Report: Oldham Athletic 1-1 Huddersfield Town

Huddersfield Town story posted by Sean Makin on 05/09/2011
Huddersfield Town returned from Oldham Athletic's Boundary Park with a point which was probably a fair result as either side failed to convert their chances. It was a fairly fiery Yorkshire-Lancashire derby with the home side having a man sent off late in the second half.Report: Oldham Athletic 1-1 Huddersfield Town

Shefki Kuqi, who had signed for The Latics on transfer deadline day, scored after only six minutes on his debut but ten minutes later Anthony Kay equalized for The Terriers and when Oldham's other new signing Bradley Diallo was sent off late in the second half, Town failed to make the extra man count.

The Terriers had beaten Northampton Town 2-1 in the Johnstone Paint Trophy on Tuesday night and manager Lee Clark changed to a 4-3-3 formation with Tommy Miller coming back into a three man midfield alongside Anton Robinson and Oscar Gobern. Danny Ward was picked ahead of Donal McDermott so too was Lee Novak ahead of Alan Lee and Jordan Rhodes was away on international duty.
Nick Colgan picked up a back strain so young goalkeeper Lloyd Allinson was on the bench alongside Damien Johnson after playing 90 minutes in a development game on Wednesday.

It didn't get off to a great start for Town as Oldham scored after only six minutes courtesy of the much-travelled Kuqi.
Diallo ran with the ball down the left flank and with Jack Hunt and Danny Ward both standing there looking gormless at the ball, the debutant picked out Kuqi unmarked in the six yard box to plant a header past Ian Bennett. Cue the trademark dive celebration.

Town followed up with a Gary Roberts deep free-kick down the left that found the head of Antony Kay but the former Barnsley man headed wide of The Latics goal.

Jaime McCombe didn't have a great first half for The Terriers as he appeared to be second to every ball that came into Town's half as Oldham looked threatening in the oppositions half but Kay stood firm getting in some decent blocks and tackles.

It was Town's stand-in skipper that got The Terriers back level with 16 minutes gone. Ward forced a corner from Kieran Lee and Roberts' delivery was met by a Kay volley around 12 yards out that thundered onto the post and crossed the line.

Kay's equalizer put a spark into Town, Ward's cross after beating Zander Diamond was well defended by a one time Town target Jean Yves M'Voto and then Gobern's long-range effort was stopped by Alex Cisak.

Gary Roberts should have done better after an excellent run by Gary Naysmith. The former Everton defender received the ball from Ward and skipped past both Lee and Chris Taylor before playing a deep cross to the back post, the cross found Roberts but the winger failed to hit the target with his half volley.

As the game headed towards the break neither side failed to create any chances but Oldham's Filipe Morais had a long-range effort parried away by Bennett and at the other end Ward tested Cisak in the Oldham goal.

The rain was pouring down and made the conditions difficult for both sides with players from either side falling over and the referee didn't help. The referee gave Town little and appeared to have no control of the match giving the most stupid of free-kicks, even at one point giving Oldham a corner even though an Oldham player had touched the ball over the line and a few challenges did merit a yellow card that were overlooked.

Oldham started the second half straight out of the blocks and went close with Morais and Reuben Reid both having chances, Reid found Morais as the back-post but the Portuguese winger failed to hit the target from six yards out but luckily for him he was flagged offside. Seconds later, Reid had a shot that was parried away by Bennett and cleared by Naysmith.

Gary Roberts had another chances to should have buried just before the hour mark. Jack Hunt so often as he has done this season got forward down the right and delivered a superb cross into the six yard box where for, somehow in the life in me, Roberts failed to connect with and Diamond cleared his lines.

Lee Novak broke clear but a good tackle from M'Voto denied the striker a chance at goal but the former Gateshead man managed to lay the ball to Miller just inside the area but Kieran Lee managed to knick the ball off Miller's toe as he was about to shoot.

Town threw on Donal McDermott for Gary Roberts with 65 minutes played and the former Manchester City winger was causing the Oldham defence problems with his trickery down the right flank but at times appeared to try take every player on rather than get a shot in at goal.

With 14 minutes left an Oldham corner was cleared by Town and as The Terriers tried to hit a counter attack, Gobern overran the ball but Diallo's lunging tackle caught the midfielder late and the referee was in no hesitation to show the defender a red card to which Latics manager Paul Dickov has since reacted by saying "their lad went down like a screaming baby".

Lee Clark immediately took off Gobern for Alan Lee and the big striker nearly scored again as like last week against Wycombe, with his first touch of the game. Lee received the ball on his chest just inside the Oldham box and on turned on the half volley but his superb effort was denied by the crossbar.

Oldham were holding out of the point as Dickov made defensive changes and the time wasting drills were starting.

Town huffed and puffed but failed to find a winner. Ward had a half volley effort that flew just over the bar and McDermott had a few chances to shoot at Cisak's goal but failed to pull the trigger. The conditions didn't help as crosses into the box were going a stray and so too at times did the passing.

Town find themselves in 7th place in League One after 2 wins and 4 draws and next up is Les Parry's Tranmere Rovers at the Galpharm Stadium so expect a team who will set up stall for a point.

Sean's Star Man - Antony Kay
Took his goal well on the half volley but also did well with his defensive duties getting in some vital tackles and throwing themselves in front of the ball to deny Oldham attacks.


Town: Bennett, Hunt, McCombe, Kay, Naysmith, Gobern (Lee 77), Miller, Robinson, Ward, Roberts (McDermott 64), Novak.
Subs not used: Allinson, Johnson, Cooper.

Oldham: Cisak, Lee, M'Voto, Diamond, Diallo (Sent off 76), Morais (Mellor 77), Wesolowski, Adeyemi, Taylor, Reid (Lund 85), Kuqi (Smith 80).
Subs not used: Gerrard, Tarkowski.

Oldham: Wesolowski
Town: Gobern

Attendance: 6,213 (2395 away fans)
Referee: C Webster.


There are currently no comments for this story. In order to post a comment, you need to be a registered Terrier Bytes member and logged in. Click here to login or here to register with Terrier Bytes.




10th Anniversary Edition - 2001 to 2011