Report: Huddersfield Town 1-1 Bury

Huddersfield Town story posted by Sean Makin on 07/08/2011
The opening day of the npower League One season saw Huddersfield Town share the spoils with newly-promoted Bury after a rather lethargic display by the Terriers. The Terriers never got their rhythm going in the first half but during the second period they were beginning to find their feet and took the lead midway through the second half thanks to winger Gary Roberts. Throughout the game Town's passing game was rather laboured with passes going a stray.Report: Huddersfield Town 1-1 Bury

Bury were proving that they were no pushovers and with their high pressing game made it difficult for Town to break down and The Shakers deservedly equalized with 15 minutes to go through striker Ryan Lowe.

Terriers boss Lee Clark favoured a 4-2-3-1 formation that he had been using during pre-season and four players were making their debuts. Calum Wood, Oscar Gobern, Anton Robinson and Donal McDermott were all making their first appearances in the blue and white stripes and it also saw the return of winger Danny Ward.
The bench also featured two other summer signings of Liam Cooper and Tommy Miller which has now been reduced to five substitutes after a vote between the Football League and the clubs.

Goalkeeper Alex Smithies is having problems with his knee so goalkeeper Ian Bennett deputised in his absence. Antony Kay partnered captain Peter Clarke at the heart of the defence with Gary Naysmith at left back, Gobern and Robinson played the two holding midfield roles with Ward and McDermott playing on the flanks. Gary Roberts played behind the lone striker Jordan Rhodes.

The visitors started brightly as The Shakers captain former Bradford midfielder Steven Schumacher fired high and wide with a 30 yard shot and a miss-control of the ball by Kay allowed Ryan Lowe to play Mark Cullen through on goal but the on-loan Hull City striker was denied by a superb sliding tackle from Calum Woods.

The Bury defence were proving difficult to break down with former Town defender Efe Sodje throwing himself around to deny Town's attacking threat. Another Town old boy was playing for Bury in left-back Joe Skarz.

Bury should have had a penalty with 11 minutes gone when Cullen went down under Peter Clarke's challenge when the striker was bearing down on goal. My initial reaction thought it was a penalty and having seen replays of the incident it was a definite penalty as Clarke got nothing of the ball.

Cullen was replaced by Andy Bishop minutes later and with the striker had a shot straight at Bennett after good work on the left by David Worrell. Town's Anton Robinson was replaced by Tommy Miller just before the half our mark with a suspected hamstring injury.

Tommy Miller had a strike easily saved by the Bury goalkeeper Cameron Belford and on the stroke of half time Rhodes pass found McDermott, the former Manchester City winger had showed some nice touches and his cross from the left narrowly missed the outstretched leg of Danny Ward who was running in at the far post.

Into the second half with 52 minutes gone manager Lee Clark decided to make changes. Striker Lee Novak came on for McDermott changed the system to a 4-4-2 formation with Novak partnering Rhodes up front and it appeared to have word.

Novak's hard work injected some life into Town as they began to get a slight hold on the match and with 66 minutes gone Town took the lead.

Rhodes stole the ball off Schumacher midway in the Bury half and fed the ball to Novak on the right flank. Novak headed for the byline and his brilliant low cross found Gary Roberts who lashed the ball into the back of the net.

The Town fans hoped the goal would lift the players confidence to go get a second goal to kill the game off but Bury stood their ground and Danny Ward looked desperate to score often trying to cut inside to shoot rather than cross.

The Town defence had a scare when Lowe fed through Worral, the winger rounded goalkeeper Bennett but Peter Clarke was there to stop the ball crossing the line but just two minutes later Bury did have their equalizer.

A long throw deep in the Town half found Lowe in the Town box and the striker turned Kay before lashing in a shot from six yards out.

Town pressed but failed to create any clear cut chances but in the 89th minute Bury keeper Belford pulled off a superb save to deny his own defender Mark Hughes as he tried to cut out a low cross from the right by Woods.

Town boss Lee Clark admitted it was a disappointing start to the season and he will be looking forward to the local trip to Rochdale next Saturday.

Sean's Star Man - Calum Woods
Looks a tidy replacement for Lee Peltier. A sturdy display against Bury, kept it simple and produced some superbly timed tackles.


Town: Bennett, Naysmith, P.Clarke, Kay, Woods, Gobern, Robinson (Miller 29), McDermott (Novak 52), Ward, Roberts, Rhodes.
Subs not used: Colgan, Cooper, Lee.
Bury: Belford, Picken, Sodje, Hughes, Skarz, Worrall, Schumacher, Sweeney, Jones (Howarth 90), Lowe (Mozika 90), Cullen (Bishop 23).

Subs not used: Branagan, Futcher.

Referee: G Scott
Attendance: 13,873


There are currently no comments for this story. In order to post a comment, you need to be a registered Terrier Bytes member and logged in. Click here to login or here to register with Terrier Bytes.




10th Anniversary Edition - 2001 to 2011