhead Town's attack.

Jamie McCombe was alert right from the off when Bradley Wright-Phillips, who Town was rumoured to be interested in the January transfer window, played through Scott Wagstaff but the former Bristol City defender denied the pacey winger with a superb tackle.
Paul Benson, who had a habit of throwing himself to the ground, had a tame effort which was easy for Bennett and Peter Clarke denied the former Dagenham striker with a well-timed challenge.

Charlton's on-loan left back Bassone, on loan from Leeds, looked to be having a torrid time all match against Hunt. The academy graduate turned Bassone inside out down the right and looked to be brought down in the Charlton box but referee Oliver Langford was having none of it.

Afobe nearly latched on to a Peter Clarke clearance but the on-loan Arsenal striker couldn't bring it under control. A superb cross field ball by Gudjonsson found Hunt, his cross found Gary Roberts, his ball back into the box failed to be cleared by the Charlton defence and Gudjonsson's strike was blocked and easily gathered by Addicks goalkeeper John Sullivan.

Gary Doherty headed straight at Ian Bennett from a Michael Stewart free-kick and Benson's snap shot from the edge of the area flew miles over the bar. Kevin Kilbane's 25-yard drive just before the break flew wide as neither side really created clear-cut chances in the first 45.

Just minutes after the break Charlton midfielder Stewart had a long-range effort that had to be gather at the second attempt by Bennett, then a neat passing move from Charlton resulted in the former Manchester United trainee screwing his shot horribly wide just inside the Town box.

Doherty was in the right place to deny Scott Arfield from having a headed attempt at goal after a good cross from the right by Afobe and then Gudjonsson floated a cross that saw Roberts head across the face of goal.

McCombe headed straight at Sullivan, Peter Clarke headed over and then Lee Peltier headed inches wide, all from Town corners and Just before the hour mark Stewart did enough to stop Afobe from having an attempt at goal. At the other end Bennett tipped wide a superb long-range shot by Wagstaff.

Town's confidence grew as the game went on but McCombe and Peter Clarke were alert to Charlton attacks as the Town captain denied Wright-Phillips as he was baring down on goal. Goalkeeper Bennett superbly denied Wagstaff with a on-rushing block and tipped Jose Semedo's header over the bar on 70 minutes.

Charlton midfielder Therry Racon decided to have a dance with Lee Clark on the touchline, the midfielder was running at full pelt on the touchline to stop the ball going out of play but instead ran into Clark, both grabbed each other and span around a few times to the amusement of Town supporters in the away end.

Town threw on striker Lee Novak with 15 minutes left in place of Gary Roberts to go two up front and Town took the lead on 83 minutes.
Gudjonsson was brought down 30 yards from goal and took the free-kick himself which was blocked by Kyle Reid's hands in the wall. At the second attempt the Icelandic midfielder drove a stunning strike through a massive gap in the Charlton wall into the top left hand corner.

In a bid to get a equalizer, Doherty was thrown up front for The Addicks but substitute Antony Kay, on from Afobe, denied the former Norwich player in the Town box. It was nail biting time for the Town faithful as the minutes ticked away but Town held on for the vital three points.

Sean's Star Man - Jack Hunt
His pace caused Charlton problems all match, the academy graduate worked hard all 90 minutes and linked up well with Lee Peltier down the right side.


Charlton: Sullivan, Solly, Bessone, Fortune, Doherty, Wagstaff, Stewart, Semedo, Racon (Reid 79), Wright-Phillips, Benson.
Subs not used: Francis, Llera, Nouble, Parrett, Eccleston, Gough.

Town: Bennett, Naysmith, P. Clarke, McCombe, Peltier, Kilbane, Gudjonsson, Arfield, Roberts (Novak 74), Afobe (Kay 87), Hunt.
Subs not used: Colgan, Ward, Rhodes, Lee, Morrison.

Attendance: 15,879 (1,333 away fans)
Referee: Oliver Langford (West Midlands)


There are currently no comments for this story. In order to post a comment, you need to be a registered Terrier Bytes member and logged in. Click here to login or here to register with Terrier Bytes.




10th Anniversary Edition - 2001 to 2011